Fremantle Dockers 2018/19 season watch

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
Need this victory vs Essendon to have a shot to sneak in finals.

Essendon will go in favourites as its in Marvel/Docklands. Yet I wont be shocked if freo win. No Disrespect to Essendon, but GWS away is a tougher away game than Essendon away on current form.

Still think freo will either make finals or miss out.

Lose this game and Freo are 4 and 5. That means 9 wins out of 13 to sneak in.
Pretty out there prediction Nostradamus ;)

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
im sure you would want 8 wins and 14th spot for the 3rd season in a row then?
All good - I was just referring to your bold prediction that we will either make finals or we will miss out. Is there another alternative?

I suspect you meant to say make finals or just miss out...

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
All good - I was just referring to your bold prediction that we will either make finals or we will miss out. Is there another alternative?

Yes i did.

I can see freo some how getting 12 wins. that would be just enough to get a finals spot or just miss out.

getting 10 or 11 wins would be a disappointment but its an improvement of last season.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

4/8 and we did not get slaughtered in our losses. Combined with fact that most teams look beatable it is surely possible. But my current feeling is we will just miss out.
just thinking about it now..... once the essendon and Brisbane games are done, we will have a good assessment on were we are at.

Comparing the last few years....

2015: 9 wins and one defeat. It wasnt a bad 1st half of the season. slowly started to rot in the 2nd half then lost to the hawks in the prelim.

2016: 0 wins and 10 defeats. Still bitter about that 2016 season. Way better than the 4-18 record we did. should of got 6-8 wins that season. 73 points for, 96 against. basically, freo had a lot of 15-35 point defeats.

2017: 6 wins and 4 defeats. I wasnt even angry about losing to the crows by 100 points, 143-43 in round 10 that year. I didn't care. My biggest positive thoughts that night was we kicked more than 1.7.13 and we got more wins in 10 rounds than what we got in 2016. People said when we got those 8 wins, the close wins inflated our wins. Personally I didn't give a stuff. yeah the Bulldogs and North and Demons wins were close. but we also had narrow defeats to giants, geelong and Saints. One of my favorite artists is Gloria estefan. Favourite song? Cuts both ways. Scoring 72 points a game, conceding 98. so we were getting pumped by 60-100 points away one week then winning by 15-25 points at some the next. It was better than being 0-10.

2018: 4 wins and 6 defeats. It scarily was like our 2002 season, win at home, get belted away. All 4 wins were expected in that 1st half: Bombers, Suns "Away", dogs and saints. 70 points for, 92 against.... so freo conceded a goal less a game despite another 8 win season.

Sandilands out has been a huge loss. Even though he’s well past his best his dominance in the midfield makes Fremantle a much better side overall.

Stephen Hill is also a big loss too. If they can get these two players back in the second half of the season Fremantle will make the top eight.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sandilands out has been a huge loss. Even though he’s well past his best his dominance in the midfield makes Fremantle a much better side overall.

Stephen Hill is also a big loss too. If they can get these two players back in the second half of the season Fremantle will make the top eight.
Sandilands aint coming back until after the bye. By then it might be too late for freo.

Gutted that Sean Darcy is injured. At 20/21 years old, is our eventual Sandilands replacement..

Stephen Hill has been serviceable. But in the last 18 months has been injury prone.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Congrats Maniac. I was hoping you guys would win. The Lions are a great side and will snare a prem in the not too distant future.

Great win by your boys and fantastic to see Walters get the winning shot after the siren to finish off indigenous round.

Magnificent.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Congrats Maniac. I was hoping you guys would win. The Lions are a great side and will snare a prem in the not too distant future.

Great win by your boys and fantastic to see Walters get the winning shot after the siren to finish off indigenous round.

Magnificent.
This is going to to be a shock, I didnt watch one minute of this game. I feel asleep lol.

Glad freo won. But bloody hell, I personally wouldnt be bragging about it.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Could have lost to Saints and Brisbane and been 3-7.

