• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Power have been in the competition since 1997, we need to accept and respect this so they should be honoring their original jumper in fairness.

I dont understand how the Power think they are 150 years old.

Port-1.gif

How did that guernsey ever get through an approval process. What a heap of indistinguishable meaningless crap

I think when it was launched they said the pointy bits on the front were a magpie’s wing or something? If you have to explain a design to people, it doesn’t work

I cannot imagine anyone sitting in the final approvals meeting looking at that and going “Ooh yes, I do like that, that’s great..”

But then, when you have no tradition that’s what you end up with I guess

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's easy.

I have long been and advocate of the Power being formed in 1996/7. The Power were formed as an SANFL controlled composite side branded as the Port Adelaide Football Club. With the exact structure as us.

However the SANFL club established in 1870 was merged just before going bankrupt with the Power in 2010.

Meaning that they are now the club that was established in 1870 and can rightfully claim that history.

Just like the Chinese makers of MG own the history of that great British sportscar maker.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Given later comments about your use of sarcasm I’m unsure if you’re serious about this...

However if so, I’m not sure I agree. Merging an incorporated association (SANFL Magpies) with a limited liability company (Power) doesn’t give the new club any more history

If the magpies were going bankrupt it’s less likely a merger and more likely the Power took over the assets and liabilities of the magpies

If that’s the case it doesn’t change the fact that the Power has only existed since 1997

If the Crows had bought the assets and liabilities of the magpies it doesn’t mean they can claim a longer history

We couldn’t put “Est 1870” on the back of our guernsey and pretend it’s true, because it’s not. We couldn’t say “We’ve won 14 000 flags” because we haven’t. We’d just own the cups won by the now non-existent club that did win them

The fact that both clubs use the Port Adelaide name doesn’t mean there is somehow magically a link between the old and the new, as much as they’d like to claim it

If that’s what happened, what it really means is that the magpies SANFL history stopped at 1997, when the Power reserves (known as the magpies SANFL league team) started. So not only can the Power not claim the SANFL history, nor can the team now known as Port Adelaide Magpies. That’s just a trading name for the Power in the SANFL

If I’m correct, the team with the history no longer exists. The other two can claim that they’re “one club” because they are - a club with two teams in two competitions, with history dating back only to 1997

Last edited:
May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I think it's an AFL directive to the media, they need the pear talked up to maximize memberships because if they don't the AFL will be stuck with the bill.
This would make sense. For years I thought the footy media were still obsessed with Port's 2014 season but that can't be the reason 5 years down the track.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Given later comments about your use of sarcasm I’m unsure if you’re serious about this...

However if so, I’m not sure I agree. Merging an incorporated association (SANFL Magpies) with a limited liability company (Power) doesn’t give the new club any more history

If the magpies were going bankrupt it’s less likely a merger and more likely the Power took over the assets and liabilities of the magpies

If that’s the case it doesn’t change the fact that the Power has only existed since 1997

If the Crows had bought the assets and liabilities of the magpies it doesn’t mean they can claim a longer history

We couldn’t put “Est 1870” on the back of our guernsey and pretend it’s true, because it’s not. We couldn’t say “We’ve won 14 000 flags” because we haven’t. We’d just own the cups won by the now non-existent club that did win them

The fact that both clubs use the Port Adelaide name doesn’t mean there is somehow magically a link between the old and the new, as much as they’d like to claim it

If that’s what happened, what it really means is that the magpies SANFL history stopped at 1997, when the Power reserves (known as the magpies SANFL league team) started. So not only can the Power not claim the SANFL history, nor can the team now known as Port Adelaide Magpies. That’s just a trading name for the Power in the SANFL

If I’m correct, the team with the history no longer exists. The other two can claim that they’re “one club” because they are - a club with two teams in two competitions, with history dating back only to 1997
In a comercial sense I believe you are technically correct.

But the reality is, it is now accepted truth the Power were formed in 1870. Them merging, well taking over the Magpies, makes it slightly more palatable. However they really are the Chinese MG to the real British MG of yesteryear.

Back when I was passionate about this I was a member of the Magpies attending a lot of games and key meetings. It was my SANFL club (I had family play there over the years) and seeing the Power bastardise their direct claim on the history of a truly proud club was annoying. Especially given the initial period of the Power's existence they made no such claims and changed their point of view in the early 2000s.

End of the day at least the history of that proud SANFL club will be celebrated. Because the AFL existance really has been a stench of failure since 2007. There are few highlights in the Power era and looking back at all the success the real Port Adelaide has had since 1870 will be pretty good.

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
In a comercial sense I believe you are technically correct.

But the reality is, it is now accepted truth the Power were formed in 1870. Them merging, well taking over the Magpies, makes it slightly more palatable. However they really are the Chinese MG to the real British MG of yesteryear.

Back when I was passionate about this I was a member of the Magpies attending a lot of games and key meetings. It was my SANFL club (I had family play there over the years) and seeing the Power bastardise their direct claim on the history of a truly proud club was annoying. Especially given the initial period of the Power's existence they made no such claims and changed their point of view in the early 2000s.

End of the day at least the history of that proud SANFL club will be celebrated. Because the AFL existance really has been a stench of failure since 2007. There are few highlights in the Power era and looking back at all the success the real Port Adelaide has had since 1870 will be pretty good.

I take your point and I like your posts

It might be my pedantic legal mind but I just can’t accept that the Power can be considered to have been established in 1870

Other than that, for the benefit of traditional Port supporters like you I’m glad you can continue to celebrate that tradition :thumbsu:

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
Ventured over to the Port board before and saw that they're back to celebrating hypothetical wins again.

Apparently Port should be viewed as a 7-1 team, I guess the Adelaide, Brisbane and Richmond losses have been hypothesised out of existence.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Ventured over to the Port board before and saw that they're back to celebrating hypothetical wins again.

Apparently Port should be viewed as a 7-1 team, I guess the Adelaide, Brisbane and Richmond losses have been hypothesised out of existence.
Yeah but we didn't play the game on its merits and defended too hard against their forward line.

Also Port will be unstoppable when Dixon gets back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back