Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personal responsibility is just a foreign concept to some people.

The govt gets a bit of money out of me from alcohol and petrol, zero from cigarettes and next to zero from gambling. I'd prefer that a carton of beer was $20-30 instead of double that due to excise and I'd prefer they didn't add about 50 c/L to the cost of litre of fuel but these aren't the worst things they are doing to screw over the people.

For a dog it is possibly better to be with a homeless (or beggar on street who has a home) person as they are with their master all day every day. Far better than stuck at home in the yard while the master goes to work.

Most I see around Adelaide look to be in good health and happy.

There was a bloke in Perth (haven't seen him around for years but also don't tend to go through the same part of the city) that had a dog and little trolley/stretcher thing (that the dog slept in) kind of like what dorky parents tow young kids in behind pushbikes. Dog was as happy and healthy as any I'd ever seen.

Common sense, you know. I moved states for work. If you can't get a job in your local area then you may have to move.

How on earth did you afford the move

We make it seem so simple in telling people to get a job.

I put up a support worker role 2 days ago and to date we have 70 odd applications. Applying must become quite disheartening

I have to reapply for jobs every year thanks to one year contracts. It’s so time consuming :( . As frustrating as it is to have to reapply for my own job or a slightly more senior version of my current job each year let alone other opportunities , would be worse if I felt like there was a risk of not having a job at the end of that process :/ .

We make it seem so simple in telling people to get a job.

I put up a support worker role 2 days ago and to date we have 70 odd applications. Applying must become quite disheartening

I say again, I live in the region with the highest unemployment rate in the entire country.
But still, there ARE jobs available.
Tough, hard-working, dirty jobs? Sure.
But they pay way, way more than the dole.

Do the long term unemployed here apply for these?
Generally, no.
If they do, they make damn sure that you'd never employ them by their manner, dress and overall conduct.

Do they want the job?
Of course they f***ing don't.
They're happy on welfare.

In addition... a huge LOL to those who are bemoaning how poor they are and how mean we are to them.
Centrelink benefits don't just stop at the dole. Far from it.
Family tax benefit A+B.
Rent assistance.
All sorts of payments for kids.
All sorts of other Gov't add-on payments if you know how to work the system.
Subsidised this, subsidised that.

Let alone how they rort the NGO's who provide food vouchers etc.

So let's pay them more so they can laugh at us harder.

And just before our Green's friends launch into another snippy attack...I am NOT labelling everyone on unemployment benefits at all.
There is most definitely a need for people in genuine trouble to access these benefits. Definitely.
It is the rorters and the genuine bludgers who I am talking about.

I say again, I live in the region with the highest unemployment rate in the entire country.
Tough, hard-working, dirty jobs? Sure.
But they pay way, way more than the dole.

Do the long term unemployed here apply for these?
Generally, no.
If they do, they make damn sure that you'd never employ them by their manner, dress and overall conduct.

Do they want the job?
Of course they f***ing don't.
They're happy on welfare.

In addition... a huge LOL to those who are bemoaning how poor they are and how mean we are to them.
Centrelink benefits don't just stop at the dole. Far from it.
Family tax benefit A+B.
Rent assistance.
All sorts of payments for kids.
All sorts of other Gov't add-on payments if you know how to work the system.
Subsidised this, subsidised that.

Let alone how they rort the NGO's who provide food vouchers etc.

So let's pay them more so they can laugh at us harder.

And just before our Green's friends launch into another snippy attack...I am NOT labelling everyone on unemployment benefits at all.
There is most definitely a need for people in genuine trouble to access these benefits. Definitely.
It is the rorters and the genuine bludgers who I am talking about.

So what do you suggest

How many unemployed v how many jobs? Are they technical or labour intensive?

I'm not asking to put you on the spot nor do I wish to engage in a slanging match. Its just I hear this '' there are plenty of jobs out there '' line and while there may well be jobs the number of people able to do them capably may be different

So what do you suggest

*in a rural aspect*...and they move here because if you live, (I believe), more than 65km's from a Centrelink office the stricter provisions for receiving the benefit are very greatly reduced.

They take the job, or they lose the benefit.

I am not talking about city people because my knowledge is nil.

But these people move here for the above reason, plus very cheap rent, ($150-$200pw), and all the subsidies they receive.

How many unemployed v how many jobs? Are they technical or labour intensive?

I'm not asking to put you on the spot nor do I wish to engage in a slanging match. Its just I hear this '' there are plenty of jobs out there '' line and while there may well be jobs the number of people able to do them capably may be different

These people aren't incapable, disabled or in any other way incapacitated.
They simply don't want to work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Due to modern technology the situation is only going to get worse.

The problem for the future isn’t wage growth, the problem is going to be work opportunities for diverse group of skilled individuals.

The reduction in the cash economy would also be impacting on individuals too. With so many transactions done electronically most wages would now be on the books.

Thats not what I asked

How many jobs v how many unemployed?

It's part of what you asked and I'm sorry for not answering completely.
It's a pretty difficult question to answer with any statistical clarity from my office.
But there is a very good reason why we have to import overseas workers for semi-skilled jobs and rely on backpackers to do seasonal work.
Meanwhile, these people sit on their arse.

Yeah because that won’t create a black market for Tobacco.

Worked really for drugs so far.

Even better for prohibition in the USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was being facetious

*in a rural aspect*...and they move here because if you live, (I believe), more than 65km's from a Centrelink office the stricter provisions for receiving the benefit are very greatly reduced.

They take the job, or they lose the benefit.

I am not talking about city people because my knowledge is nil.

But these people move here for the above reason, plus very cheap rent, ($150-$200pw), and all the subsidies they receive.

These people aren't incapable, disabled or in any other way incapacitated.
They simply don't want to work.

What happens to the kids then

People also move to the country because it’s cheaper and hence levels of unemployment increase because there’s just not enough work to go around. Reality is there’s always going to be a pocket of people that are generational permanently unemployed

Last edited:
Same logic behind tax cuts, the extra money will stimulate the economy. Most if not all of the $75 will go straight back into the economy creating more jobs and growth.

Craven will be scratching his head, struggling to figure out why the little shops in town are doing worse than they already were if his "tough love" idea happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back