Board vetoes nominee

Remove this Banner Ad

Shunned North Melbourne member James Wangmann calls out ‘gutless’ Kangaroos board
Michael Warner, Herald Sun
an hour ago
Subscriber only

A North Melbourne member whose bid to run for the club’s board was rejected without reason says “democracy at the Kangaroos has been shinboned”.

Businessman James Wangmann says his attempt to contest for a board seat was blocked in February by a newly-established “independent nominations committee”.
Wangmann told the Herald Sun he received “no written reasons as to my rejection and no evidence that this committee even convened”.

“For a clique who see themselves as our saviours, to run scared from an election is just gutless,” Wangmann said.
“They clearly don’t think the members can be trusted to have a say in the management of the club.
“If (president) Ben Buckley wants to run the club like it’s his personal property, he should get out his chequebook and make the members an offer.”
Wangmann said he was interviewed by nominations committee chairman Peter Nash on February 11 before being informed of his rejection two days later.

Former North Melbourne director Peter de Rauch warned members in March 2017 that the formation of a nominations committee to rule on the suitability of all future club directors would lead to a “dictatorship”.
Wangmann, owner of election services company Argent, said he had written to Buckley to express his concerns about the nomination process.
“I am a lifelong fan of the club, a small business owner and someone who has served as director of an organisation with an annual turnover of $474 million,” he said.
“If I am considered unworthy to even run for election to this board, then who exactly would they allow to run?
e20c83f94ed2767170cb2dab6bdf3d19

c6cad290b8cc4dabee075bdc93116df6

“What is clear is that the creation of this committee has given the incumbent board an unfettered power to ward off any and all challengers.
“Democracy is now dead at North Melbourne. The fans do not get a say in who runs the club.
“The fans pay their membership so that a select few can run the club as if it’s private property.”
Wangmann said a notice for nominations was posted for less than 24 hours on the North Melbourne website in January this year.
“The decision to not notify members by email is puzzling, as is the decision to not make any mention of this notice through the club’s social media channels,” he said.
“I had assumed the primary purpose of this committee was to weed out bankrupts, people with criminal records and other people who neither understood nor take seriously the role of director.
908690c7e61d150452af2ca8a899ae97

“I am concerned that this precedent will effectively bar a great number of our members from involving themselves in the administration of the club that we, as members, collectively own.
“I am certain that this was not the intention when establishing this committee, as such a precedent would no doubt cause great shock and distress to the membership.”
A North Melbourne spokesperson said the nominations committee was approved by the members and “in line with modern corporate standards”.
“This is common practice and shows sound corporate governance. The committee, which several other clubs have also adopted, is designed to enhance the quality of the club’s board and to ensure it is appropriately balanced with the right range of skills, experience, diversity and business acumen.
“Through this process, members with the right skill-sets that can help the club grow and succeed will be endorsed.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...d/news-story/6781ef85eb8db8c95be881b0684acca9

Don't know this bloke but does this seem ok? When the board decides who can run for the board..............

No it's not OK. It's horseshit, like the clubs stance on more Tasmanian games....

Without vetting the guys credentials and whether they are BS or not, if true, he's more qualified than most of the current board to serve.

We are member run club, with democratic elections.

De Raunch was right.

One-sided journalism. Such is the rubbish standard today.

I'm not saying NM did nothing wrong. But in something publicly published for profit and attention you'd hope they provided all relevant perspectives. Even a perfunctory "We tried to contact..."

I'm not saying NM did nothing wrong. But in something publicly published for profit and attention you'd hope they provided all relevant perspectives. Even a perfunctory "We tried to contact..."

You mean this part?

A North Melbourne spokesperson said the nominations committee was approved by the members and “in line with modern corporate standards”.
“This is common practice and shows sound corporate governance. The committee, which several other clubs have also adopted, is designed to enhance the quality of the club’s board and to ensure it is appropriately balanced with the right range of skills, experience, diversity and business acumen.
“Through this process, members with the right skill-sets that can help the club grow and succeed will be endorsed.”

The last paragraph provides that - and we got the standard response ....corporate governance standards blah blah blah.

There needs to be a spill of all senior executive positions within the club at year end and the Board needs to be replaced 2 members annually for the next 3 years with all appropriately qualified people allowed to stand.

What has been happening at the club over the past 12-18 months is a shambles - it stinks and the stench starts right at the top with the NMFC Board.

