List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez we are in a precarious position with mids atm , Losing Koby last year was a blow as he had real grunt and could kick a goal , when he was on he was pretty good , now we have Stuv who may not play again some are saying or may even want to be traded , Luke is up and down like a yo yo and has doubts on him by myself and many others even though when on the ground gives 100%.
We apparently drafted Hunter and Coff to be mids , i can see Hunter being a classy mid in a year or so but i think Coff will give us his best service streaming off the back line , god knows we need some more class in the backline , Gresh maybe a chance to be a handy part time mid but are we robbing the forward line of goals by having him in the guts ?
I think billings is more of an outside player where he can use his skills, in saying that this year he has gone a lot harder into packs than he has in the past but 3 centre clearances in 8 games is not really what you want .
Lets hope Bytel can add some grunt to the midfield next year even though he will still be just a kid because even though Steele is a big lad he is so busy tagging he doesn't get the ball , a bit over 1 centre clearance per game for a guy who spends most of his time on the ball is pretty average having said that just about every part of his game has improved this year , maybe he needs to be let off the leash instead of tagging every week.
Then we have Blake and Seb , im not sure anyone has the correct answer as to where Blake's best position is, personally the more he is in the play the better i say , leave him up forward and he tends to drift out of the game and Seb , as much as he isnt the perfect mid he is about the best we have ATM so it shows IMO how much we need to draft mids and get Hanners fit , Can you imagine a Cripps in our team ? we would have won another 2 games at least.
So draft time ,,,,, Mids Mids and Mids plus a back up ruck from a state league
We'll use this and next years 1st to get Ben King, then well take Biggie, then Voss and Mifsud in rounds 5 and 6. I think those last to are mids but l dont really know. Then, we'll redraft Longer as a rookie.

Where you been mate?
Adelaide. Had a couple of very weird cases over there. Salman Rushdie once opened a writers' festival with the words, "Adelaide is a weirdly Gothic town and such places are given to weird Gothic crimes." He never did get asked back after that. Summed the place up perfectly for me. Pretty to look at but with plenty of weird s**t just under the surface.

Saw someone mention Adams and Phillips before. They’ve both signed long term deals with the Pies today. I’m sure Grundy will soon too.

Unfortunately players just don’t the big clubs as we even saw with Gaff last year.

Saw someone mention Adams and Phillips before. They’ve both signed long term deals with the Pies today. I’m sure Grundy will soon too.

Unfortunately players just don’t the big clubs as we even saw with Gaff last year.
AFL 2019: Taylor Adams, Tom Phillips agree to new long-term deals to stay at Collingwood
AFL

tom_morris.jpg

bd49ea8ef482ec30a1c6a921bc3d42c2
Taylor Adams is set to put pen to paper. Photo: Michael Klein.Source: News Corp Australia
Ball-winning duo Taylor Adams and Tom Phillips have agreed to terms on new deals that will keep them at Collingwood for the long-term.
Foxfooty.com.au understands all that remains is for the AFL to tick off on their contracts, which are both believed to be heavily back-ended. The league must approve deals and is keeping a close eye on the Magpies total player payment (TPP).
It’s believed Adams will sign a five-year deal, while insiders believe Phillips has agreed to a three-year extension.
Live stream the 2019 Toyota AFL Premiership Season on KAYO SPORTS. Every match of every round. Live & anytime on your TV or favourite device. Get your 14 day free trial >
Round 9
Collingwood faces immediate salary cap issues that are only expected to intensify with demand high for ruckman Brodie Grundy.

To counter this, the Magpies are understood to have favoured back-ended deals for several of their stars in a bid to keep them at the club and win a premiership with their current crop.

Everything remains under control at the Holden Centre and players want to stay, but the squeeze makes for a challenging few years ahead.

MORE AFL NEWS

TEAM WHISPERS: PIES CONSIDER UNLEASHING PRIZED PICK, FORGOTTEN DOCKER TO RETURN

DEES DISASTER, DONS MYTH: BEST AND WORST INSIDE 50 KICKS REVEALED

818b6df3f7e01e8b57fc8a2ebe3c4356
Tom Phillips is sticking with Collingwood. Photo: Michael Klein.Source: News Corp Australia
Jamie Elliott, Levi Greenwood, Daniel Wells and Travis Varcoe are just some of the Magpies who are out of contract at the end of this year.

Grundy becomes a restricted free agent at the end of 2020, while Darcy Moore, Chris Mayne, Brodie Mihocek and Jordan De Goey are out of contract beyond next season as well.

The squeeze forced Tom Langdon to seriously consider requesting a trade to the Sydney Swans in October, 2018, but the defender elected to stay and is enjoying a strong campaign.

No loss not signing either of them IMO , Adams is a bit of a butcher and im hoping Ed can go to the next level like Tom has . Im thinking who ever said we should chase Sier was right , pies wont offer him a truck load of cash and he is only 21

No loss not signing either of them IMO , Adams is a bit of a butcher and im hoping Ed can go to the next level like Tom has . Im thinking who ever said we should chase Sier was right , pies wont offer him a truck load of cash and he is only 21
Sier would be a good fit for us. Young, inside bull. Bit of campaigner attitude.
There are questions over his disposal at times but I think the same can be said of most inside mids in the comp.

Sier would be a good fit for us. Young, inside bull. Bit of campaigner attitude.
There are questions over his disposal at times but I think the same can be said of most inside mids in the comp.
Spot on , I like that he has a bit of Campaigner about him , so does Crips , Bont , Danger ect , Yes he can shank it at times but as i said in an earlier post , at least he can get it , His stats for the back end of last season were pretty impressive including in the finals

2 x firsts for Ben king?
Can’t tell if you’re being serious or not
With a second coming back you would..

