Strategy I'm the guy who tried to run for the board, ask me anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Understand what you are saying but one point is wrong. Whether we like it or not this is a democratic process because the members voted to allow this nominations committee to be established. We now have to cop this sort of thing because we allowed it to happen. Lack of interest despite much discussion at the time allowed the club to push this change through.

Given the way these nominations have been run elsewhere, it would have been hard for members to predict that this is how it would be used. Not like they were completely transparent about using it to wipe away competition prior to election.

Given the way these nominations have been run elsewhere, it would have been hard for members to predict that this is how it would be used. Not like they were completely transparent about using it to wipe away competition prior to election.
Not so - this was well canvassed at the time - I put it down to apathy. We had our chance to block this and we were warned of the risks. But not enough of us voted against it.

I know everyone is looking to vent, but aren’t all clubs run the same way? Why is this news?

Because Michael Warner will run any article that de Rauch asks him to. Every single article that is written about the things that PDR doesn't like is written by Warner.

I know everyone is looking to vent, but aren’t all clubs run the same way? Why is this news?

Because we're supposed to be better than other clubs. We're certainly never going to be the biggest, so we need to be smart. This isn't smart and isn't a good look. A "vetting panel" should have clear - public and written - parameters outlining what is and is not appropriate in a board member. It should not be up to them to decide whether a person is the best qualified, that's the point of the election process. It is up to them to decide who is manifestly not appropriate.

Hi all

Reports of my demise have been exaggerated, but do have a bit on my plate.

For those wanting to know why I put my hand up, here's why.

I have spent most of my adult life in and around member-based organisations. They need a robust and engaged membership to thrive.

Elections are a crucial indicator of the health of such organisations.

My aim in running, was to give members an opportunity to pass judgement on how the club is being run.

Without picking on any individuals, some directors have been on for yonks without ever having to put their case to members.

The board has business and corporate types in spades. I am across balance sheets and formal meeting procedure and good governance and such, but I think often missed is the need for more diverse viewpoints.

I ran to try and inject a perspective that's a little more in tune with the people who actually fill the stands, pay their membership, and keep the whole show going.

If an election had occurred, and the members decided that they were happy to endorse the incumbents for another 3 year term, I would have been personally disappointed but would have been pleased that members had taken a direct interest in the affairs of the club.

Regardless of whether people would have supported me or not, the nominations committee and the conduct of the administration are both cause for great concern.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you ever receive formal notification with written reasons from the 'committee'?

I presume there was some sort of record taken of the meeting, surely their deliberations were guided by something more rigorous than a verbal briefing from Mr Nash?

Not that it makes any difference given that there's clearly no review mechanism but still, they did undertake to provide you something in writing.

No, I requested written reasons from the committee and received nothing. It was also a minor ordeal to get the returning officer to provide a copy of the independent nominations committee charter.

Also, per my letter, I met with only the chairman and have no evidence the committee ever convened.

Clearly the nominations process looks like it it has quite a few kinks that need to be ironed out, but good on you for giving it a go anyway.

Interested to hear what your vision for the club was and what you would have brought to the table?

Strategic plans to increase membership and our supporter base, sponsorship, how you think we could be better run and most importantly becoming a better football club on the field?

Position on selling games interstate would also be something many here would be interested in.

Because we're supposed to be better than other clubs. We're certainly never going to be the biggest, so we need to be smart. This isn't smart and isn't a good look. A "vetting panel" should have clear - public and written - parameters outlining what is and is not appropriate in a board member. It should not be up to them to decide whether a person is the best qualified, that's the point of the election process. It is up to them to decide who is manifestly not appropriate.
This.

Any vetting process should only check whether people are paid-up members, not bankrupt, etc. After that it's up to us.

No, I requested written reasons from the committee and received nothing. It was also a minor ordeal to get the returning officer to provide a copy of the independent nominations committee charter.

Also, per my letter, I met with only the chairman and have no evidence the committee ever convened.

Has the club contacted you since the article was published?

Clearly the nominations process looks like it it has quite a few kinks that need to be ironed out, but good on you for giving it a go anyway.

Interested to hear what your vision for the club was and what you would have brought to the table?

Strategic plans to increase membership and our supporter base, sponsorship, how you think we could be better run and most importantly becoming a better football club on the field?

Position on selling games interstate would also be something many here would be interested in.

I don't think a single person looking to be involved in the board should or needed to have had pre-planned answers to any or all of those things. They would firstly be there for their own skills and experience.

Doubt that any of the incumbents and recent past members had to prepare a dossier answering any of these questions. They'd have all been picked out for their skillsets and/or connections.

I don't think a single person looking to be involved in the board should or needed to have had pre-planned answers to any or all of those things. They would firstly be there for their own skills and experience.

Doubt that any of the incumbents and recent past members had to prepare a dossier answering any of these questions. They'd have all been picked out for their skillsets and/or connections.

If their was to be an election, they would have been expected to present their vision for the football club to the members to win the vote.

Also it is an “ask me anything” thread, so not unreasonable to ask.

Had any of the current board members been on here I would have asked them the same thing as to what they bring to the table and where they plan to take the club.

If their was to be an election, they would have been expected to present their vision for the football club to the members to win the vote.

Also it is an “ask me anything” thread, so not unreasonable to ask.

Had any of the current board members been on here I would have asked them the same thing as to what they bring to the table and where they plan to take the club.

Fair enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back