• Yes

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Hell yeah!

Votes: 70 72.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are forgetting the guy who is out a season? Their real 2nd best defender? Keath and Hartigan were made to look good because we were terrible.

Others were missing too....

and you also mentioned goal averages not being as high, well you did compare AFL averages to what someone is doing in the SANFL, that's not comparable.

Regardless, when all is said and done, the giant sea gull Josh Jenkins is daylight ahead of every fwd we've drafted outside Tredrea, that says a whole lot about the quality or lack there of.

None of these failures went elsewhere and turned it around...
Keath is in most people's All Australian team. Doddee hasn't been around since Rd 1 and by your equation, every week the crows defence will be undermanned.

What I brought up was Billy has played his last 2 games playing basically as a forward and not a ruck forward and has delivered.

It was you who brought up averages by saying 10 goals from 4 games and not dissecting that.

What I brought up was Billy has played his last 2 games playing basically as a forward and not a ruck forward and has delivered.
I'm happy to admit I was wrong on that, but people were calling on him before that too....

Keath is in most people's All Australian team. Doddee hasn't been around since Rd 1 and by your equation, every week the crows defence will be undermanned.
He's been out since R1, just like Rance, of course that means they are undermanned still.... The Crows defence is better with him.... Hartigan wouldn't get a game with us with Jonas/Clurey/Howard and Houston.

And let's not pretend the Crows are in any sort of form either.... they have beaten no one, looked average in their wins and had the easiest draw imaginable. This is the same team who got spanked by North....

And let's not pretend the Crows are in any sort of form either.... they have beaten no one, looked average in their wins and had the easiest draw imaginable. This is the same team who got spanked by North....
Hence we need a change to personnel, as we aren't going to change the way we deliver the ball inside 50 so structure up to the way we actually do play, and not how we would like to play, which rarely happens.

You’re not playing this game right.

You see, if Frampton doesn’t play and the problems still persist, we can blame Ken for not playing a contested marking forward.

If Frampton does play but the problems still persist, we can blame Ken for not developing a contested marking forward.

If Frampton doesn’t play and the problems disappear, we can blame Ken for not using the opportunity to use an easy game to develop a contested marking forward.

If Frampton does play and the problems disappear, we can pat ourselves on the back for knowing more about football than Ken and still say he should be sacked.

There is no possible outcome that results in this board saying that they got it wrong, because they all believe that playing a 1 game ruck cum forward is the panacea to fixing crap decision making and execution when it comes to delivery into the forward line.

Frampton will fix Marshall’s horrible delivery to Westhoff and Broadbent.

Frampton will fix Sam Gray kicking to a 3 on 3 in the goal square.

Frampton will fix Powell-Pepper constantly being caught behind his man.

Frampton will fix Johnson kicking the ball on top of Westhoff’s head.

Frampton will fix Farrell not targeting a Westhoff v Brad Crouch one on one.

Frampton will fix Westhoff not blocking for Johnson and instead peeling off for the loopy handball when it was a 2 on 2 anyway.

Frampton will fix everything.
WOW! Frampton must be a really good player. Why isn’t he in the team?

You're so close to getting it.

1. We can blame Ken for not playing a contested key forward when we've been crying out for one, as Frampton was waiting for ******* ever last year too
2. Because he wasn't played last year, guess what, Frampton hasn't had AFL development. He could be further ahead now than he is.
3. You were only just last week talking about how we shouldn't be bringing in raw players against the Crows because Gold Coast is an easier game. Is that magically wrong now?
4. Yep, because the duration of his ****up shows he isn't up to managing his list to build towards a premiership, and keeps making stupid and short sighted selections.

Isn't it weird how ****ups thats someone keeps ******* up just build and build until there are multiple aspects to the sheer enormity of your conglomerate ****up?

I guess if you understood that, you'd be aware of how your regular self-contradictions when talking about football/justifying the status quo are affecting your perception in the eyes of others.