There's a small window of basically first in best dressed with the interstate boys there. Whoever can prize king, Rankine or Luk out first basically wins.. GC will hold the next team to literal murder thereafter.

It will take something bold to get King..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With a second coming back you would..

There's a small window of basically first in best dressed with the interstate boys there. Whoever can prize king, Rankine or Luk out first basically wins.. GC will hold the next team to literal murder thereafter.

It will take something bold to get King..
All in all its a bit soon anyway with Clav and Ming yet to even debut. I hope we go hard at p1/2 this year and get a blue chip mid.
I could see Adelaide doing such a deal depending on the SA talent, particularly since last years kids cant get in the team atm.
It roughly works as our 2019/20 1st for picks 2 and 34ish and change. If Bytel comes on then I'd do it.

All in all its a bit soon anyway with Clav and Ming yet to even debut. I hope we go hard at p1/2 this year and get a blue chip mid.
I could see Adelaide doing such a deal depending on the SA talent, particularly since last years kids cant get in the team atm.
It roughly works as our 2019/20 1st for picks 2 and 34ish and change. If Bytel comes on then I'd do it.
Bytel will be our captain and best midfielder.. that I’m sure of. But filling the void of mids between now and then is the issue. I think we’ll end up getting another couple of B+ mids this year in trades is my feels.

Bytel will be our captain and best midfielder.. that I’m sure of. But filling the void of mids between now and then is the issue. I think we’ll end up getting another couple of B+ mids this year in trades is my feels.
That's a huge wrap for someone who isn't on the training track yet.

I reckon calling Bytel before he's kicked a ball for us in any meaningful way and not much form line from the last couple of years, is a big call. I hope we don't go after Ben King, we really need to be getting good top 10 mids from the draft. It smacks of a feel good story over a rational football decision.
I hope someone is in charge of a strategy other than trading in trash B grade mids from other clubs and looking at another tall defender.

Two top 10 picks in all likelihood for Ben King who went at 12 sounds like one of those very St Kilda decisions.

I reckon calling Bytel before he's kicked a ball for us in any meaningful way and not much form line from the last couple of years, is a big call. I hope we don't go after Ben King, we really need to be getting good top 10 mids from the draft. It smacks of a feel good story over a rational football decision.
I hope someone is in charge of a strategy other than trading in trash B grade mids from other clubs and looking at another tall defender.

Two top 10 picks in all likelihood for Ben King who went at 12 sounds like one of those very St Kilda decisions.
Ben King didn't go at 12. Pretty sure he went at 6.

Don't think there is any need for him now that Battle has slotted in nicely at CHB though.

Ben King didn't go at 12. Pretty sure he went at 6.

Don't think there is any need for him now that Battle has slotted in nicely at CHB though.

Just checked, he did too. Still don't think we need him unless he's a bargain. The pull to play with his brother will all ways be there. Let him play until we know if he's any good and then start talking 2 firsts. Our backline is pretty well sorted with Carlisle to come back in and Clavarino, White and Coffield all to come in at some point. Our midfield is close to the worst with Stuv in the side and with out is possibly only rivalled by GC. To go another 2 drafts with no first rounders spent on mids would be almost the single most reckless decision we could make. Buying up 2 B grade mids will cost future picks too. Probably 2 firsts for 2 mids. Where do all these picks come from. Trading out Ross and Battle or Membrey or something? Maybe Marshall?

Yep, completely agree on mids and there is opportunity cost too. Even 2 with something coming back is just wasting resources we could spend on more needed positions. Quite ok with our talls now. And if Bing leaves I’d be amazed if it’s anywhere other than here. Wait until he’s out of contract, maybe in 3.5 years time.

I like Jack Martin but he's not on the needs list to me. We really need some inside grunt.
Jack Martin is not what we need.
A 18 year old kid unless he is like a Judd is not going to help us much.. Someone like Walsh is doing well because they still have Cripps, Ed Curnow and Murphy to win the ball.. in our side, the 18 year old becomes the best mid right away. That’s the problem with Melbourne’s initial rebuild when they just had kids and not many mature players to help and support.. Ross is our oldest and most consistent mid at 26.. Steele is good but is more defensive minded.. That’s it.. everyone else is young and inconsistent. we don’t need kids now.. we need mature players that can help right away, maybe not established stars like Cogs because it’s difficult to get them, but we should try trade/Free agency as well as draft some VFL/WAFL/SAFL smokies to help.

Jack Martin is not what we need.

A 18 year old kid unless he is like a Judd is not going to help us much.. Someone like Walsh is doing well because they still have Cripps, Ed Curnow and Murphy to win the ball.. in our side, the 18 year old becomes the best mid right away. That’s the problem with Melbourne’s initial rebuild when they just had kids and not many mature players to help and support.. Ross is our oldest and most consistent mid at 26.. Steele is good but is more defensive minded.. That’s it.. everyone else is young and inconsistent. we don’t need kids now.. we need mature players that can help right away, maybe not established stars like Cogs because it’s difficult to get them, but we should try trade/Free agency as well as draft some VFL/WAFL/SAFL smokies to help.

We have Hanners and Stuv too, I think we need to get young mids in the first round with elite potential. We are struggling to land a FA or trade in a mid of any quality. The only way to get the better ones is to draft them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back