The on topic thread 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weve been over this. City are being investigated for sponsorship deals being funded by their owner. The current investigation is not about the failure to comply with FFP financial targets - that has been dealt with (and rather weakly by a former UEFA exec suspiciously desperate to help City out) back in 2014 when you were fined for being cheats.

What rule are you alleging we're being investigated for now? And what rule were we found in breach for before?

If you don't know the answer to both questions you're probably not in a position to know one way or another.

It refers to Kiev as the first line states.

So it was about the other fans getting assaulted? Oh good. Carry on.

City fans are welcome to chant/sing what they want but should expect to be called out for a lack of class by the rest of the world when those songs are in poor taste. This one has been called out a few times over the last year but every fan base has overstepped the mark at some point so it’s nothing new. This time it’s getting more traction because it’s City players and officials who should know better and are rightfully held to higher standards than the terraces.

It's been mentioned on radio, TV, social media, newspapers and in this thread.

No it wasn’t.

So it was about the other fans getting assaulted? Oh good. Carry on.

Yep, like dozens of football chants at just about every football club. Not all of them are in good taste. Most of the ones that talk about other teams/supporters are s**t.

I don't personally like (or sing) it. But I don't see much difference between that and "build a bonfire", "If I die", "My old man" etc.

Players and staff singing along brings a bit more attention obviously, I doubt any of the players even know the words until the Sterling bit.

If people don't think it's acceptable that's up to them.

City fans are welcome to chant/sing what they want but should expect to be called out for a lack of class by the rest of the world when those songs are in poor taste. This one has been called out a few times over the last year but every fan base has overstepped the mark at some point so it’s nothing new. This time it’s getting more traction because it’s City players and officials who should know better and are rightfully held to higher standards than the terraces.

People can call us out if they like. Up to them again.

All I'm arguing against is the stories being put out there now that the song is about Sean Cox and Hillsborough. It's not.

No it wasn’t.

Conveniently.

Just like “always the victims” is about everything else, but specifically excludes Hillsborough, conveniently.

Yep, like dozens of football chants at just about every football club. Not all of them are in good taste. Most of the ones that talk about other teams/supporters are ****.

I don't personally like (or sing) it. But I don't see much difference between that and "build a bonfire", "If I die", "My old man" etc.

Players and staff singing along brings a bit more attention obviously, I doubt any of the players even know the words until the Sterling bit.

If people don't think it's acceptable that's up to them.

People can call us out if they like. Up to them again.

All I'm arguing against is the stories being put out there now that the song is about Sean Cox and Hillsborough. It's not.

Conveniently.

"Always the victims" is a different chant.

I’ve heard this song defended because apparently it’s about all the other fans who were “battered in the streets”, but specifically excluding Sean Cox ending up in a coma with multiple permanent disabilities, conveniently. Just like “always the victims” is about everything else, but specifically excludes Hillsborough, conveniently.

2 different songs, but the defence by those who sing it is similar.

So when people sing “always the victims, never your fault”, they’re apparently referring to every other time Liverpool fans claimed not to be at fault for an incident, but specifically not the most blindingly obvious one that’s had the most publicity, would be the first to come to mind for 99% of people, and that everyone knows is likely to antagonise in Hillsborough.

Similarly when people sing “battered in the streets”, they’re apparently referring to every other time Liverpool fans we’re battered in the streets during the 2017/18 Champions League knockouts, but specifically not the most blindingly obvious one that’s had the most publicity, would be the first to come to mind for 99% of people, and that everyone knows is likely to antagonise in Sean Cox.

Either way, both are pretty c**tish chants, and while all fanbases have been guilty of c**tish behaviour over the years and it’s probably a lost cause to hold any of them to account, I’d be really disappointed if I ever heard our players/club officials singing something like this. Let alone laughing and singing about a fellow professional suffering a serious injury.

Really out of character for City as a club to be fair, but then I see that bizarrely your PR team (who are normally pretty watertight) have doubled down on it this morning. Regrettable lapse of judgement by a few daft and probably pissed players/officials, and poorly dealt with imo.

2 different songs, but the defence by those who sing it is similar.

So when people sing “always the victims, never your fault”, they’re apparently referring to every other time Liverpool fans claimed not to be at fault for an incident, but specifically not the most blindingly obvious one that’s had the most publicity, would be the first to come to mind for 99% of people, and that everyone knows is likely to antagonise in Hillsborough.

Similarly when people sing “battered in the streets”, they’re apparently referring to every other time Liverpool fans we’re battered in the streets during the 2017/18 Champions League knockouts, but specifically not the most blindingly obvious one that’s had the most publicity, would be the first to come to mind for 99% of people, and that everyone knows is likely to antagonise in Sean Cox.

Either way, both are pretty c**tish chants, and while all fanbases have been guilty of c**tish behaviour over the years and it’s probably a lost cause to hold any of them to account, I’d be really disappointed if I ever heard our players/club officials singing something like this. Let alone laughing and singing about a fellow professional suffering a serious injury.

Really out of character for City as a club to be fair, but then I see that bizarrely your PR team (who are normally pretty watertight) have doubled down on it this morning. Regrettable lapse of judgement by a few daft and probably pissed players/officials, and poorly dealt with imo.
I'll stand corrected on the Hillsborough reference, apologies. There definitely has been suggestions it's a mocking Hillsborough chant today, which is a bit disingenuous.

In this case the song is about Kiev. The first line of it specifically states it's about Kiev.

People trying to make it into a chant mocking Sean Cox are also being disingenuous.