1. Frampton was played as a ruck last year. It's only this year that he's been pegged as more of a key forward. And Dixon was playing. Plus we weren't playing the same system we are now - it was that crap build from the back style that emphasised defence, that relied on speed once we reached halfway. We were never playing another big forward in that system. We became a back half team rather than a front half team in 2018.

2. See point 1.

3. I've been consistent in saying that I would play Frampton until Dixon returns, but he's not 'the answer' that people claim he is. 'The answer' is better delivery inside 50 - not hit and hope rubbish entries that go nowhere. We need a more methodical system when teams flood back and play a +2 in defence. Frampton won't fix that, and if playing him encourages the players to keep delivering the ball the way they are at the moment, it will never get fixed.

4. Managing a list towards a premiership means educating players with first hand experience as to what to do when the opposition throws different looks at you, so that when the list is ready to challenge they know instinctively what to do in any given situation. It's not playing one all-compassing structure that no one can beat, because that doesn't exist. Playing a system that is fluid and adaptable to changes in formation, however...that is something no one can beat.

Adelaide was the first team we've played that stacked their defence as a tactic and played us on the counter. That's why we had a scoring efficiency of 8% or so. For a team that experienced to play like that against a forward line that contained 4 players with a combined total of under 50 games says a lot about how much they were worried about our ability to score in spite of that inexperience.

For mine, Billy should get games against Gold Coast, Hawthorn, St Kilda and Fremantle. That's a good run to see if he's going to make it as an AFL player. Especially since I expect all those teams to play us exactly the same way Adelaide played us and stack their defensive line.

Future 2

Let's all get carried away thinking a kid is gonna fix everything :)
I posted earlier that we have become a sad lot if we are pinning our hopes on s player who has played one AFL game. I think our views are heavily influenced by the selection decisions over the years. If for just five minutes we viewed Westhoff as a centre/wing rather than a tall, we would get our balance right. It’s like we are working to some magical formula regarding talks v smalls and stuff structure and positioning. I need a break I think.

1. Frampton was played as a ruck last year. It's only this year that he's been pegged as more of a key forward. And Dixon was playing. Plus we weren't playing the same system we are now - it was that crap build from the back style that emphasised defence, that relied on speed once we reached halfway. We were never playing another big forward in that system. We became a back half team rather than a front half team in 2018.

2. See point 1.

3. I've been consistent in saying that I would play Frampton until Dixon returns, but he's not 'the answer' that people claim he is. 'The answer' is better delivery inside 50 - not hit and hope rubbish entries that go nowhere. We need a more methodical system when teams flood back and play a +2 in defence. Frampton won't fix that, and if playing him encourages the players to keep delivering the ball the way they are at the moment, it will never get fixed.

4. Managing a list towards a premiership means educating players with first hand experience as to what to do when the opposition throws different looks at you, so that when the list is ready to challenge they know instinctively what to do in any given situation. It's not playing one all-compassing structure that no one can beat, because that doesn't exist. Playing a system that is fluid and adaptable to changes in formation, however...that is something no one can beat.

Adelaide was the first team we've played that stacked their defence as a tactic and played us on the counter. That's why we had a scoring efficiency of 8% or so. For a team that experienced to play like that against a forward line that contained 4 players with a combined total of under 50 games says a lot about how much they were worried about our ability to score in spite of that inexperience.

For mine, Billy should get games against Gold Coast, Hawthorn, St Kilda and Fremantle. That's a good run to see if he's going to make it as an AFL player. Especially since I expect all those teams to play us exactly the same way Adelaide played us and stack their defensive line.

In reality your point 3 rests squarely on Kens head (and is our biggest issue) - I agree.

The method we bring it in is actually designed isn't it? (It's Kens system), that's the way he approaches it. When he goes on to talk about missing opportunities because we get it in there so much he is actually bypassing any commentary about the method, he thinks it's fine.

I notice during games opposition kicking to a leading target, you kinds stop and go man, why can't we do that? We make it look so damn hard.

