Victoria vs Western Australia State of Origin 2019 - Teams and Hypothetical Game - Pick your Squads and the outcome

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
He spent most of his life in Northhampton/Geraldton and it's where he played all his footy, from the schoolyard to juniors.

Yep realize that, that does not make him a West Australian. Macpotata needs to stipulate his hypothetical criteria as whether or not JK qualifies as a wa or vic player. Not having a go but if there is no criteria then which player plays for which state is then open to interpretation............................. just like the way the rules and penalties are umpired at the minute.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep realize that, that does not make him a West Australian. Macpotata needs to stipulate his hypothetical criteria as whether or not JK qualifies as a wa or vic player. Not having a go but if there is no criteria then which player plays for which state is then open to interpretation............................. just like the way the rules and penalties are umpired at the minute.
It does going by previous SOA.

Gaben

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
D6lo50wUEAEE08E.jpg

D6lo7_pU8AAZIVm.jpg
Vlastuin over Crisp? Yeah, nah. And if we are playing players out of position just to squeeze them into the team, chuck Mundy on the forward flank before Martin - in fact just about 8 other blokes names in a hat and raffle them for that forward flank spot, they'd all be more deserving.

Last edited:

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
David Swallow - Harry Taylor - Neville Jetta
Elliot Yeo - Jeremy McGovern - Ben Stratton
Brad Hill - Stephen Coniglio - Jordan Clark
Tim Kelly - Aaron Naughton - 'Sonny' Walters
Josh Kennedy - 'Buddy' Franklin - Brandon Matera

R: Paddy Ryder - Nat Fyfe - Patrick Cripps
IC: Joel Hamling - Rory Lobb - Jaeger O'Meara - Mitchell McGovern

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Vlastuin over Crisp? Yeah, nah. And if we are playing players out of position just to squeeze them into the team, chuck Mundy on the forward flank before Martin - in fact just about 8 other blokes names in a hat and raffle them for that forward flank spot, they'd all be more deserving.
Martin is badly out of form, no chance he makes the side if picked right now.

Vlastuin would be a beauty for SoO.
Tough as nails, courageous, plays tall or small, great intercept. Not the flashiest but could easily slot in and perform reliably at that level. Has stood up numerous times and lead the defence when we've been undermanned.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
WA was always good for outside run on big grounds - but lacking in the key posts.

However (injuries aside) have the 4 best key position players and the two best inside mids.

Quite remarkable really.

WA wouldn't have the depth of talent to have a 2nd 18 match it with Victoria's 2nd 18 - but the first 18 would probably win.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Born in Vic.
yep, However SOO has always been for when you grew up as a teenager. Kind of like how Goodes was born in South Australia so he only qualifies for being victorian, same as Eddie betts being born in SA, Campbell Brown and Dale Morris being born in WA ect. ect., It's where you played football which counts

it's like saying Aliir Aliir/Jason Johannison wouldnt qualify for the WA team because they both were born in Africa.

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
Born in Vic.
I was born in the Netherlands but moved to Australia when I was 3, I'm aussie not Dutch.
Ben Cousins was born in geelong, but he's defs a West aussie.
GregInglis was born in NSW, but identifies as a queenslander.
Your birth place doesn't automatically mean that place shaped or made who you are.
I bet if you asked JJK he'd say he is a West aussie.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
yep, However SOO has always been for when you grew up as a teenager. Kind of like how Goodes was born in South Australia so he only qualifies for being victorian, same as Eddie betts being born in SA, Campbell Brown and Dale Morris being born in WA ect. ect., It's where you played football which counts

it's like saying Aliir Aliir/Jason Johannison wouldnt qualify for the WA team because they both were born in Africa.

Yeah I get all that I know of all those examples, however this is not soo rules. There's been no criteria set for what qualifies a player for which state so it's open to interpretation.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I was born in the Netherlands but moved to Australia when I was 3, I'm aussie not Dutch.
Ben Cousins was born in geelong, but he's defs a West aussie.
GregInglis was born in NSW, but identifies as a queenslander.
Your birth place doesn't automatically mean that place shaped or made who you are.
I bet if you asked JJK he'd say he is a West aussie.

