List Mgmt. 2018-19 DFA & SSP Period (Midseason Draft after Round 10)

BT1986

Draftee
May 14, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Michael Gibbons - (Sam Docherty)
Matthew Cottrell - (1 spot from Rookie Draft)

We got our pick from Bugg retiring. Pickett hasn’t been put on the LTI. I’m confident in saying we can only get 1 player in the mid season draft. I’m told it’s Lowson or Hirst we will go after.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Would like Dunkley by the sounds of the hype lately.

But I'd also like Lowson, fits a need as well.

Any way we can get both? If you're listening, AFL, perhaps a mid season draft PP is in order..?

CFC18

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I think the order should really be based on last year's positions - it's ridiculous a team that's been languishing on the bottom may miss out on their preferred choice to a team that hasn't missed the finals for a decade, and likely finishes ahead of us again this year anyway.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

Zuribagger

Hopeful
May 6, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Is anybody else hearing that they may be pushing Lobbe into retirement (with a full payout included) so as to open a second spot in the draft? Just something else I heard a week ago. If true they must have two targets at least.

Would be good - we need smalls. We have Flip & Cas (& TDK) as backups for Kreuz.

Like Gandaal, when thinking about potential mid season pick ups playing VFL, it’s natural to compare them to players on our list and lament pick ups like Finbar and Cottrell...

(jeremias, please clarify what you mean: are you saying we are only allowed to say positive things about list management decisions and our players? If so, imo it would make the Carlton bigfooty board unique.... and not very honest).

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
What do people know about Cody Hirst, apparently the blues are looking at him as well.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

I'm failing to see the hype around Lowson, especially at 23 years of age. Clubs usually throw up some names as a smokescreen, and he looks like one.

What do people know about Cody Hirst, apparently the blues are looking at him as well.
Read back a couple of pages. Elite agility testing last year, albeit at about 68 kgs.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton

I'm failing to see the hype around Lowson, especially at 23 years of age. Clubs usually throw up some names as a smokescreen, and he looks like one.

Read back a couple of pages. Elite agility testing last year, albeit at about 68 kgs.

What can you tell me about Frank Anderson Jimmae, artical on him about needing an op on hip few years back that hindered playing footy before having it fixed, haven't been able to get to any NB's games so this year but read/ heard some good things about him...

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
What can you tell me about Frank Anderson Jimmae, artical on him about needing an op on hip few years back that hindered playing footy before having it fixed, haven't been able to get to any NB's games so this year but read/ heard some good things about him...
He's solid, but he's not at the level required for our pick in this draft just yet. There's much more promising kids, and players like Mitch Hibberd that are worthy of that top 3 selection we'll have.

As to what we might do with a second selection, I'm going to wait and see how the talent pool crystallises.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
I don't know I thought he looked alright. Seems stronger than he looks, has great balance (didn't go to ground much at all, very important in my books), big kick (set shot with the man on the mark outside 50 isn't bad!), very good pressure with lots of second & third efforts and even a couple of contested marks which is handy for a small.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

CFC18

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't know I thought he looked alright. Seems stronger than he looks, has great balance (didn't go to ground much at all, very important in my books), big kick (set shot with the man on the mark outside 50 isn't bad!), very good pressure with lots of second & third efforts and even a couple of contested marks which is handy for a small.
Yeah seems a good overhead mark for a small, good burst of pace, and doesn't appear to panic under pressure, often holding onto it until a good option presented itself. I'm confused as to how those highlights could put you off him.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

Depends how we're approaching the pick, I suppose Jim.

If we've identified a need for a small forward, he looks a good choice. Small but still strong, good balance, goal sense, decent pair of hands, nice acceleration, makes repeat efforts. He's not a Rioli, but I'm not sure we should set the bar that high for the mid-season rookie draft.

He may not be "best available" though, if that's the approach we take. Unless there's someone too good to pass up though, filling an area of immediate need makes a lot of sense. The opportunistic small forward role is also one that I really do believe you can just plug a player into without them having trained all that much with the group. A mid or defender, on the other hand, probably needs a bit more time to gel.

Back