2019 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

When I first heard of the upcoming Cranberries it immediately came across as an icky posthumous sort of thing.

I was clearly wrong, they really did it justice.

Last week or so:
- Gizz album was kinda meh.
- FONTAINES DC album was pretty cool.

2019 Faves So Far:
Sharon Van Etten
Mdou Moctar
Julia Jacklin
Fennesz
James Holden
FONTAINES DC

Special mention to the mini-version of Kankyō Ongaku: Japanese Ambient, Environmental & New Age Music 1980-1990 available to stream.

Heard this earlier of the Js, so keen for new music and a tour.

Reminds me of early New Order, sort of. likey!!! New album pls.
Reminded me of this. when New Order were playing early Temptation!
I wish more bands would do that. Tour early versions of songs and grow them until they record the material etc. There's a real looseness about it and dropping of ego, just letting the music do it's own thing.

This is the best Australian single since Konichiwa (Donny Benet) for my money. Been obsessed with it in recent weeks. The video is an all-timer as well, so rich in throwback aesthetic detailing, beautifully edited and storyboarded.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Between the really good returns of Dido & Carly Rae Jepsen, my pop appetite is already sated for 2019.

Loving this new one from Alpine, along with Unconditional and Fishing for Fishies a hot little period for great Australian singles:

My favs:
Seagull - A Voice in the Ward (Melbourne alt-folk.)
Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising (baroque pop)
Waste of Space Orchestra - Syntheosis (atmospheric sludge metal)
The Comet is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Myster (London jazz/electronic fusion)
Billy Woods & Kenny Segel - Hiding Places (hip-hop)
Aldous Harding - Designer (folk)
Show Me The Body - Dog Whistle (noise rock)
Kankyō Ongaku (Japanese ambient compilation)
Wilma Vritra - Burd (experimental hip-hop)
U-Bahn - S/T (Geelong synth-punk)
Mdou Moctar - Ilana (The Creator) (rock)
Ill Considered 5 and 6 (London jazz)
Quelle Chris - Guns (hip-hop)
Uranium Club - The Cosmo Cleaners (weird alt-rock)
Malibu Ken - S/T (experimental hip-hop)
Houssam Gania - Mosawi Swiri (Gnawa music)

Tried to keep it concise, but it's been a really enjoyable year so far. Enjoying new Tyler The Creator, Injury Reserve (experimental hip-hop), slowthai (grime), and Dury Dava (Greek psych-rock) too. Only had a chance to have a few listens though.
Last week or so:
- Gizz album was kinda meh.
- FONTAINES DC album was pretty cool.

2019 Faves So Far:
Sharon Van Etten
Mdou Moctar
Julia Jacklin
Fennesz
James Holden
FONTAINES DC

Special mention to the mini-version of Kankyō Ongaku: Japanese Ambient, Environmental & New Age Music 1980-1990 available to stream.
+1 Mdou Moctar in particular. Such infectious grooves. Enjoyed a few of the others you listed too. I've given a few people on here a link to the full version of Kankyō Ongaku if you want it.

Last edited:
Anyone else obsessed with the new CRJ? AOTY-worthy. Julien & Everything He Needs are probably my faves, but there isn't a weak track to be found! Ridiculous that we got poppy instant classics like this, Honey and Dirty Computer in less than 13 months.

No 2019 thread yet?

Some pretty huge albums so far this year, but the most surprisingly brilliant album so far this year is without a doubt by a man that everyone will have heard of, yet may have previously dismissed. A guy who looked as though he may have been lost as a pop producer. However, he has managed to come out and drop this huge album out of nowhere.

Does anyone actually play an instrument on this?

My top 10 album/EP so far:
1. Dedicated | Carly Rae Jepsen
2. AE_Live_Portsmouth | Autechre
3. AE_Live_Denver | Autechre
4. Fishing for Fishies | King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard
5. Still on my Mind | Dido
6. We Dance Alone | Yaporigami
7. AE_Live_New York | Autechre
8. Let's Ride EP | Roza Terenzi
9. Circling Architecture EP | Rings Around Saturn
10. In the End | The Cranberries
HM: Smash Gate (Caramel Chameleon); WaveTable EP (Rings Around Saturn); Worldwide EP (Roza Terenzi); AE_Live_Seattle (Autechre); Flamagra (Flying Lotus)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back