List Mgmt. The Salary Cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Folks, so much discussion all over the threads about this player and that players salary.

What they should get, pay cuts, fitting in....

• This thread can be salary cap based
  • What is our actual salary cap?
  • what is the average salary per player league wise; what is our clubs salary cap average per player
  • What do first year players get
  • What is the minimum salary allowed?
Since people seem to know everyone’s contract does the maths work?

If we are giving Grundy say $300 k extra isn’t as simple as keep a few players that are depth types only on lesser coin eg Wills, Madgen etc

Folks, so much discussion all over the threads about this player and that players salary.

What they should get, pay cuts, fitting in....

• This thread can be salary cap based
  • What is our actual salary cap?
  • what is the average salary per player league wise; what is our clubs salary cap average per player
  • What do first year players get
  • What is the minimum salary allowed?
Since people seem to know everyone’s contract does the maths work?

If we are giving Grundy say $300 k extra isn’t as simple as keep a few players that are depth types only on lesser coin eg Wills, Madgen etc
Salary cap this year is $12,758,095

Min wage outside of first and second year players, rookies and players promoted from rookie list is $105k base plus $5k per match. Essentially this means that if a player is on a guaranteed lump sum contract (ie. no requirements for matches to be played), the minimum is $215k (ie. $105k plus 22x$5k). I think this number can be important for cap management as it influences how low one can go front or back ending contracts. Given the $180k tax threshold, wouldn't want to go much below that anyway.

Go to page 64 onwards of the CBA
http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-2022-CBA.pdf

First and second year player wages set out on page 67.

Managing the salary cap has become a really important part of a footy club. Clarkson has claimed that their policy of not giving anyone top tier wages was the biggest factor in their sustained success. They had a policy of no salary beginning with a number over 7 - or something like that. It cost them Buddy, but enabled them to continually bring in new recruits to top up.

The issue for us supporters in considering the cap though is that none of us have an accurate account of what individual players are being paid. Figures in the press are just rumours and if you do the maths they all appear to be exaggerated. so as far as I'm concerned, we've all got our heads in the sand, whether we want to or not.

All I have to say on the matter is: with a really exciting young list, hopefully our boys are close knit enough and prioritise success enough to play for us for less than market value.

Here's my contribution. I took the figures of the number of players on each salary band - centre column
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-06/six-milliondollar-men-as-player-salaries-go-up-again

and divided it by 18 to give the right columan and a rough estimate of how many Pies are on that salary band. Rough estimate.

Obviously, you have to look at some bands as a grouping. It sort of indicates that there are about 2 players above $700K. About 2 or 3 on 600K-700K..... about 3 on 500K-600K..... about 5 on 400K-500K etc etc. Obviously some teams structure differently. Richmond has a lot of top end players etc etc...

but it gives a general idea...

1557989427644.png

Here's my contribution. I took the figures of the number of players on each salary band - centre column
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-06/six-milliondollar-men-as-player-salaries-go-up-again

and divided it by 18 to give the right columan and a rough estimate of how many Pies are on that salary band. Rough estimate.

Obviously, you have to look at some bands as a grouping. It sort of indicates that there are about 2 players above $700K. About 2 or 3 on 600K-700K..... about 3 on 500K-600K..... about 5 on 400K-500K etc etc. Obviously some teams structure differently. Richmond has a lot of top end players etc etc...

but it gives a general idea...

View attachment 674891

So on average, each team has about 8 players at $500k or greater, it then comes down to the distribution.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back