Geelong - never going out of premiership contention?

Remove this Banner Ad

The past few years, before this year, champ
In previous years we'd either get dominated out of the middle or have more of the I50s, but have the lowest conversion in the league. Our D50 efforts saved us from a lot of games last year. We're kicking winning scores this year so im less concerned.

The past few years, before this year, champ
2016/17 Geelong made the prelim. So that puts them right up there I would think.

Once you become a 'destination club' if you are smart you can leverage that as an advantage.

Going from the bottom of the ladder to the top is harder than just staying around the top. Dalhaus, Rohan, Dangerfield etc wouldn't have gone there without an existing culture of success.

Once you become a 'destination club' if you are smart you can leverage that as an advantage.

Going from the bottom of the ladder to the top is harder than just staying around the top. Dalhaus, Rohan, Dangerfield etc wouldn't have gone there without an existing culture of success.
All 3 are from the greater Geelong region so were probably destined to come back anyway. Geelong purposefully targets these types and has a lot of success with it.

Its got me stuffed how the mods let you flaunt this alias King cold, especially with that bull **** 'Team supported'. It's sickening and quite frankly, embarrassing.

I'm not sure who that is but he/she has obviously done a number on you in the past.

I am born and bred in the western suburbs of Sydney, and I couldn't imagine supporting another club to be honest.

Hard to see it given their home ground advantage.
Cherry picking from the Falcons also helps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruhn, Henry, Lazzaro and Fleeton were all the Falcons drafted last year. Guess how many we got?
Last Falcon recruited by Cats who has played a Senior game is Gryan Miers, pick 57 in the 2017 Draft. Geelong really does get an armchair ride with Falcons at the Draft

Scott out, Clarko in. I hear already they are talking with Shaun Burgoyne, Eddie Betts, Nathan Jones and Daniel Talia.

Last Falcon recruited by Cats who has played a Senior game is Gryan Miers, pick 57 in the 2017 Draft. Geelong really does get an armchair ride with Falcons at the Draft

Do you know how many ex Falcons you have on your list in total...irrespective of whether they were drafted initially or traded for?

Don't get me wrong, targeting country / Geelong region kids at other clubs is ok from my end. You play the hand you're dealt. Well managed club.

Do you know how many ex Falcons you have on your list in total...irrespective of whether they were drafted initially or traded for?

Don't get me wrong, targeting country / Geelong region kids at other clubs is ok from my end. You play the hand you're dealt. Well managed club.
How many Vic metro kids you got on yours?

A few, indeed. https://www.draftguru.com.au/from/geelong_falcons

But the point I made in the earlier post is that you cannot say we have been "Cherry picking from the Falcons" at the National Draft as implied. I wish we could, but the system doesn't work that way. For every ex Falcon on our current list (many of who were recruited as RFA or FA), there would be more on lists of other clubs, e.g. Sam Walsh (Pick 1), Tanner Bruhn (12), Ollie Henry (17), Tom McCartin (33), Matt Ling (14), James Worpel (44), Sean Darcy (38), Darcy Parish (5), Tom Doedee (17), Charlie Curnow (12), etc.

But the point I made in the earlier post is that you cannot say we have been "Cherry picking from the Falcons" at the National Draft as implied. I wish we could, but the system doesn't work that way. For every ex Falcon on our current list (many of who were recruited as RFA or FA), there would be more on lists of other clubs, e.g. Sam Walsh (Pick 1), Tanner Bruhn (12), Ollie Henry (17), Tom McCartin (33), Matt Ling (14), James Worpel (44), Sean Darcy (38), Darcy Parish (5), Tom Doedee (17), Charlie Curnow (12), etc.
Nah, it would be game over for half the Melbourne teams if Geelong had the Falcons as exclusive feeders. Simply the best footy factory in the country.

Cheers. I certainly don't think the Cats cherry pick...as you state, thr system just does not allow that to happen. I do think the club targets players from the area to return after years away. Which I said earlier, is good business practice. Is it more than other Vic clubs targeting other Vic's, no idea. The perception is that it is but that's not based on anything factual.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back