Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens to the kids then

People also move to the country because it’s cheaper

That's my entire point, and it has been since I entered this thread.
If you look back in this thread where i have clearly stated that it it is the community, which is already struggling through drought, who is stepping up and helping these kids.
These people aren't moving out here for a lifestyle choice, they are here because it makes their welfare life easier.

Craven Morehead your part of Australia is a bit of **** hole. How the **** is "tough love" going to create jobs? That doesn't even work in the better parts of Australia.

Another who wants to take a cheap shot, (but has no remedy, or is that no care or understanding?), of the issue.

That's my entire point, and it has been since I entered this thread.
If you look back in this thread where i have clearly stated that it it is the community, which is already struggling through drought, who is stepping up and helping these kids.
These people aren't moving out here for a lifestyle choice, they are here because it makes their welfare life easier

What you are posting is happening all over Australia not just places more than 65km away from wherever.

As I’ve previously said there is always going to be a pocket that will remain forever unemployed but whether you want to believe it or not for the most part those accessing the services you begrudge are in fact people wanting to work but just can’t find a job - In December 2018 ratio of jobs to unemployed was 1:15.57 or students trying to get ahead

You can cut the benefits of those “wasting” it but for those with children the only ones hurt in that scenario are kids, which equals more of them placed in care

You will also see a spike in crime and the inevitable whinge about the failures of police and courts and the cost of keeping them in jail.

Then just as it is with the pocket of hardcore welfare Addicts out come those who think that their taxes shouldn’t benefit those less fortunate than themselves

Rinse and repeat

So they want to raise Newstart by $75/week.

That's a decent amount!

How is this going to make people look for jobs?

By allowing them to actually pay their rent AND eat, as well as pay for a phone and internet and clothes and petrol or bus/train pass to look for, get, and maintain a job.

That's if they're not laughing all the way to the bottle-o in the meantime, amirite?!

A lot of things have changed in real terms.

How much should Newstart be? Same as the pension? Less? More? People complain that the pension isn't enough either.

Newstart isn't actually supposed to be enough to live off and never has been. It should be (IMO) a livable wage for for a period, not forever.

The thing is, it's not even liveable if you're having to stump up 60-80% of your payment for rent right off the bat (which many would have to do), because rent prices are so high and/or you just don't get enough.

What you are posting is happening all over Australia not just places more than 65km away from wherever.

As I’ve previously said there is always going to be a pocket that will remain forever unemployed but whether you want to believe it or not for the most part those accessing the services you begrudge are in fact people wanting to work but just can’t find a job - In December 2018 ratio of jobs to unemployed was 1:15.57 or students trying to get ahead

You can cut the benefits of those “wasting” it but for those with children the only ones hurt in that scenario are kids, which equals more of them placed in care

You will also see a spike in crime and the inevitable whinge about the failures of police and courts and the cost of keeping them in jail.

Then just as it is with the pocket of hardcore welfare Addicts out come those who think that their taxes shouldn’t benefit those less fortunate than themselves

Rinse and repeat
It’s been shown repeatedly that Australia’s welfare is one of the most tightly targeted in the Western world, to the point that legitimate people are missing out to save us from the mythical hordes of bludgers out there. There will always be a few that successfully game the system but to punish 99 good people to catch that 1 is downright ******* mean.

Newstart isn't affordable if you want to live alone, ur gonna have to have a roommate(s)
If you are newstart you can get rent assitance, I have seen some get rent assistance that covers almost their entire rent

So you're allowed to 'tell it like it is', but when someone else does it, it's **** you?

Your remedy is the dumbest ****.

And your remedy is non-existent. More of the same and the children continue to suffer and have zero chance in life. DSC_0025.JPG
The irony of someone who loves living in high density sh!tty city living calling where I live a sh!thole is not lost on me.
Meanwhile, where I live.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rinse and repeat

Yet again, I have never said to cut benefits.
Just force them to spend it on what it's intended for.

Probably about 95 of them met the selection criteria
Had the same scenario for a role that required no qualifications. Over 200 applications. Of which we culled to a list of about 10 and started the interview process there. Of the ten we had arranged to speak to, 7 didn't show up at all. After confirming they would. Has happened every time we advertise for a position.

Make of that what you will.

Had the same scenario for a role that required no qualifications. Over 200 applications. Of which we culled to a list of about 10 and started the interview process there. Of the ten we had arranged to speak to, 7 didn't show up at all. After confirming they would. Has happened every time we advertise for a position.

I do get a lot of no-shows to interviews, gives me the ******* shits.

Its an interesting one all this newstart and cant get a job etc. Its a bit like people say they cant buy a house because of prices, there are houses, you will just have to move from where you live. Same with newstart, don't spend 70-80% of your newstart on rent, move out from the city more to where rent is cheaper if it is such a struggle.

