hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Jenkins said he expects he, Douglas and Seeds to play AFL this week? Where and when did he say it? Is there audio of it because I just can’t believe it, surely he meant SANFL.
He thought he would be back in the side by now.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
He thought he would be back in the side by now.
I think I know which comments you are referring to, that was more a general comment of where he’s at, it’s not the same as him saying he, Douglas and Seeds will be playing AFL this week.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Glad someone saw Atkins’ contribution as worth a mention.

I agree that his was a solid contribution being the outlet player. 75% of possessions in the back half, with his natural left side meaning he keeps our initial outlet boundary side.

No chance he’s dropped
Over 600 metres gained, 21 disposals from a winger, decent disposal efficiency and a goal. To borrow a line from Marty, he was outstanding.

EddieWalker

Team Captain
Oct 13, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Gibbs on a wing might work. But who moves to half forward to accommodate this? Doesn’t appear to be a logical candidate. Atkins or Mackay at half forward = no thanks.

Last year, Gibbs played some great footy as an inside mid. With Brad back, and with the amazing form of CEY, he simply can’t get a gig in there without an injury. Not happening unless M Crouch is ruled out.

To summarise, I don’t think it makes much sense to select Gibbs if Crouch is fit to play. Just like it didn’t make much sense to select Poholke against the Saints.

I’d bank on it happening 🥴

Big no to DMac playing half forward, but I don't mind the idea of Rat from memory he played a fair bit of junior footy there and played there when we first drafted him.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I thought Rat was good last week and I'd admit I'm one of his harshest critics.
Rat just needs to realise he is not Dustin Martin and dispose of the ball instantaneously instead of getting caught htb. Would like a bit more mongrel from him but doesn't seem to be in his nature. I feel Rat needs to play at high intensity each week to keep his spot but is most likely doing enough currently. Has been better than Knight and Gallucci.

Continuity in a side is vastly underrated. Have a look at the recent years we made a prelim - 05/06/12/17 - the thing in common with these seasons was having a lot of stability.

The great thing is we are winning and have best 22 players returning (brown last week and Milera, Seedsman and Douglas soon). We also have some talented kids waiting in the wings - Fog, Jones, McHenry.

For me - changes I would like to see most:

Crouch (Injured/rest) - Gibbs in
Gooch (omitted) - Jones in

Don't quite agree - the one thing those seasons had in common was our best players remaining injury free. How we select sides and manage the squad is another story.

Our commitment to playing as few players as possible/refusing to rest injured players cost us a shot at a flag in 2016.

The aim should be to keep your squad fresh. Role players who are not playing their role should also be dropped and not repeatedly backed in. Finding a player who is an upgrade on the incumbent is a bonus. The Bulldogs sort of stumbled into a flag in 2016 by having a bunch of their best players come back fresh for the finals.

Rat just needs to realise he is not Dustin Martin and dispose of the ball instantaneously instead of getting caught htb. Would like a bit more mongrel from him but doesn't seem to be in his nature. I feel Rat needs to play at high intensity each week to keep his spot but is most likely doing enough currently. Has been better than Knight and Gallucci.
I said the same thing to a person I was watching with even added perhaps if one of his horses gives him a kick, it may instill some mongrel.

Perthcrow23

Senior List
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tell'im he's dreamin'.

I cannot imagine on what grounds he has that confidence, and if it was true who would he replace?
This Board will go boonta if JJ is selected for the Brisbane game.
I can see it now... " EH has put in a good block of games but is young and needs a rest, JJ has put in a body of work in the the SANFL and at training and we have full faith in the veteran to deliver" ...

Also im loving the use of boonta🤣

I have never understood the calls for Atkins to be dropped.

Yes when we are losing he has a poor game as the outside opportunities dry up. Especially one on the cusp of best 22. But when we are playing well he plays his role very well.

Said at the start of the year this could be his break out season, and although he has not stolen any headlines he is building well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He's an excellent player when he's up and about. Good disposal, covers a lot of ground, decent goal sense, etc.

The issue with him is he still pulls out an absolutely shitful game once every four or five weeks, where he gets 10 disposals at a poor DE.

Not sure if he struggles with his recovery at times or if it's between the ears. Similar to Bernie IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Also im loving the use of boonta🤣
:)
I loved it the first time I heard it, late 80's, from an ex- of mine, a country girl, Port Augusta.
Apparently, it originates in South Oz and probably has indigenous roots.
I drive through a lot of Country towns with wonderful indigenous-based names eg Gulargambone, Gilgandra, Brewarrina and many more.
My fave is Onkaparinga; great word, great name.
(Mods/ deaneus : sorry if it's thread derailment :drunk:)

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hang on a minute - I thought we were rebuilding and needed to play the yoof ?

Youre right I want to play McHenery Jones Fog Stengle Mcadam

But I know full well they wont play aswell as those being chosen ATM but we need to develop

Kane McGoodwin rightfully pointed out we are third on the ladder and didn't have any of those in his best 22, which if we want a flag is correct and I would agree with him on that

I just don't think we can challenge for a flag which is why I want those players to develop into good players unfortunately they aren't there yet and need developing

Aug 28, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
I actually disagree with this, he has an excellent side step and is very good at holding onto the ball for just the right amount of time. I reckon the coaches would encourage him told hold the ball and take people on because he is a natural at it.

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just don't think we can challenge for a flag which is why I want those players to develop into good players unfortunately they aren't there yet and need developing
If we're making predictions for the season, no, I'm not predicting us to win this year, but I'm certainly not writing us off. And I wouldn't expect any club in our situation to write it off from where we are after round 8.

Find ways of getting some games into these guys? Yes. Every year. Make it a priority, because we don't think we can win the flag this year? No.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back