News Collingwood News & Media

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ball-winning duo Taylor Adams and Tom Phillips have agreed to terms on new deals that will keep them at Collingwood for the long-term.
Foxfooty.com.au understands all that remains is for the AFL to tick off on their contracts, which are both believed to be heavily back-ended. The league must approve deals and is keeping a close eye on the Magpies total player payment (TPP).
It’s believed Adams will sign a five-year deal, while insiders believe Phillips has agreed to a three-year extension.

Collingwood faces immediate salary cap issues that are only expected to intensify with demand high for ruckman Brodie Grundy.
To counter this, the Magpies are understood to have favoured back-ended deals for several of their stars in a bid to keep them at the club and win a premiership with their current crop.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...d/news-story/66439cc67a5a489e10d9bd85d1ceb836
Lol at the AFL "keeping a close eye" on our salary cap situation. Yeah, because 17 other clubs aren't at 95%+ of the salary cap as required, right?

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Lol at the AFL "keeping a close eye" on our salary cap situation. Yeah, because 17 other clubs aren't at 95%+ of the salary cap as required, right?

They’d be monitoring our future allocation. For instance if we have 8 players signed til 2021 and 50% of that years cap space has been provisionally spent that would be cause for concern. It’s not to say we wouldn’t have it under control, but it would at least warrant opening a dialogue.

I liked that too. Gave me an image of someone spending all day staring at an excel document and adding up the same figures over and over again. Use the sum function you idiot.

At the same time I hope Ned Guy knows what he's doing and isn't some cowboy who thinks he can outsmart a very linear system. He doesn't come across that way though.

They’d be monitoring our future allocation. For instance if we have 8 players signed til 2021 and 50% of that years cap space has been provisionally spent that would be cause for concern. It’s not to say we wouldn’t have it under control, but it would at least warrant opening a dialogue.

Would this be an issue for us in future? We are backloading a lot of contracts - understandably for present success - but it can come back to bite us in future if we are not careful. We've sort of already given up certain future players by trading our draft picks.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I liked that too. Gave me an image of someone spending all day staring at an excel document and adding up the same figures over and over again. Use the sum function you idiot.

At the same time I hope Ned Guy knows what he's doing and isn't some cowboy who thinks he can outsmart a very linear system. He doesn't come across that way though.
Ned Guy strikes me as a very good operator. The pairing of him (with a player management background) and Derek Hine (with a talent identification/recruitment background) is a very good one.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Would this be an issue for us in future? We are backloading a lot of contracts - understandably for present success - but it can come back to bite us in future if we are not careful. We've sort of already given up certain future players by trading our draft picks.

You can rest easy because the people in control of our pay structure would be as smart as me ;)

The only spanner in the works would be the next CBA being significantly less than the current one which is unlikely given increases to viewership and attendances. Either way the AFL are right to keep an eye on it.

Saw Shae McNamra post this on Facebook

HpNrNIej.jpg:large
Shae Mac! I remember that guy...

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Saw Shae McNamra post this on Facebook

HpNrNIej.jpg:large

Sorry, what was Shae McNamara posting on facebook? Was it more "I couldda been a contender" stuff? Because he always seemed alittle overenthusiastic about his own prospects to be honest.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ball-winning duo Taylor Adams and Tom Phillips have agreed to terms on new deals that will keep them at Collingwood for the long-term.
Foxfooty.com.au understands all that remains is for the AFL to tick off on their contracts, which are both believed to be heavily back-ended. The league must approve deals and is keeping a close eye on the Magpies total player payment (TPP).
It’s believed Adams will sign a five-year deal, while insiders believe Phillips has agreed to a three-year extension.

Collingwood faces immediate salary cap issues that are only expected to intensify with demand high for ruckman Brodie Grundy.
To counter this, the Magpies are understood to have favoured back-ended deals for several of their stars in a bid to keep them at the club and win a premiership with their current crop.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...d/news-story/66439cc67a5a489e10d9bd85d1ceb836

I hope they are keeping a close eye on all clubs TPP.

Good news on Adams and Flipper. Now to lock in Grundy, and give a giant middle finger to the trolls.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
As an example, 3 years at $600 becomes 5 years at $360k

Probably more than $360k but that's generally the way they structure it from what we read in the papers. Player trades say $1.8m for 3 years for something like $2-2.4M over 4-5.

Not sure why they always feel the need to guess on contracts being front/back ended and/or the amount.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
That'd have him effectively playing his last 2 years for free.

Who knows what permutations contracts have these days... he could be heavily incentive based in his final two years or something else we don't fully understand. I highly doubt he is being paid top dollar for the entire duration of the contract though, I reckon we must have used the length of the contract as a bargaining chip to pay him slightly less than what he would have commanded on a shorter contract though. He's probably in our top 5 must keeps for the future but with bigger fish to settle maybe he budged a bit and took a hit in his pay for the stability of knowing he will see out a full career in black and white.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

I don't envy whoever has to balance the cap and make sure everyone is happy, and try to keep a bit of a war chest available to perhaps get future free agents. A bit of a mind boggling task... so much to consider and players' stocks and constantly rising and falling... have to be so careful but also pay enough to retain your stars but not overpay anyone and get the contract lengths right and all the negotiation. Nightmare job, would be very stressful.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't envy whoever has to balance the cap and make sure everyone is happy, and try to keep a bit of a war chest available to perhaps get future free agents. A bit of a mind boggling task... so much to consider and players' stocks and constantly rising and falling... have to be so careful but also pay enough to retain your stars but not overpay anyone and get the contract lengths right and all the negotiation. Nightmare job, would be very stressful.

Thank God for spreadsheets.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

I think it takes a certain type of personality. I mean I would love every single aspect of a role like that except if it included dealing with the media.

May 29, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SS Lazio

The AFL only has enough resources to keep a close eye on one club at a time. It is incredibly noteworthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SS Lazio

Buddy Franklin and Kurt Tippett boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back