Preview Round 9, 2019: Collingwood v St.Kilda - MCG, Saturday 18th May, 1:45PM AEST *Bruce 100th, Savage 150th, Young debut*

Who Wins?

• Magpies

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 17 25.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To all the selectors on here who comes out & why to accommodate for Hind,White & Marsh our backline has been our positive for the year.

Webster, Brown and Dmac. That's pretty easy. Webster and Dmac have been poor and Brown's not required against Coll if Cox doesn't play.

Webster, Brown and Dmac. That's pretty easy. Webster and Dmac have been poor and Brown's not required against Coll if Cox doesn't play.
I'll disagree Webster & DMac have been fine, DMac 1 of the most improved players on the list & Webster has got credits ,Brown stays in for his leadership otherwise we are very thin down back as was found out against GWS you need someone down there directing traffic.

Like i said our backline has been a positive if there is any issues it's midfeld & forwards.

Respect your opinion though.

I'll disagree Webster & DMac have been fine, DMac 1 of the most improved players on the list & Webster has got credits ,Brown stays in for his leadership otherwise we are very thin down back as was found out against GWS you need someone down there directing traffic.

Like i said our backline has been a positive if there is any issues it's midfeld & forwards.

Respect your opinion though.

I think White needs to play seniors. He's too good for Sandy. I hope we swap him for DMAC.
I see your point on Brown re.experience in the backline.
Webster out only if he's sore and needs a rest.

Don't see any way DMac gets dropped. If White comes in then it's for Paton in my opinion. Or for Long and swing someone forward.
Why would you dump Paton , he has been quiet good IMO , Sincs to go before Paton

Like your views generally Mr Kernel and being slow in mind and direction i may have missed out on the joke!
So please forgive if you were! But.......

We would have to be taking the piss comparing Sinclair for even 5 mins of any game of football as a
MORE Creative version of Gary Ablett!
Haha, you know me mate, I love a bit of mayo on everything.

I was semi serious in that; some of the things I watch Jack do in games are outside the capabilities and vision of most players, if he gets 20+ touches we are in most games because he brings other players into the game.

Unfortunately he hasn't quite established that consistency yet, possibly partly due to positional changes etc but I do like that he is tackling a lot more this year, as the good users of footy still need to crack in with pressure.

Paton has been better than Dmac. One is calm and composed and one isn't.
DMac is hard and takes intercept marks. Like Paton but he isn't a hard-nosed defender just yet. I fact his softness directly cost us a goal last week.

Don't see any way DMac gets dropped. If White comes in then it's for Paton in my opinion. Or for Long and swing someone forward.
Paton for White may happen but Long for White would not be as straightforward. I don't believe that any of our current defenders offer great value in the forwardline, so most likely it would be Newnes into the forward line and maybe Paton onto the wing OR Paton makes way for White and Long gets dropped for Clark (Newnes goes forward and Clark goes into the midfield rotations). Young could also come in for Long but he has not been setting the world on fire (hope the sponsors curse has not claimed him)
I also would not be surprised if we make no changes this week. Will make for some entertaining reading if that happens

Haha, you know me mate, I love a bit of mayo on everything.

I was semi serious in that; some of the things I watch Jack do in games are outside the capabilities and vision of most players, if he gets 20+ touches we are in most games because he brings other players into the game.

Unfortunately he hasn't quite established that consistency yet, possibly partly due to positional changes etc but I do like that he is tackling a lot more this year, as the good users of footy still need to crack in with pressure.
Stats don't always show what a player does , Sinclair had at least 3 smothers that created turnovers on the weekend where if he hadn't of done it we would of been in a world of hurt.

However if we have something better try it but I feel he is doing his role.

You will also see Sinclair is used up and down the field trying to cover any loose players, this is why you often see him chasing guys in the back line, - his GPS would show he does a lot of kms - in our top 5 at least.

Can't see him being dropped this week because he will be covering guys like Sidebottom , Treleor etc as they run through the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought thats what you may have been getting at the one was a top ten pick and one a rookie , that is no consequence thought , you cant say its unfair for sincs to play on him as thats where he has been selected to play for at least the last 3-4 weeks ( i didnt check back further )
I was showing the difference between the class of their mids compared with ours thats all
Yeah, all good.
It was just that the first post was kind of saying because his stats don't compare to Treloar's, let's drop him which I thought was a bit harsh. If we're going to compare stats of players in similar positions I think it's a bit more fair to line him up against our top 5 pick in JB. If we had a guy to replace Sincs with that WOULD compare favourably with Treloar's stats, bring them in for sure. Don't think we do though - Armo?!

