Toast Nth Melbourne pubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Railway ?

The Railway aka "The Big House" has been shut for years.

The Sir Robert Peel is in Collingwood

- The Point on Dynon Rd (next to Tender Touch)
- The Falcons Nest (Jelly Wrestling)

- The Central Club, Royal Artillery, Royal Mail & The Spencer (technically West Melbourne)

That was the Railway, next one on the way to Arden St was Mulcahy's in Munster Terrace.

Mulcahy's closed due to fire 25-30 years ago.

1557919164506.png

Not Mulcahy's Snake, it was The Shakespeare

The "Shaky" later to become Oasis Oz.

Had the nickname "The hole in the wall" for a while when a truck driver hopped out of his truck without applying the hand brake and his truck rolled down the hill and plowed in to the bar.

IIRC, it was one of the first pubs to have Sunday opening. Certainly around North anyway.

Isn't the Town Hall now some kind of comedy venue ? or is that somewhere nearby in Errol St ?

North Melbourne Town Hall does host hotel comedy shows I think...but across the road from the actual town hall is the Town Hall Hotel. As far as I know still going strong - good food, footy on in the public bar, good beer garden, good music played. Haven't been for a while but used to live just around the corner.

The Railway aka "The Big House" has been shut for years.

The Sir Robert Peel is in Collingwood

- The Point on Dynon Rd (next to Tender Touch)
- The Falcons Nest (Jelly Wrestling)

- The Central Club, Royal Artillery, Royal Mail & The Spencer (technically West Melbourne)

Mulcahy's closed due to fire 25-30 years ago.

View attachment 674564
I’m pretty sure this one is apartments too now. The facade remains but is gutted.

Town Hall Hotel is a really good pub and definitely a North pub.
Three crowns not such a good pub - it's alright, just a bit generic - but have seen them fly North flags before.

Agree on both. Three Crowns is a nice-looking joint in a great spot but it lacks soul.

Town Hall is cool. I saw some really excellent gigs there back in the day. Popped in there quite recently for a drink. Still a cool place.

(Public Bar is getting a little out of area but I used to see a ton of bands there, too. Was a good pub in the days before it got hijacked by hipster backpacker types.)

Had some fun nights in the Court House over the years, too.

I used to live in Chapman Street, just behind the Marco Polo (aka the Dale Buggins Memorial Inn). Lovely old flat that - as a semi-interesting aside - my housemate and I had to vacate when a certain associate of Mark Read's (let's call him 'And Andy') started turning up unannounced on our doorstep a little too frequently, armed and off his face. (Housemate was in a rocky, long-term relationship with a close family member of his.) Anyways, the Albion was the handiest pub to our flat and I spent many an hour in there, but can't say I've ever been a huge fan of the place. Although to be fair, it used to be much seedier and dingier back then.

Last edited:
Ned Kelly 100% BFNAAK
Roamed around Benalla and Wang
Areas that were our zones
Stephen Hickey
John Byrne

Just to name a few

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Stephen Hickey. Now he was proper hard. Probably descended from bush rangers.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure cnr. Queensbury & Peel is a Robert Peel of some sort.

Come to think of it there was a pub up on Queensberry street there, up from the Leveson back in the day, but it opened and shut from time to time and was an "alternative lifestyle" place.

North Star was scary.

North Star had it's moments when the North crew made it their hangout, but aside from that it was pretty dead a lot of the time. It was inconveniently placed amongst the local competition. The last remnants of these blokes drop in to the Limerick from time to time, but most of them are dead. The Court House could also be eventful. I saw some blokes from a party out in the dining room take offence at the locals and make the big mistake of going, then returning with baseball bats to extract some revenge. They all had their bats taken off them and were carried out on stretchers. The Three Crowns was also a knockabout place. North was a different world back then. It would be interesting to see what the micro-brewing, barber shop dwelling, sleeve tattooed North hipster of today would make of it.

Come to think of it there was a pub up on Queensberry street there, up from the Leveson back in the day, but it opened and shut from time to time and was an "alternative lifestyle" place.