Maybe Frampton won't play or be the saviour, but I guess he does deserve a shot doesn't he? AJ didn't but it suits the way Ken wants to play.

Ken either changes (never will) or he goes (will eventually be sacked).

In reality your point 3 rests squarely on Kens head (and is our biggest issue) - I agree.

The method we bring it in is actually designed isn't it? (It's Kens system), that's the way he approaches it. When he goes on to talk about missing opportunities because we get it in there so much he is actually bypassing any commentary about the method, he thinks it's fine.

I notice during games opposition kicking to a leading target, you kinds stop and go man, why can't we do that? We make it look so damn hard.

Maybe Frampton won't play or be the saviour, but I guess he does deserve a shot doesn't he? AJ didn't but it suits the way Ken wants to play.

Ken either changes (never will) or he goes (will eventually be sacked).

I've never heard him once say that our system is to bomb the ball in to outnumbered situations that the opposition can exploit.

He might say that our system is designed around repeat entries, but he's also said on many occasions that the players have to change the angle of entry and present different looks for the opposition to deal with.

Johnson enables us to keep the ball locked inside 50 and create those different looks. How many times did we work the ball around the 50 meter arc quickly and change the angle? Never. Marshall tried doing something like it once to Broadbent but he ****ed up the kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd be playing Howard because he's a known quantity because he was given the opportunity to prove himself.
Marshall has been given that opportunity.... How is he taking it?

Howard is light years ahead of anyone in the SANFL.

Howard has come up through a defence that was regular overloaded with extra players during his ascent to where he is now. Well supported by players who have come through with him.

Half the time Marshall seems to be the loneliest boy in the world, surrounded by enemies. He's definitely taken over the 2018 Jack Watts role of "why is he so consistently up against two or more guys?". Its weird to see a young KPF winning more contested ball than uncontested, but here we are.

Fun fact: In 2019, Port has four players with more contested than uncontested possession

Scott Lycett 71:50
Paddy Ryder 60:29
Todd Marshall 26:25
Aidyn Johnson 8:5

Interesting list, huh

Marshall has been given that opportunity.... How is he taking it?

Howard is light years ahead of anyone in the SANFL.

He's learning and that's what we want. What is your point exactly?

He's learning and that's what we want. What is your point exactly?
Salter, White, Butcher etc etc were all learning too?

Or they just weren't good enough?

I don't want someone learning how to present in the fwd line on the biggest stage. He rightfully copped both barrels from the Commentators on Saturday.

Last edited:
Salter, White, Butcher etc etc were all learning too?

Or they just weren't good enough?

I don't want someone learning how to present in the fwd line on the biggest stage. He rightfully copped both barrels from the Commentators on Saturday.
If we don't blood the young guys we have now, within two years you're going to be watching a team of newborn calves play football.

If we don't blood the young guys we have now, within two years you're going to be watching a team of newborn calves play football.
I love this place after a loss.... Ryder is no good, Gray is no good... everyone is finished blah blah blah

Well atleast we have passion.

I've never heard him once say that our system is to bomb the ball in to outnumbered situations that the opposition can exploit.

He might say that our system is designed around repeat entries, but he's also said on many occasions that the players have to change the angle of entry and present different looks for the opposition to deal with.

Johnson enables us to keep the ball locked inside 50 and create those different looks. How many times did we work the ball around the 50 meter arc quickly and change the angle? Never. Marshall tried doing something like it once to Broadbent but he ****** up the kick.

Maybe the players can't execute the gameplay then, maybe
I love this place after a loss.... Ryder is no good, Gray is no good... everyone is finished blah blah blah

Well atleast we have passion.

Time for a red.

Maybe the players can't execute the gameplay then, maybe

They won't be able to execute any gameplan if they can't recognise that bombing the ball into an outnumbered forward line isn't the way to succeed.

'Play what's in front of you' means taking a bit more time to set up the entry by moving it around the field and sometimes back into defence to draw the defenders out of inside 50. That's how a premiership side will approach that sort of s**t by Pyke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back