2019 Trade thread

Thing is, we don't have a KPF in the NEAFL who can come in play the McStay role.

Fullerton is a Cat B rookie and can only be promoted if there is a player placed on the long term injury list.

Wooller is more a third tall, leading forward, which possibly would interfere with Hipwood's game.

Ballenden is not ready.

No. That was Walsh and Duursma.
Might have been Duursma that I was thinking of!

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Would our pick from Collingwood be enough for GWS?
No idea. I know if I was a GWS fan, I would be saying GTFO.

Don't believe Caldwell would be looking to leave after one year.

Bonar is the most likely. Possibly Jackson Hately if he wanted back to South Australia.

I would imagine our pick which Gold Coast hold, would be enough to get either Caldwell or Hately if either were to leave looking for more senior playing opportunities.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No idea. I know if I was a GWS fan, I would be saying GTFO.

Don't believe Caldwell would be looking to leave after one year.

Bonar is the most likely. Possibly Jackson Hately if he wanted back to South Australia.

I would imagine our pick which Gold Coast hold, would be enough to get either Caldwell or Hately if either were to leave looking for more senior playing opportunities.

I can't see them trading Hately or Caldwell after a single year - I know they traded Boyd after a year but that was a pretty ridiculous deal (griffen and pick 6). You just shouldn't be trading draft picks when they still have another year on their initial contract to go.

Of course GWS managed to completely mess up the 2014 draft (3 top 10 picks, all of them are at other clubs already) so weirdly I'd say the dogs managed to win that trade with one game from boyd.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thing is, we don't have a KPF in the NEAFL who can come in play the McStay role.

Fullerton is a Cat B rookie and can only be promoted if there is a player placed on the long term injury list.

Wooller is more a third tall, leading forward, which possibly would interfere with Hipwood's game.

Ballenden is not ready.

No. That was Walsh and Duursma.

The out of contract/potentially available key position players at the end of this year who could take McStay's spot aren't great either.

I was listening to the Lystics AFL podcast that does list analysis stuff and the names they had as available KPP types were Weideman, Peter Wright (likely to re-sign with GC on too much money), Astbury (too old and wrong end of the ground), Sam Day (injuries have killed his career).

McStay was thrown up by the podcast folks as a decent option for a few other teams to pursue. I'm in favour of re-signing him as he'll be cheaper than other options and we could be in a worse position. He's not great but I'm not sure we will have better options in the next year or two until Fullerton develops and is promoted - which is no sure thing.

I'll expect we will look at drafting a development prospect after we address the midfield/running defender positions.

Lions Lions

All Australian
Sep 23, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Oskar Baker is back on my radar, he is back injury free for Casey and pushing for selection at Melbourne. OOC at seasons end is the fast smart wingman who is a good ball user and kicks goals. Could potentially be a HB with some exposure. QLDER.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Oskar Baker is back on my radar, he is back injury free for Casey and pushing for selection at Melbourne. OOC at seasons end is the fast smart wingman who is a good ball user and kicks goals. Could potentially be a HB with some exposure. QLDER.
Interesting with Oskar. Melbourne has a shocking injury list with few players left to pick from & I haven't seen his name mentioned yet as a possible in. Would love to see him succeed. Played in the same team as my young bloke at WGJFC a few years back.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Trade up in draft... move up the order
Package collingwoods pick 18 and gold coasts pick 22 for example and move up to 10??
From my uneducated view, the talent available around picks 10 to 15 this year is of the same quality as last years picks 10 to 15.

It would be hard to trade up in to this bracket. Especially if there’s a perceived drop off in talent around or before our pick 18.

The one pick we could try and target would be the Essendon pick that GWS holds, especially if their academy player is expected to be bid on before that pick.

However I would imagine that GWS will be trying to package their two first round picks to move up as well.

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dan the Man has played every game this year. As far as I can see he gets rotated only infrequently- ie he is predominantly on field.

He has kicked 8 goals this season. That's one goal per game. We won't count the misses.

He is 195cm and around 100kg's. He is in other words one big unit. Lachie Neale is 177cm and weighs 82kg's. Big he ain't. He'll never be in the hunt for MOTY. But who would you back in a on-on-one ground ball contest [no need to answer this self-evident question].