I'd be interested to see Treloar's heat map, starting positions don't mean all that much once the game gets underway. I imagine him as more of an on-baller than Sincs but with Pendlebury, Beams and co in there I guess he could be playing a fair bit of wing like Sincs.
From what I've seen of Collingwood, I thought Josh Thomas might be a more similar player to Sincs (but I've only been watching bits and pieces of the Pies games) and Sincs' stats do match up pretty well there.

I thought thats what you may have been getting at the one was a top ten pick and one a rookie , that is no consequence thought , you cant say its unfair for sincs to play on him as thats where he has been selected to play for at least the last 3-4 weeks ( i didnt check back further )
I was showing the difference between the class of their mids compared with ours thats all
The comparison is unfair because Treloar spends most of his time playing on the ball. Sinclair has been spending most of his time in the forward line with small stints in the midfield. Him being named in the centre doesn't reflect where he has actually been played through the game.

Yeah, all good.
It was just that the first post was kind of saying because his stats don't compare to Treloar's, let's drop him which I thought was a bit harsh. If we're going to compare stats of players in similar positions I think it's a bit more fair to line him up against our top 5 pick in JB. If we had a guy to replace Sincs with that WOULD compare favourably with Treloar's stats, bring them in for sure. Don't think we do though - Armo?!

I'd be interested to see Treloar's heat map, starting positions don't mean all that much once the game gets underway. I imagine him as more of an on-baller than Sincs but with Pendlebury, Beams and co in there I guess he could be playing a fair bit of wing like Sincs.
From what I've seen of Collingwood, I thought Josh Thomas might be a more similar player to Sincs (but I've only been watching bits and pieces of the Pies games) and Sincs' stats do match up pretty well there.
I do get what your saying but it doesn't matter what number you go in the draft you don't get to pick and choose who you get to play on just because someone went higher or lower in the draft than you , Thomas is more your half forward who rarely starts in the middle , IMO id be giving Paton a crack in sincs position ATM as he is down on form and Paton is on the up

To all the selectors on here who comes out & why to accommodate for Hind,White & Marsh our backline has been our positive for the year.
Obviously you haven't been paying attention. Dmac and Paton will go forward with Longy and Parker given a rest.
Marshall was quiet so he'll be dropped and Bruce will ruck full time with Battle taking his spot at FF.
As you say our defenders are performing, so if they all go forward we'll kick more goals and be a better chance to win.
You know it makes sense....

Do you have the stats on how many centre bounces each player has started in?

They seem like they play very different roles to me.
Nah i dont have that stat , i can say that Jack has been named as a follower on the team sheet 5 times this year so id guess he has had his fair share of time at centre bounces , as i said guessing and if he starts there again this week will need to contend with someone of Treloar's ability , im not saying he never plays again by any stretch but we seem reluctant to give other guys a go , who is to say Paton cant play that role better than Sincs

Nah i dont have that stat , i can say that Jack has been named as a follower on the team sheet 5 times this year so id guess he has had his fair share of time at centre bounces , as i said guessing and if he starts there again this week will need to contend with someone of Treloar's ability , im not saying he never plays again by any stretch but we seem reluctant to give other guys a go , who is to say Paton cant play that role better than Sincs

Sinclair plays mostly forward. Doesn't really matter where he's named because he rarely attends centre bounces.

The team I’d like to see on the weekend. Play slingshot footy using our pace back into the forward line. Wingers to play deep defensively, half forward to play high. Brown over Marsh for leadership.

White Brown Webster
Savage Battle Wilkie
Hind Steele Billings
Newnes Membery Long
Kent Bruce Parker

Marshal Ross Gresh

Dunstan Acres DMac Sinclair

Wrong. JJK would have kicked 7 last week if Brown wasn't playing.

DMac has been good. Certainly not our worst. He's just the new whipping boy.

Webster's been fine too. Just not getting the space he used too. Savs getting it instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back