Spuddigger

Senior List
Oct 19, 2018
Australind WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur.
I have heard many in the media talk last year about the "crisis" in AFL of low scores. People flooded talkback and said that they were bored with AFL, because it is too defensive and there aren't enough goals kicked.

Peanuts like Gerard Whatley and Andy Maher were even talking about having a forum to discuss how to improve scoring in the game.

New rules were brought in, like 6-6-6, and other rules to increase scoring, yet we have the lowest scoring season for many years.

What I don't get is this.

People who follow AFL complain about the low scoring, and how it makes the game boring, yet many of the same people will watch soccer.

Hang on. Isn't soccer low-scoring? Aren't nil-all draws or 1-0 scorelines more common than not?

Yet soccer is one of the biggest sports globally and some call it the "beautiful game".

I don't hear soccer media complain about how to increase scoring. I don't hear talkback callers say that they won't watch soccer anymore because the scores are too low. I don't hear of forums on how to increase scoring, and FIFA don't change the rules to increase scoring.

So, what is the difference? Isn't it hypocritical to abandon one sport because of low-scoring, while following another who has the exact same problem?

Also, soccer don't see low scores as a problem.

So, who has it wrong? Is soccer wrong to not change scoring so that there are bigger scores, or is AFL wrong to worry about how low the scoring is in their game?

Fact is, I like high-scoring games, but some low scoring games can be good if there are other things that made the game good (such as the pressure, like in finals).

Also, making scores higher isn't the panacea many think it could be. I fear that increasing scoring might cause better teams to kick higher scores, but lower teams may still not be able to, and there could be more blowouts and one-sided games, and that wouldn't be interesting. Whereas low scores lends itself to closer contests, and both teams being in the game until the end.

So, is the AFL too obsessed with high scores, and why does it matter in AFL when it doesn't matter in world football?
When the new rules came in Mr Negative ( Malthouse) thought it was the end of the world. There will be blow outs all over the place. Coaches adapt . The comp is very even and faster. As for soccer, do you notice that the ball is being soccered more now? Pressure.

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
I

So, it is not necessarily about the low scores to me. Some of the better games over the years usually feature scores of 60-80 points by both sides. The problem lies with the reason why there are low scores, which as I stated as my opinion earlier is due to the low skill level. I just don’t remember a year where there are so many teams that struggle to hit targets and kick straight forward goals like this.

And I thought it was just the Swans. We're trending!

It's dumb that the 'high-score' advocates feel the need to benchmark us against the VFL. The old amateur suburban league isn't any kind of model for the contemporary league. Teams today are much much fitter and deploy vastly more sophisticated defence.

Also they don't give any weight to importance of the contest. I'd hate every game to have fewer than 15 goals scored but if I had to I would take it over a goal-fest that is over by halftime.

Leigh Matthews has been saying that even though scores aren't higher the ball is moving around more this year. There are probably stats that can measure that (like metres gained per quarter) but that seems like progress. Certainly the kickout rule seems to be helping clear the area.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I have heard many in the media talk last year about the "crisis" in AFL of low scores. People flooded talkback and said that they were bored with AFL, because it is too defensive and there aren't enough goals kicked.

Peanuts like Gerard Whatley and Andy Maher were even talking about having a forum to discuss how to improve scoring in the game.

New rules were brought in, like 6-6-6, and other rules to increase scoring, yet we have the lowest scoring season for many years.

What I don't get is this.

People who follow AFL complain about the low scoring, and how it makes the game boring, yet many of the same people will watch soccer.

Hang on. Isn't soccer low-scoring? Aren't nil-all draws or 1-0 scorelines more common than not?

Yet soccer is one of the biggest sports globally and some call it the "beautiful game".

I don't hear soccer media complain about how to increase scoring. I don't hear talkback callers say that they won't watch soccer anymore because the scores are too low. I don't hear of forums on how to increase scoring, and FIFA don't change the rules to increase scoring.

So, what is the difference? Isn't it hypocritical to abandon one sport because of low-scoring, while following another who has the exact same problem?

Also, soccer don't see low scores as a problem.

So, who has it wrong? Is soccer wrong to not change scoring so that there are bigger scores, or is AFL wrong to worry about how low the scoring is in their game?

Fact is, I like high-scoring games, but some low scoring games can be good if there are other things that made the game good (such as the pressure, like in finals).