I agree it's a pretty campaignerish chant, for me there's a lot better ways to take the piss out of Liverpool than tall about a match they got to by beating (amongst others) us. But hey, take out campaignerish chants from football grounds and people start talking about sterile atmospheres and prawn sandwiches.

I do like the last couple of lines though and hopefully it will be re-reworded next season. And if the players/staff sing it then they turn off mobile phones.

Last edited:
Yeah was talking about the chant, but in the wider context some people are totally blinkered when it comes to their club.
One day you'll have to write me a list of what opinions I'm allowed to have to avoid being seen as biased in your eyes.

It'll give me a good laugh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One day you'll have to write me a list of what opinions I'm allowed to have to avoid being seen as biased in your eyes.

It'll give me a good laugh.
One day you might actually lose your obvious flawed bias. Until then I’ll call it out

One day you might actually lose your obvious flawed bias. Until then I’ll call it out
What was biased about what I said?

I said I don't like it and don't sing it.

I said it a s**t chants and a campaignerish one.

I said that the players and will rightly get a bollocking for this getting out into the public domain.

What else is there to express a non biased point of view? I can't say it's a chant about Hillsborough and Sean Cox because I know it's not.

Public floggings? Sackings? Is that good enough for you?

You're an old s**t record that hasn't been changed for years. You'll cry bias as a standard response whether there is bias or not.

And what's more, having listened to the tripe that is your opinion for a number of years, and knowing your views on politics and political correctness I'm pretty sure you couldn't give the slightest of craps about the chant, but just can't help yourself.

Enjoy the sunshine sweetcheeks, it'll be winter soon. xxx

What was biased about what I said?

I said I don't like it and don't sing it.

I said it a **** chants and a campaignerish one.

I said that the players and will rightly get a bollocking for this getting out into the public domain.

What else is there to express a non biased point of view? I can't say it's a chant about Hillsborough and Sean Cox because I know it's not.

Public floggings? Sackings? Is that good enough for you?

You're an old **** record that hasn't been changed for years. You'll cry bias as a standard response whether there is bias or not.

And what's more, having listened to the tripe that is your opinion for a number of years, and knowing your views on politics and political correctness I'm pretty sure you couldn't give the slightest of craps about the chant, but just can't help yourself.

Enjoy the sunshine sweetcheeks, it'll be winter soon. xxx
Moomba there is no need to get precious about it.

You’re trying to excuse rather than outright own up to your players shameful behaviour. The excuses are all there in black and white mate, playing down the real meaning of the chant and questioning wether your players understood it, claiming such chants are part and parcel of football and without them the atmosphere becomes sterile. It’s just like the FFP stuff, excuses, excuses, excuses. Just try and own it for once, you’ll actually feel better and won’t feel the need to fire off melts like you just did.

You don’t think I give a crap about the chant because I hate political correctness? You actually think I find chanting about 96 deaths and fans being put in comas funny? Come on mate don’t be that guy.

You’ve always had a problem with anyone attacking your club. You’re way too defensive and sensitive about it. The sooner you lose that persecution complex the better it will be for you. Constantly finding excuses is simply digging yourself into a deeper hole

Remember when that Pool fan shoved the Barca fan into the water fountain?

Imagine if anyone here actually defended that crap. LFC fans outright condemned it with no argument.

Yet if WE experience any success ever it would be ruining football and the earth would implode. What a load of garbage.

Moomba there is no need to get precious about it.

You’re trying to excuse rather than outright own up to your players shameful behaviour. The excuses are all there in black and white mate, playing down the real meaning of the chant and questioning wether your players understood it, claiming such chants are part and parcel of football and without them the atmosphere becomes sterile. It’s just like the FFP stuff, excuses, excuses, excuses. Just try and own it for once, you’ll actually feel better and won’t feel the need to fire off melts like you just did.

You don’t think I give a crap about the chant because I hate political correctness? You actually think I find chanting about 96 deaths and fans being put in comas funny? Come on mate don’t be that guy.

You’ve always had a problem with anyone attacking your club. You’re way too defensive and sensitive about it. The sooner you lose that persecution complex the better it will be for you. Constantly finding excuses is simply digging yourself into a deeper hole
I haven't defended the players.

I've said they and the staff involved will rightly get a bollocking. How is that difficult for you to understand?

And why are you equating this chant with songs about 96 deaths and a fan being put in a coma. It has nothing to do with either.

Do Spurs not have songs about fighting with Arsenal/Chelsea/West Ham etc? Most clubs do.

I haven't defended the players.

I've said they and the staff involved will rightly get a bollocking. How is that difficult for you to understand?

And why are you equating this chant with songs about 96 deaths and a fan being put in a coma. It has nothing to do with either.

Do Spurs not have songs about fighting with Arsenal/Chelsea/West Ham etc? Most clubs do.
You condemn it then try and excuse or justify it in your next sentence. Just leave it be after condemning them. Go back over your posts and you’ll see.

Everyone knows where the Liverpool “victims” schtick comes from. Again this is an excuse you’re trying to peddle. It’s widely known Hillsborough is where Liverpool got that victims tag from.

I’m sure there are songs we’ve got about fighting with our rivals. Are they connected to events as tragic as something like Hillsborough though - no.

I’m sure there are songs we’ve got about fighting with our rivals. Are they connected to events as tragic as something like Hillsborough though - no.

Just like us, and if you want to use Hillsborough to point score when it's clear from the words of the song, and after it's clearly been explained to you that's it's about Kiev then that's up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back