We've had 4 close ones and won 2. 5-5 is accurate.
Agreed. If Cameron doesn't hit the post at the start of the last, I reckon it was curtains.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Ok guys my 2 cents from the last two weeks ( a cent a game? joking! )

I thought the performance against St.Kilda was very good. Especially with Hill being on the bench for a while and then of course the absence in Fyfe through concussion. I believed the Dockers were going to get ran over after being a coupe rotations down, big balls to get up losing your inspirational leader and one of the games best ( if not the best ) Saints did a similar thing to Richmond last year allowing them off the hook being up a couple, also leading by 3 or 4 goals. But this year at least in the early going the Saints are proving to be a handful and a bit of a surprise packet. They did claw back the Hawks yesterday from a deficit mind you and thoroughly deserved their victory. It's still early days obviously for all because the likes of Gold Coast, Freo and the Saints have all played each other and haven't met the stronger sides going off last year, of course until yesterday in Hawthorn. Nonetheless wins are valuable and form is dicey both good and bad for all teams in the comp at this stage. Freo's early form once again is very 2017 and 2018 like and they did have a narrow 8 point loss to WCE in the first meeting in 2018 playing as the home team ( were the away side this time of course )

But we can only go off the present time and I thought Freo were by far the better team on Saturday night and if not for poor kicking should have won. To delve into that further of course things change within the game, maybe the Eagle could have gone up another gear if need be and they were playing within themselves a bit due to the absence of Fyfe. Perhaps a bit of complacency getting caught up in their own hype after beating the Maggies, drinking their own bath water maybe? Even all of that combined. Credit where credit is due though.

Aside from **** kicking for goal and execution they played a good game and the last couple of weeks have been good. GWS is a massive test and I hope Freo can do well, and part of me believes they can.

So for the next month ahead

GWS away
Dogs at home
Crows away
Tigers at home

If they can go 2-2 that's good enough my opinion and they get a pass mark. I believe Freo will go 2-2 and more than likely win both their home games but an away win although unlikely could very well happen. The Doggies played well on Friday night after failing the week before to the Suns. All these games look hard on paper but Freo can do something here and if we're being honest 1-3 isn't good enough as that will put them 3-5 after 8 rounds. 4-4 and a 50 percent record gets the tick. Bombers, Lions and the Pies lie waiting after that. If we're looking further down the track then if they someway somehow get to 5-6 at the half way point of the season although that's not ideal, it would still be acceptable as it gives them a launching pad for the 2nd half of the season.

2-2 for now and Freo are getting the job done at this early stage of 2019.
Where we sat then and my assessment and where we sit now is spot on and acceptable imo.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Interesting recruitment from Freo and I must say I'm excited to see what 2019 delivers. Now is the time for the Dockers to take the next step. There's no excuses for Ross now. He can't afford another 8-14 season

I will say Neale is a big loss and hurts their midfield a lot, no one that's came in can fill his presence. If Lobb and Hogan fulfil their potential then the Dockers can achieve good things. Must stay healthy obviously which has proven to be an issue for them.

10 wins absolute minimum in 2019 is a pass mark. If Lyon get's that then he will get another crack at the gig for 2020. But holy **** he's cutting a fine line.
You Look back at that infamous freo vs cats game in geelong last year....

Despite not being near full strength, freo tanked that game. We also tanked vs the magpies at home too.

Finshed below the dogs to get pick 5..... I knew freo would trade pick 5 and 41, Our 1st and 3rd rounder for someones 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder such as picks 10, 28 and 46. That was inevitable because we only had picks 5,77,95 and 113. A 1st, 5th, 6th and 7th rounder.

Traded our 2018 2nd rounder for Nathan wilson.

Traded our 2018 3rd rounder for Brandon Matera. Personally, I would of rather waited another year to get him and got him as a free agent. Suns would of been given a mid 2nd rounder anyway since we gave matera a 3 year deal.

Freo traded our 2018 4th rounder and Crozier to the dogs for picks 40 and 82.

I didnt mind trading our 2nd rounder and 4th rounder last year. Would of been interesting had we kept our 3rd rounder.

Had freo finish 16th in 2018 it would of get us picks 3 and 39 (had we kept the 3rd rounder.)

Traded pick 5 and 2019 3rd rounder to Port and got picks 11, 23, 29 and 47.

Traded picks 11 and 23 to gws, got pick 14 and Rory Lobb

Regardless where freo finish in 2019, we have no 2019 3rd or 4th rounder.
Bit stupid to bring up the thread. a gallant loss to the magpies at home.

Not that I am fussed. 8 wins, 14 defeats and 14th spot.

Played 15 new guys in 2 years. 7 in 2017, 8 in 2018.

now for the trade and draft period(s) to arrive and see what freo would do. Might trade one of either a 2019 2nd rounder or 2019 3rd rounder. Freo at a minimum will Elevate 2-3 rookies in to the seniors and get 2-3 teenagers in the draft.
I knew we would trade our 2019 3rd rounder!

Back