If they won't even let others contest their dictatorship, then my only choice is to cut my contribution to their funding. Will see how the rest of this year plays out. I will cop a lot of flak, but at some point you need to draw a line.

I can handle crap performances from our boys. I can handle a coach that I am convinced is not best placed to lead us to success.

I draw the line at financially contributing to an undemocratic organisation controlled by a small group of people using our loyalty to the idea of North Melbourne and our good will as a crutch to gain a stranglehold over our club, destroying it in the process.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shunned North Melbourne member James Wangmann calls out ‘gutless’ Kangaroos board
Michael Warner, Herald Sun
an hour ago
Subscriber only

A North Melbourne member whose bid to run for the club’s board was rejected without reason says “democracy at the Kangaroos has been shinboned”.

Businessman James Wangmann says his attempt to contest for a board seat was blocked in February by a newly-established “independent nominations committee”.
Wangmann told the Herald Sun he received “no written reasons as to my rejection and no evidence that this committee even convened”.

“For a clique who see themselves as our saviours, to run scared from an election is just gutless,” Wangmann said.
“They clearly don’t think the members can be trusted to have a say in the management of the club.
“If (president) Ben Buckley wants to run the club like it’s his personal property, he should get out his chequebook and make the members an offer.”
Wangmann said he was interviewed by nominations committee chairman Peter Nash on February 11 before being informed of his rejection two days later.

Former North Melbourne director Peter de Rauch warned members in March 2017 that the formation of a nominations committee to rule on the suitability of all future club directors would lead to a “dictatorship”.
Wangmann, owner of election services company Argent, said he had written to Buckley to express his concerns about the nomination process.
“I am a lifelong fan of the club, a small business owner and someone who has served as director of an organisation with an annual turnover of $474 million,” he said.
“If I am considered unworthy to even run for election to this board, then who exactly would they allow to run?
e20c83f94ed2767170cb2dab6bdf3d19

c6cad290b8cc4dabee075bdc93116df6

“What is clear is that the creation of this committee has given the incumbent board an unfettered power to ward off any and all challengers.
“Democracy is now dead at North Melbourne. The fans do not get a say in who runs the club.
“The fans pay their membership so that a select few can run the club as if it’s private property.”
Wangmann said a notice for nominations was posted for less than 24 hours on the North Melbourne website in January this year.
“The decision to not notify members by email is puzzling, as is the decision to not make any mention of this notice through the club’s social media channels,” he said.
“I had assumed the primary purpose of this committee was to weed out bankrupts, people with criminal records and other people who neither understood nor take seriously the role of director.
908690c7e61d150452af2ca8a899ae97

“I am concerned that this precedent will effectively bar a great number of our members from involving themselves in the administration of the club that we, as members, collectively own.
“I am certain that this was not the intention when establishing this committee, as such a precedent would no doubt cause great shock and distress to the membership.”
Nominations Committee approved by the members well I'm a member and I wasn't noticefired as a member about this as I believe any man or women should be able to run for any board.
So which members did vote for this was it the following members the Buckley Dilena Scanlon McDonald Crocker Joyce Scott families?
Boys Club working well I see business as useal down at North

West Coast have apparently run like this for decades, and it is seen as the gold standard for ensuring club stability.
But surely there is still a way for a board that's doing a shithouse job to be shaken up by the members?

You mean this part?

When the * did this happen?! The board can effectively freeze out the members? This is ****ing outrageous!

I told you all that there were other agendas going on down there!!!!

This is a car crash waiting to happen!

First vetoes?

What’s next additional games down in Tassie? Partial re-location?

This is some underhanded bullshit. I’ve been a member for a long time now and have never been notified about a nominations committee. What other sort of under the table things are happening behind our back?

This just reeks of “shut up and buy a membership” because “we” know what’s best for you.

It’s not ok at all. Who the **** do they think they are? They don’t own the club. I like stability but I like the idea of a board with passionate North people more. Feels like the clubs been taken off us a bit lately.

When Scanlon's kid was re-elected "unopposed" it was due to them vetoing candidates running against him!!!

The mechanism to end this club is now in place.

This has a really horrible smell about it Make no mistake we should be very concerned about this . Like some of you I’ve been a member for many years & have paid a lot of money to the club for my membership as well as donations , merchandise and so on & I have heard nothing about this nominations committee .

Last edited:
There are issues with the nominations committee.

But we would have seriously been wasting our limited resources to hold an election just because this guy wanted a seat on our board.

Was he entitled to run for election when a board position became vacant?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back