10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
JJ bemused by "trade talk" speculation.

Anyone else getting the vibe JJ's just a tad worried there might actually be some substance to the speculation?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-15/a-fair-stretch-outoffavour-crow-bemused-by-trade-talk

'A fair stretch': Out-of-favour Crow bemused by trade talk

ADELAIDE'S out-of-favour forward Josh Jenkins is bemused by speculation he's on the AFL trade table.

Jenkins was dropped by Adelaide four matches ago and the Crows have won every game since.

The 30-year-old says anything is possible but believes it's a "fair stretch" to assume he's trade bait.

The first he heard about the trade talk was when his brother contacted him after seeing a social media post linking the key forward to Hawthorn and other Victorian-based clubs.

"I guess there's a possibility,'' Jenkins told SEN radio on Wednesday.

"It's a fair reach.

"Funnily I had my brother reach out to me ... asking if I was being traded because he saw something was on Facebook.

"I was in this situation, only for one week admittedly in 2017 and got to play a Grand Final (that year).

"Things can change quickly but it would be a fair stretch to make that assumption at the moment."

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
For me, it all comes back to the fact that you can't trade a contracted player if they don't want to go. Yes, you can tell them they won't get games if they stay, but they can't do anything if the player calls their bluff and tells the club, "Too bad, I'm sticking around anyway."

For me, it all comes back to the fact that you can't trade a contracted player if they don't want to go. Yes, you can tell them they won't get games if they stay, but they can't do anything if the player calls their bluff and tells the club, "Too bad, I'm sticking around anyway."

If you tell a player they are done at AFL level and they don't care, you should pay out their contract immediately and sack them.

Players without desire to play at the highest level have no place at the club

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you tell a player they are done at AFL level and they don't care, you should pay out their contract immediately and sack them.

Players without desire to play at the highest level have no place at the club

He's not going to say, "I'm done." He'll say, "I think I can win back my spot in the best 22 and I'm happy to stick around and prove that."

Should have kept Dear, no reason he couldn’t have given a contest at the highest level. The game that I saw at Strathalbyn Dear outperformed JJ comfortabley but never got the opportunity.

The other side of that argument is with Himmelberg being the prospect he is, it made Dear a list clogger. That said, I do reckon we thought Jenkins would be alright for longer, but that's sport for you.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone playing in the SANFL is a risk of being traded, so no it’s not a stretch.

I believe JJ still has a role for us if EH fizzles out during the season. This season is not a guarantee whether we still need JJ or we won’t be missing him. It really boils down to how much form JJ can find versus how much EH can gain more in form for 2019.

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Blight and Wildy said JJ for a 2nd rounder.

1557919295372.png

conVINCEd

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Article says Jenkins is contracted til the end of the 2022 season, but isn't it the 2021 season? (he signed a five year deal in 2016 which would cover 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021).

There's a bloody long way to go in this season yet, I'm sure he'll play for us again in 2019 at some point.

Back