North Star had it's moments when the North crew made it their hangout, but aside from that it was pretty dead a lot of the time. It was inconveniently placed amongst the local competition. The last remnants of these blokes drop in to the Limerick from time to time, but most of them are dead. The Court House could also be eventful. I saw some blokes from a party out in the dining room take offence at the locals and make the big mistake of going, then returning with baseball bats to extract some revenge. They all had their bats taken off them and were carried out on stretchers. The Three Crowns was also a knockabout place. North was a different world back then. It would be interesting to see what the micro-brewing, barber shop dwelling, sleeve tattooed North hipster of today would make of it.

Royal Park was up from the Leveson, opposite St. Mary's then short walk down to the Peel.
Pulled down recently. Boys from St. Jo's might have drunk there !

Hardimans in Kensington Snake ?
My old man got the living suitcase belted out of him there one night.

Royal Park was up from the Leveson, opposite St. Mary's then short walk down to the Peel.
Pulled down recently. Boys from St. Jo's might have drunk there !

That's right, you nailed it mate.

The Royal Park was the "alternative" venue.

The years & the beers are starting to take their toll.

Tried it back in the day, took a while. Had to pace yourself.

I did the number 57 tram route pub crawl back in the day.

If memory serves me well.............

1) Waterside
2) Union
3) Racecourse
4) Pastoral (the last pub in Victoria with a linoleum floor)
5) Newmarket
6) Doutta
7) Palace
8) Melrose
9) Abbotsford? Homebush
10) British
11) North Star
12) Court House
13) Town Hall
14) Three Crowns
15) Victoria
16) Central Club (early openers)
17) Royal Artillery
18) The Stork

..............then there were was one or two others that I forget before you ended up at Hosies at the bottom of Elizabeth St & Flinders St.

It was about 20 pubs

Last edited:
Agree on both. Three Crowns is a nice-looking joint in a great spot but it lacks soul.

Town Hall is cool. I saw some really excellent gigs there back in the day. Popped in there quite recently for a drink. Still a cool place.

(Public Bar is getting a little out of area but I used to see a ton of bands there, too. Was a good pub in the days before it got hijacked by hipster backpacker types.)

Had some fun nights in the Court House over the years, too.

I used to live in Chapman Street, just behind the Marco Polo (aka the Dale Buggins Memorial Inn). Lovely old flat that - as a semi-interesting aside - my housemate and I had to vacate when a certain associate of Mark Read's (let's call him 'And Andy') started turning up unannounced on our doorstep a little too frequently, armed and off his face. (Housemate was in a rocky, long-term relationship with a close family member of his.) Anyways, the Albion was the handiest pub to our flat and I spent many an hour in there, but can't say I've ever been a huge fan of the place. Although to be fair, it used to be much seedier and dingier back then.

Geez Dale Buggins. Every time I hear the Marco Polo mentioned I think of him. Tragic. He was a star at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardimans in Kensington Snake ?
My old man got the living suitcase belted out of him there one night.

That's no good mate. Hardimans was knockabout, as was the Bayview down next to the old four & twenty pie factory. The Doutta Galla was also a willing place where all the meat workers from the slaughter yards used to drink after work.

The really gnarly place in the North/Flem/Ken area back in the day was the Centennial on Rankins Road. It was a Dockies hangout and even the cops rarely ventured in to the place. Graeme Jensen would get in there, as would Chopper Read, and they were far from the most dangerous blokes in the place. I saw some things in there that made a young bloke grow up quick.

Geez Dale Buggins. Every time I hear the Marco Polo mentioned I think of him. Tragic. He was a star at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My old local The Royal became the Redback which Wayne and the boys owned for a while. Poor old Stevo nearly lost his life on the footpath outside. Now apartments and IGA.

Abbotsford ? would have been the Homebush 😊

Abbotsford ? would have been the Homebush 😊

That's the one mate.

Your memory is certainly better than mine.

It was a dead shithole even back then and I might have only drank in there 3 or 4 times all up.

What are the crosses for? Question marks? I'm guessing ticks mean they are good? Maybe we hsould have a poll and peeps can rate them? I'd give the courthouse a 7 food ok atmos good
Crosses for the ones Hojuman was thrown out of. Question marks for the ones he can't remember if he was thrown out of.

Carnaby?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back