hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Losing Mrouch is a body blow imo. He is a contested beast. Considering Port smashed us even while he was on the ground, its a worry.

Lions have now an advantage in the midfield.
He wasn't on the ground much, so it's not a huge concern. Port also had a big advantage on ruck that Brisbane won't have.

Obviously we want him in the side but we can cover him.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Matt Crouch out this week is as significant as Luke Brown in last week.
Crouch played less than a half last week, we made ground on Port when he was off.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
The more I think about it the more I want to see McHenry come in for Knight.

Think about both their strengths; Elite running capacity, elite tackle pressure, above average goal sense. Very similar!

Knight has Ned for physical strength, but McHenrys form in the last 2 weeks at SANFL level has been scintillating.

And if not now, when? Seed, Milera, Douglas and Matt Crouch coming back in as early as next week, these decisions aren’t gonna get any easier!

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Port have no key defender depth. It will someone like a 188cm Grundy or McKenzie lining up on him in the SANFl. With Douglas, Seeds and maybe Gibbs in the SANFL this week I expect Jenkins to have a day out at Alberton.
Do i hear first round pick.

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
He's an excellent player when he's up and about. Good disposal, covers a lot of ground, decent goal sense, etc.

The issue with him is he still pulls out an absolutely shitful game once every four or five weeks, where he gets 10 disposals at a poor DE.

Not sure if he struggles with his recovery at times or if it's between the ears. Similar to Bernie IMO.

Our wingmen are a critical part of our defence when we are playing well. Their role, whenever possible, is to be on the defensive side of the ball when it is in the opposition’s front half. It is easy to observe at stoppages in our D50. They should be boundary side and act as an outlet from our defence. The Rat’s left foot makes him particularly important. He has plenty of deficiencies but gets little praise for usually being in the right place at the right time.

When we have the ball in our F50 our wingmen on the thin side are located on the defensive side near the boundary. It is no coincidence that The Rat kicks quite a few goals from handball receives on the boundary line.

Bran Nue Mackae’s positioning is reasonably good when playing on the wing, The Seed is better and is also able to hurt the opposition more when he has the ball in hand.

Against the Pear we mainly used Riley Knight on the wing when Atkins or Mackay were resting although we did give Brodie Smith one short burst.

Prior to his injury we gave Chayce Jones significant game time on the wing. IMHO if both The Seed and The Rat are fit and firing then BNM, Knight, Jones and McHenry are fighting for the high half forward role with short stints on the wing.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
If we're making predictions for the season, no, I'm not predicting us to win this year, but I'm certainly not writing us off. And I wouldn't expect any club in our situation to write it off from where we are after round 8.

Find ways of getting some games into these guys? Yes. Every year. Make it a priority, because we don't think we can win the flag this year? No.

You dont think we have done that

Jones was tried didnt show a great deal but enough to say he needs developing
Himmelberg
Pohlkoke
Murphy
Gooch
ROB

thats a fair injection of youth in anyones language, isnt it ? for a team as Kane McGoodwin thinks is a challenger

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Our wingmen are a critical part of our defence when we are playing well. Their role, whenever possible, is to be on the defensive side of the ball when it is in the opposition’s front half. It is easy to observe at stoppages in our D50. They should be boundary side and act as an outlet from our defence. The Rat’s left foot makes him particularly important. He has plenty of deficiencies but gets little praise for usually being in the right place at the right time.

When we have the ball in our F50 our wingmen on the thin side are located on the defensive side near the boundary. It is no coincidence that The Rat kicks quite a few goals from handball receives on the boundary line.

Bran Nue Mackae’s positioning is reasonably good when playing on the wing, The Seed is better and is also able to hurt the opposition more when he has the ball in hand.

Against the Pear we mainly used Riley Knight on the wing when Atkins or Mackay were resting although we did give Brodie Smith one short burst.

Prior to his injury we gave Chayce Jones significant game time on the wing. IMHO if both The Seed and The Rat are fit and firing then BNM, Knight, Jones and McHenry are fighting for the high half forward role with short stints on the wing.

Tredders wasn't overly complimentary of Seeds, probably saw him as a Collingwood reject, I don't mind him but very overrated by this board

Mackay has a far better ability to run both ways and is definetly a lot harder at it than seeds or rat, that simply cant be argued his willingness to hit the contest and bloody hard is unmatched except for Sloane, But Mackay is also so so, he just has different attributes to Seeds, Mackay would be missed if he wasn't there, no one runs that hard

Jones and Mchenry need to develop which generally 95% of first year players need in the SANFL or AFL is up to the coaches if we are challenging it will be in the SANFL if we are not then it can be in the AFL like the power are doing as they are not challenging

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Why are people saying Mrouch is out just because he's running laps?
If players aren't training properly two days out from a game I'd think they would be out

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just watched the Showdown again and

1) It was much more fun watching the game with the knowledge that we wouldn’t blow an 8 goal lead.
2) Atkins played very well. His positioning as the link man out of defence was excellent.
3) Mackay also played a good game. Atkins and Mackay’s positions on the wing are safe until The Seed returns.
4) The stats don’t adequately describe the contributions of ROB and The Berg. Safe as houses.
5) Hartigan and Kelly have improved dramatically in recent weeks (but still stress me out when they chip the ball). They stay for now but Kelly will be under pressure when The Wayne returns.
6) CEY is going nowhere.
7) Riley Knight spent time on the wing when The Rat and BNM were resting. He play the role well and provided good pressure plus two goals as a forward. I will be very surprised if he is dropped.
8) I wouldn’t complain if Eddie is given a week off but he still did some handy things. He might want to check out Charlie’s progress and demonstrate that he is still the Man.
9) Murphy has been getting better and better, the Kids in the Twos will have to wait.

So.... if Mrouch is good to go then IMHO the only player under pressure is Gallucci. I would not drop him to bring back Gibbsy. He is showing flashes but has to do more. Possibly swap him for Jones or McHenry but I suspect they will get their chance when inevitably more injuries arise.

No Changes
Nice write up

Brown_DOG68

All Australian
Jun 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Cincinnati Reds
Tredders wasn't overly complimentary of Seeds, probably saw him as a Collingwood reject, I don't mind him but very overrated by this board

Mackay has a far better ability to run both ways and is definetly a lot harder at it than seeds or rat, that simply cant be argued his willingness to hit the contest and bloody hard is unmatched except for Sloane, But Mackay is also so so, he just has different attributes to Seeds, Mackay would be missed if he wasn't there, no one runs that hard

Jones and Mchenry need to develop which generally 95% of first year players need in the SANFL or AFL is up to the coaches if we are challenging it will be in the SANFL if we are not then it can be in the AFL like the power are doing as they are not challenging

Just when i thought you couldn't possibly post anything more idiotic, you go and outdo yourself. Well done.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just when i thought you couldn't possibly post anything more idiotic, you go and outdo yourself. Well done.

Seriously all this crap about Mackay being soft is so far off the mark its not funny

The guy isnt that good but far out he puts himself and his body in more so than the other outside mids

To say he doesnt is idiotic

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
You expect the better team to separate in the 3rd quarter of a showdown. 1st quarters are a slugfest, and Matt was unreal during that time!
Oh I agree, but we aren't exactly light on for inside mids are we.

Someone compared him to Brown, who is basically our only quality small defender.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Seriously all this crap about Mackay being soft is so far off the mark its not funny

The guy isnt that good but far out he puts himself and his body in more so than the other outside mids

To say he doesnt is idiotic
You said he was better than Seedsman..... that is idiotic

Back