GMHBA Stadium (Kardinia Park, Geelong)

Remove this Banner Ad

members section

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pretty sure its all a done deal just certain stakeholders choosing when they decide to announce it purely pending on self motives.

I was at a charity gig a couple of months ago, Frank Costa was a guest speaker & said CA asked to push it back till after the t20 world cup so there wasn't a bit hole at one end.

It would be nice to have a hill just behind the goals at the GA terrace end but with CA funding I think they will be heavy pushing for their original plan of cricket excellence centre at that end.

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
Pretty sure its all a done deal just certain stakeholders choosing when they decide to announce it purely pending on self motives.

I was at a charity gig a couple of months ago, Frank Costa was a guest speaker & said CA asked to push it back till after the t20 world cup so there wasn't a bit hole at one end.

It would be nice to have a hill just behind the goals at the GA terrace end but with CA funding I think they will be heavy pushing for their original plan of cricket excellence centre at that end.

This is pretty much bang on, the cricket club will get modern facilities, it will bump the capacity to 40k, and for cricket it will give them proper media facilities.

I agree we will lose that last rough 90s feel of GA terrace but it's prob for the best. I can never see or move when I'm up there which hasn't made for a great experience personally.
I don't mind not being able to move as long as I can get my cup of beer to my mouth without spilling it which is rare.

members section

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I agree we will lose that last rough 90s feel of GA terrace but it's prob for the best. I can never see or move when I'm up there which hasn't made for a great experience personally.
I don't mind not being able to move as long as I can get my cup of beer to my mouth without spilling it which is rare.

got to get on those red wines up in the GA terrace they come with a lid!

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
The latest election commitment from Labor just merely consolidates and will fast track to a small extent what the State Government had started planning for at last years State Budget. Therefore Geelong might anticipate a further $50 million instead of $70 million to build the stand in the fothcoming Budget later this month.

Either way, it'll get built. :)

Hope so. Was just mentioned on TalkingFooty that Geelong and Hawthorn won't get the funding Labor had promised.
I'd rather us find the additional money we will need elsewhere (no idea where) than redesign or 'skimp' on things to fit it within budget. We've got to get to 40,000 capacity. It should be 42,000 odd so that we can get over 40,000 instead of 39,852 as an example

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
I know that in Balllarat the local historic 140 year old Her Majesty's Theatre missed $5 million to complete its restoration, and a major $14 million upgrade of the airport will go on the back burner for a while too ;)

Never mind, money will be raised eventually for these things, sometimes we just have to wait. On a bright side for Geelong, if the Coalition hold true to their promises then the Melbourne rail line will be upgraded significantly and the old Ford plant will be converted into a Samsung Defence Industries plant to build armaments and equipment as a back up plant to Samsung's main facility in Korea. The Koreans are keen to establish defence manufacturing capability outside South Korea for obvious reasons and the Australian Government had been looking to boost the Australian Army's artillery capability with new generation self-propelled guns by 2023 and eventually long range surface to surface missiles by 2030. Geelong will be central to building and sustaining that capability.

digrar

Draftee
Nov 9, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
It would be nice if they put a few more lights up at GMHBA. I was flicking between the Wallabies over at Optus and the Cats game last week and the difference in lighting was like chalk and cheese.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
It would be nice if they put a few more lights up at GMHBA. I was flicking between the Wallabies over at Optus and the Cats game last week and the difference in lighting was like chalk and cheese.
The lighting at Geelong is adequate for international cricket, as is Optus. After that it's just how bright really.

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
Interesting how in the plan there's a media suite on level 4, I think we all know what that means for Cricket at the ground. I'm going to miss the Terrace though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Interesting how in the plan there's a media suite on level 4, I think we all know what that means for Cricket at the ground. I'm going to miss the Terrace though
It's expensive for a few extra seats (capacity goes from nominal 36,000 (in reality only 33,000) to 40,000), however there's a lot of spend for permanent AFLW change rooms as well as full cricket facilities.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
It's expensive for a few extra seats (capacity goes from nominal 36,000 (in reality only 33,000) to 40,000), however there's a lot of spend for permanent AFLW change rooms as well as full cricket facilities.
They generally do the calculations of a cost per seat vs the return on sales for that seat over 30 years. On that basis, GMHBA Stadium will pay for itself over the next 20 years in addition to its conference and corporate facilities which will yield extra income to cover day to day costs.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
It's a common complaint made about Geelong supporters at GMHBA Stadium though
I thought it was common for the nannas to be knitting down at Geelong? Where I sit it's nothing but families and old folk. Maybe if you sit in the terrace with the general public it's a bit more rough.

I thought it was common for the nannas to be knitting down at Geelong? Where I sit it's nothing but families and old folk. Maybe if you sit in the terrace with the general public it's a bit more rough.
Agreed. Gentlest crowd in the country.

Gordon Farkas

Team Captain
Mar 8, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong

It can get a bit rough down there. I was once told to keep it down by a couple of the grannies, still scarred from the experience. Enter at your own risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back