There is only so far a KPF can go without being a KPF. I am well aware Dan has his rusted-on supporters here [contests the ball, brings to ground, playing his role, foil for Hipwood, etc etc]. He is quite obviously being given the chance [like last year and the year before] to develop, and fair enough. KPF's don't grow on trees.

But when is enough enough. I agree no potential KPF in the NEAFL is knocking down the door. But maybe we should take the chance on the most promising.

This is not another McStay whinge or whine, rather intended as a statement of the bleeding obvious. Right now he is being carried.
I think Dan is definitely worth persisting with. He has some great attributes - can jump and mark, good pace (set up a goal in weekend burning off defenders) and is agile. In my mind he has had just over 1 season as a full time forward. Prior to that he was down back, up forward, down back, up forward ....
I think we should be in a better position to judge his development come mid 2020.

Lions Lions

All Australian
Sep 23, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting with Oskar. Melbourne has a shocking injury list with few players left to pick from & I haven't seen his name mentioned yet as a possible in. Would love to see him succeed. Played in the same team as my young bloke at WGJFC a few years back.
Hes coming off a couple of medium term injuries, needs a few games under belt before hed be ready at afl level. Was extremely good for casey last week. Think he can make at AFL level.

Lions Lions

All Australian
Sep 23, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From my uneducated view, the talent available around picks 10 to 15 this year is of the same quality as last years picks 10 to 15.

It would be hard to trade up in to this bracket. Especially if there’s a perceived drop off in talent around or before our pick 18.

The one pick we could try and target would be the Essendon pick that GWS holds, especially if their academy player is expected to be bid on before that pick.

However I would imagine that GWS will be trying to package their two first round picks to move up as well.
Could we dangle a future first rounder to move up?

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would be worth the inquiry but with most of the footy industry expecting us to improve even further in 2020 I don't know how many clubs would be willing to gamble on us unexpectedly falling.

Also do we take the risk that we won't have a bad year. A couple of things go wrong and could be giving up a top 4 pick. Look at Melbourne this year. If the draft is deep we may go to the draft with 16/22 - those picks got us Berry and Witherden in 2016

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Also do we take the risk that we won't have a bad year. A couple of things go wrong and could be giving up a top 4 pick. Look at Melbourne this year. If the draft is deep we may go to the draft with 16/22 - those picks got us Berry and Witherden in 2016

Almost certainly a harder draw next year, we are due for a bad injury run etc. It'd be a fair risk.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hes coming off a couple of medium term injuries, needs a few games under belt before hed be ready at afl level. Was extremely good for casey last week. Think he can make at AFL level.
Well the Ginger Ninja has scored his 1st game friday night for Melbourne. Wishing Oskar Baker the best of luck

Depends on what we’d give up doesn’t it.

He's just going to hold Ballenden up in my view. I think Ballenden will offer more incremental growth through playing AFL and gaining experience compared to being stuck in NEAFL.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I wonder if we'll make inquiries about Jarrod Cameron, we are obviously interested in him seeing we bid on him in the draft, with Willie Rioli, Liam Ryan, Jamie Cripps and Jack Pettruccelle in front of him in his position he may be in for a long wait to get his chance.

If we decide to move Tom Cutler on (which I don't want to do) he could be involved in the trade???? eg. Tom Cutler for Jarrod Cameron and a 2nd round selection??

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wonder if we'll make inquiries about Jarrod Cameron, we are obviously interested in him seeing we bid on him in the draft, with Willie Rioli, Liam Ryan, Jamie Cripps and Jack Pettruccelle in front of him in his position he may be in for a long wait to get his chance.

If we decide to move Tom Cutler on (which I don't want to do) he could be involved in the trade???? eg. Tom Cutler for Jarrod Cameron and a 2nd round selection??

Yeah that might be an option. But I doubt we get a second rounder and J Cameron for Cutler. Yes Cutler has shown he can perform at AFL level, but at this point we have decided he is not worthy of a regular spot and at 24 that means he becomes fairly cheap on the trade table. Similar in value, maybe even less than Mayes. So we would be doing well with a straight swap I would think.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Cutler is not a WA lad is he?

If leaves, I would imagine it’s back to Victoria.

Back