Status
Not open for further replies.

amofootyfan

Team Captain
Apr 23, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Last round against GWS Scrimshaw only took 2 marks for the game, but both marks were contested. This is one area of his game that I’ve been impressed with considering his lack of experience. He really is like a younger version of Birchall. Similar size too. Except Scrimshaw being a much better overhead mark.
To be fair, he was off after half time with a Migraine and blurred vision

Last round against GWS Scrimshaw only took 2 marks for the game, but both marks were contested. This is one area of his game that I’ve been impressed with considering his lack of experience. He really is like a younger version of Birchall. Similar size too. Except Scrimshaw being a much better overhead mark.

Correct weight. Birch could never mark one on one.

Speaking of which, will he ever return, or is it over for him?

KOLOKOTRONIS

burnside5

All Australian
May 23, 2010
Shoreham
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It would only be due to team balance. Remember the team is more important than the individual.

I guess so but with Nankervis out it would be handy to have both rucks rotate and hopefully smash them in the middle and give our mid's first use of the ball. I would find it hard to drop anyone from the side; maybe Morris for Smith or Wingard if they are fit?

I reckon you’se mob are the best contested marking team goin around, that and the way you stopped GWS coming through the centre is going to be a real challenge for us.
Nank doesn’t get alot of hitouts against McEvoy but out mids haven’t hardly played with Soldo (who is a large bugger) so hard to predict the contest but he’s going to struggle if he has to run with your Rucks.
Sounds pretty cliche but whoever gets to play the way they want for the longest is gonna win I reckon.
How do you guys rate Henderson?
Doesn’t seem to go and get the ball or tackle but is involved in a heap of scoring chains.

Best of luck, a good games a close game and I hope the umpires don’t sh.t me.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I reckon you’se mob are the best contested marking team goin around, that and the way you stopped GWS coming through the centre is going to be a real challenge for us.
Nank doesn’t get alot of hitouts against McEvoy but out mids haven’t hardly played with Soldo (who is a large bugger) so hard to predict the contest but he’s going to struggle if he has to run with your Rucks.
Sounds pretty cliche but whoever gets to play the way they want for the longest is gonna win I reckon.
How do you guys rate Henderson?
Doesn’t seem to go and get the ball or tackle but is involved in a heap of scoring chains.

Best of luck, a good games a close game and I hope the umpires don’t sh.t me.

Cheers mate.

Yeah our rucks will run all day, and hard.

Hendo leading the B n F at present. I know right.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ceglar will give us an advantage if he can be a viable forward as well. He has been horribly inconsistent as a forward because he doesn’t read the game like a forward. His athleticism gets him to co tests some of the time and I felt Davis gave him too much of a run at the ball. Will he get that against richmond’s Defence? I think he will play regardless but I don’t expect the same output as last week. This means he has to give us an edge in the midfield.

Sep 5, 2007
Gippsland, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nashville predators
If we do play both ruckman, which I expect we will based on the way they both played last week, we have to make the most of having the ruck dominance on the ground. Essentially, if we are playing 2 ruckman, then we simply have to win the clearances otherwise we might as well play Rough whos a better forward than both. The big Monkey has to get our rucks tapping it to our advantage and coming up with strategies that keep us winning the clearances all day.

Not holding out too much hope, but one can hope.

Hawthorn the best contested marking team going around?

lol. I would have thought Hawthorn are far from that. Anyone have the stats on contested marking teams?
0F4D6812-F48F-4945-AB97-25CF277C1EF7.jpeg

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Reframe the question: “Does playing both give an advantage to Hawthorn?” To me the answer is yes, when Ceglar plays with intensity, like last week. Regardless of the opponent.

i agree Cegs was awesome in the first and last quarter he brought that intensity.

it could also be a dis advantage if the ball goes to ground,
The question is do you play two 6'4 guys in the same fwd line, without wingard forward pressure has been one of our issues, richmond rebound out of the defence is up there with the best, our half fwd line must be switched on and two ray runners. I Wouldn't be surprised to see smith come in for moore and play hff with Impey you could really shut them down

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
i agree Cegs was awesome in the first and last quarter he brought that intensity.

it could also be a dis advantage if the ball goes to ground,
The question is do you play two 6'4 guys in the same fwd line, without wingard forward pressure has been one of our issues, richmond rebound out of the defence is up there with the best, our half fwd line must be switched on and two ray runners. I Wouldn't be surprised to see smith come in for moore and play hff with Impey you could really shut them down
Wingard forward pressure? Yet to see much over his career. He is there to kick goals out of his arse, which he did frequently at Port. Agree only change will be Smith in for Moore. Chad back for Port next week.

Aug 11, 2013
Brisbane QLD
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Barcelona
Wingard forward pressure? Yet to see much over his career. He is there to kick goals out of his arse, which he did frequently at Port. Agree only change will be Smith in for Moore. Chad back for Port next week.
That is unfortunate. There won't be another Cyril. Will just have keep watching Cyril's highlights!🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back