Again, Like I've replied more than once - there are no rules or guidelines from the OP to qualify who would play for which state so it's open to interpretation.

"Your birth place doesn't automatically mean that place shaped or made who you are." Never said or implied anything of the sort.
"I bet if you asked JJK he'd say he is a West aussie." Oh no doubt, doesn't change the fact he was born in vic. So according to the guidelines from the OP (there is none) who does he play for?

BIGBOYmcevoy

Rookie
Sep 21, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Everton, New York Knicks
David Swallow - Harry Taylor - Neville Jetta
Elliot Yeo - Jeremy McGovern - Ben Stratton
Brad Hill - Stephen Coniglio - Jordan Clark
Tim Kelly - Aaron Naughton - 'Sonny' Walters
Josh Kennedy - 'Buddy' Franklin - Brandon Matera

R: Paddy Ryder - Nat Fyfe - Patrick Cripps
IC: Joel Hamling - Rory Lobb - Jaeger O'Meara - Mitchell McGovern

Harry Taylor over
So you overlook Rance being out but not Nata, Rich has had a far better season and career than Matera.

Rich definitely stiff but I thought Jetta added more to the team. Caleb Daniel and Rich are similar players and I didn't want two undersized players in the same backline, especially with Hurn playing tall. Also, Matera is a forward so it wouldn't make sense to swap him for Rich.

As for Rance, I included him because he has played this year whereas Nic Nat hasn't. Also, it's my team so I can choose who I want?

Spuddigger

Senior List
Oct 19, 2018
Australind WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur.
I used to love the big clashes during the 1990's whether it be the Big V up against W.A or their other arch rival South Australia. It's a shame we don't see it anymore but very understandable given the intense schedule as well as risk for injury in a pretty '' meaningless '' game. Nonetheless when they went at it hammer and tong it was a pretty special sight to see, whether it be moments like this

Or a young Brent Harvey collecting the E.J Whitten medal snagging 5 majors on that famous, memorable day where they fare welled the great man just mentioned

I assembled my hypothetical State of Origin Team for 2019 where the mighty Victorians go up against a star-studded Western Australian outfit boasting many big names and in form players like Tim Kelly of Geelong and Stephen Coniglio of the GWS Giants. There are several big name absentees as well as in-form players. You can't have them all however, but name who you wish in your assembled squad and have the outcome as you'd see it pan out. 5 are allowed on the Interchange too.

Full Back - Sicily Henry Stewart
Half Back - Blicavs Moore Houli
Midfield - Gaff Dangerfield Sidebottom
Half Forward - Ablett Hawkins De Goey
Full Forward - Gunston Cameron Bruest

Ruck - Grundy Pendlebury Shuey

Interchange - Crisp McEvoy Bontempelli Martin T lynch
Emergency - Oliver Gawn Boak Howe Heppell

Full Back - Pearce McGovern Ryan
Half Back - Johannisen Taylor Sheppard
Midfield - T Kelly Fyfe Coniglio
Half Forward - Walters Franklin Sheed
Full Forward Darling Kennedy Matera

Ruck - Ryder P Cripps Neale

Interchange - Yeo Jetta Wilson L Ryan Lobb
Emergency - B Hill Taberner Cole Hamling Redden

I can't leave out Flyin Ryan. Had him in, took him out but put him back in and Redden as an emergency.

Who would be in your side teams and give your outcome.

Spuddigger

Senior List
Oct 19, 2018
Australind WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur.
Harry Taylor over

Rich definitely stiff but I thought Jetta added more to the team. Caleb Daniel and Rich are similar players and I didn't want two undersized players in the same backline, especially with Hurn playing tall. Also, Matera is a forward so it wouldn't make sense to swap him for Rich.

As for Rance, I included him because he has played this year whereas Nic Nat hasn't. Also, it's my team so I can choose who I want?
Harry Taylor over

Harry Taylor over

What has Matera done to get in this side?

Back