But people don't want to move or live in a smaller house etc. They want to live where they have grown up or better but expect it to come cheap or affordable. My parents grew up in Northcote, when they got married they couldn't afford a house in Northcote so they built a house in Eltham. They had kids and when we were old enough to buy a house, we couldn't afford a house in Eltham so we brought another 20mins away from the city. You have to live in what you can afford or where you can afford.

My missus is the perfect example, she bought a house, had 2 kids and then separated. Couldn't afford the house she was in so sold up, and bought something much less and nowhere near as good. Survived for a few years on single mum pension and some cash jobs but survived (without any help from her ex in the way of child support etc). She brought what she could afford (barely, but could afford)

Its an interesting one all this newstart and cant get a job etc. Its a bit like people say they cant buy a house because of prices, there are houses, you will just have to move from where you live. Same with newstart, don't spend 70-80% of your newstart on rent, move out from the city more to where rent is cheaper if it is such a struggle.

But people don't want to move or live in a smaller house etc. They want to live where they have grown up or better but expect it to come cheap or affordable. My parents grew up in Northcote, when they got married they couldn't afford a house in Northcote so they built a house in Eltham. They had kids and when we were old enough to buy a house, we couldn't afford a house in Eltham so we brought another 20mins away from the city. You have to live in what you can afford or where you can afford.

My missus is the perfect example, she bought a house, had 2 kids and then separated. Couldn't afford the house she was in so sold up, and bought something much less and nowhere near as good. Survived for a few years on single mum pension and some cash jobs but survived (without any help from her ex in the way of child support etc). She brought what she could afford (barely, but could afford)
I grew up around Doncaster but ain't no damn way I can afford a house there...so I'm 40km away waaaah.
You're right though. I have a friend who complains constantly about not being able to afford anywhere to live but he will only live in Moonee Ponds or Essendon so there's ya problem mate.

That they are meeting the requirements of their job provider so they don’t lose their benefits and that could be for lots of reasons other than not wanting to work.

Employment agencies play a role in this systematic rorting - they don’t even confirm if their client has attended the interview. In the last month I’ve had two workers tell me they found their own jobs and had an “employment mentor” email me to thank me for employing her client and did I know of any other Indigenous organisations that could help with finding work for her clients - ummmm honey, that’s what you get paid to do

I'd be one of the three turning up...having a great 90 minute interview and then getting the thanks but no thanks * YOU CRAIGOS GIVE ME THE JOB!!!!!

I grew up around Doncaster but ain't no damn way I can afford a house there...so I'm 40km away waaaah.
You're right though. I have a friend who complains constantly about not being able to afford anywhere to live but he will only live in Moonee Ponds or Essendon so there's ya problem mate.

Its like going to a fancy restaurant and only expecting to pay McDonalds prices for a meal, aint gonna happen.

That they are meeting the requirements of their job provider so they don’t lose their benefits and that could be for lots of reasons other than not wanting to work.

Employment agencies play a role in this systematic rorting - they don’t even confirm if their client has attended the interview. In the last month I’ve had two workers tell me they found their own jobs and had an “employment mentor” email me to thank me for employing her client and did I know of any other Indigenous organisations that could help with finding work for her clients - ummmm honey, that’s what you get paid to do
I get a lot of emails like "I see you have employed my client, would you like to receive the government grant?" and I'm like wtf they didn't even come through your service you dicknob.

I love this one. The assumption is that the issue is all about the person.

So if you are on new start which is $277 pw, how much should you spend on rent. Let's say half so you can afford bills, food, clothes and transport (hah)
$137pw

For that you are going to need another person or two to split a 2 or 3 bedroom place with, best bet would be a couple in a two bedder, you might get away with that, 50kms out of town.

So now you're living where public transport is almost non existent, and there aren't any jobs. You can't afford a car out of that other $137 so good luck getting to interviews and a job.

With housing
We bought a s**t old house 40kms from town 5 years ago, 3 months after we bought prices where we were had gone up by 25%, we wouldn't have been able to buy in that market, we were lucky to get in. We'd looked further out, I had to be able to get to the city for work, we looked at places that were past the end of the train line but anywhere within half an hour was priced almost the same as the suburb where the train line ended.

When the prices are going up quicker than you can save, and rent keeps going up good luck breaking into the market. Move further out is great but there is only so far you can travel to get to your job before it starts to impact you, not everyone can choose to work closer to where they live.

Then there is the fact that there is no infrastructure where a lot of these so called cheaper houses are. So you got no school, no supermarket, no hospital etc within 30+ minutes of where you live, and you're two hours from work so there goes 4 hours a day just in transport on top of your job, good luck if you have to get the kids to school and get to work.

Sure there are going to be people that want it all, that's nothing new or specific to the current crop of people trying to break into the property market or job market but there are legitimate issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back