Also, making scores higher isn't the panacea many think it could be. I fear that increasing scoring might cause better teams to kick higher scores, but lower teams may still not be able to, and there could be more blowouts and one-sided games, and that wouldn't be interesting. Whereas low scores lends itself to closer contests, and both teams being in the game until the end.

So, is the AFL too obsessed with high scores, and why does it matter in AFL when it doesn't matter in world football?
Couldn't agree more, it's ridiculous. If scoring is your focus you're not really interested in 'the game'.

I'd argue a blind cat could / should kick a goal with no goalkeeper - what's AFL's players excuse?
They run harder on a much bigger surface and are buggered when they line up for a shot and also the higher technicalities of kicking an oval ball.

Roksman

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
They run harder on a much bigger surface and are buggered when they line up for a shot and also the higher technicalities of kicking an oval ball.
Higher technicalities? It's a free shot with no goalkeeper to execute the most basic of fundamentals to kick the ball which a junior footballer should be executing - yet we're talking about full time professionals? You're being very generous.

I don't have the stats in front of me but I'd argue a soccer midfielder runs 12km-13km per game on average at the highest level - which wouldn't be far behind AFL. I think you're clutching at straws if I'm being honest - I love both sports with a passion but you're kidding yourself if you think AFL requires more skill than soccer. There's a reason why people like Blicavs, Keath, Cox aren't playing professional soccer after a couple years of training. There's a reason why there are no "code hoppers" playing in the Champions League.

Anyway, this thread is now hijacked and I won't make it worse.

PurpleHornet

Senior List
May 9, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Vast majority of people are morons and think scoring = quality and then of course the opposite.

The root cause of this is that we haven't been allowed to breed out the intellectually disabled (those with an IQ lower than 125).
An IQ of 125 puts someone in the top 5% of the population. Losing 95% of the population might make it a bit difficult to put together any players for a team? How would Collingwood have any supporters?

Would do wonders for congestion though....

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
The root cause of this is that we haven't been allowed to breed out the intellectually disabled (those with an IQ lower than 125).

And even if we did, there'll still be a fair segment of people who are arrogant, selfish, and socially and emotionally *ed.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Agreed. The constant resetting gets old fast. Give me a tight, contested scrap where goals are like gold over a 40 goal shootout any day.

Yup. As long as the game is engrossing I couldn’t care how many goals are kicked. There’s nothing quite like two highly skilful teams just nullifying each other. Eagles vs Swans mid 2000s was an example of that.

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
An IQ of 125 puts someone in the top 5% of the population. Losing 95% of the population might make it a bit difficult to put together any players for a team? How would Collingwood have any supporters?

Would do wonders for congestion though....

All you've done is list positives.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Unpopular opinion...

I don't like high scoring games and rather low scores, 60-70 or 70-80 is better than 110-120, goals mean more and the contest is tough.

As long as it's 2 good sides footy is still great to watch, The off field stuff is the problem, MRO, mixed messaging, media reporting, umpires protection and fights in crowds.

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Our game nowadays revolves around rugby rucks, kicking sideways and a heap of athletes running around like one of Henry the V111's wives. Low scores are here to stay unless they get rid of the point posts for goal posts.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Higher technicalities? It's a free shot with no goalkeeper to execute the most basic of fundamentals to kick the ball which a junior footballer should be executing - yet we're talking about full time professionals? You're being very generous.

I don't have the stats in front of me but I'd argue a soccer midfielder runs 12km-13km per game on average at the highest level - which wouldn't be far behind AFL. I think you're clutching at straws if I'm being honest - I love both sports with a passion but you're kidding yourself if you think AFL requires more skill than soccer. There's a reason why people like Blicavs, Keath, Cox aren't playing professional soccer after a couple years of training. There's a reason why there are no "code hoppers" playing in the Champions League.

Anyway, this thread is now hijacked and I won't make it worse.

Just different skills, really. An Aussie rules player has to be adept at marking, jumping, spoiling, kicking an oval ball of course, running, bouncing etc. It varies depending on your role, but there's a basic skill set every player should have. Soccer focuses more on foot/ball skills, different tactics etc. But I'm sure you know this. So yeah, it's a bit silly to say which requires more skill etc.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Easy fix here, AFL should make a goal worth 12 points and 1 point worth 2 points. Instant higher scoring without changing the fundamentals of the game

Well if 200 becomes the new 100, then anything below like 160 will be low scoring lol.

Back