Preview Pick 6, 2019 Draft: Who Do AFC Target?

3 options:

• Noah Anderson

• Matt Rowell

• The Best SA Boy Available (please name in thread)

• Hamish Special (Please name in thread)

• Your Personal Favourite (Please name in thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
That feels like a passive strategy to me. I'd prefer we went out and got what we wanted.

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.
I know where you are coming from, but what if for example GWS desperately wanted pick 1 and were prepared to offer up their 2 x 1st round picks and Himmelberg. It would be really interesting to see what clubs would be prepared to offer to secure it if these 2 kids in Rowell and Anderson are really that good

Edit: GWS are actually a very interesting proposition as they have their academy graduate Green who is expected to go inside the top 5 - now if they had pick 1, they could take a Rowell or Anderson and then use later points to secure green - 2 super midfield recruits to compliment their already talent laden team. It would actually pay them to trade their 2 x 1sts and maybe extra to try and temp us if we get pick 1

Last edited:

Crows I Am

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2006
Adelaide S.A
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
Crows getting and using pick #1 in a draft is a bucket list item for me ... think it's very unlikely we would ever get another chance at pick #1.

Rowell looks good - his resale should probably hold pretty well at worst case.
The top few draft prospects must be pretty happy that they are no chance to go to Carlton this year. Would be pretty happy that they are a strong chance to go to either Adelaide or Sydney instead of regular cellar dwellars who would normally be around the top 3 pick range.

jo172

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 23, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio, Redbacks
The top few draft prospects must be pretty happy that they are no chance to go to Carlton this year. Would be pretty happy that they are a strong chance to go to either Adelaide or Sydney instead of regular cellar dwellars who would normally be around the top 3 pick range.

Indeed, imagine being the number one pick and there being a realistic chance of playing finals in your career.

lunacy

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I still don’t think we will get pick 1. Carlton look too competitive to get the wooden spoon. Take out that North game and they have been in every game and is some cases very winnable positions.

Any young team that can challenge Collingwood like that isn’t a typical 18th ranked side. GC losing last week really hurt. They could have gone 3 games clear of Carlton. It still might not have been enough considering Carlton’s decent percentage but it would have certainly helped.
Now GC are only 2 games clear of Carlton.
I fear Carlton will finally win a big game and then start to get on a role.

In the mean time we desperately need GC & Kangaroos to win as many as they can. Kangas face Sydney (without Buddy) in Tassie this week. While GC face an injury plagued Port at AO. Are they any chance?

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I still don’t think we will get pick 1. Carlton look too competitive to get the wooden spoon. Take out that North game and they have been in every game and is some cases very winnable positions.

Any young team that can challenge Collingwood like that isn’t a typical 18th ranked side. GC losing last week really hurt. They could have gone 3 games clear of Carlton. It still might not have been enough considering Carlton’s decent percentage but it would have certainly helped.

In the mean time we desperately need GC & Kangaroos to win as many as they can. Kangas face Sydney (without Buddy) in Tassie this week. While GC face an injury plagued Port at AO. Are they any chance?
I have a feeling the Kangas will destroy Sydney this weekend in Tassie, they seem to love playing that oval (so much so that I think they should just bite the Bullet and become the Tassie Devils at some point). Its way more of a home field advantage then Marvel is too them!

GC with have to have everything go right, but its not outside the realms of possibility. Dew has them playing hard honest footy, and that's the kind of team that often proves to be Ports undoing, especially after the hype of the Showdown!

Fingers Crossed for that and a Big GWS win... And an even BIGGER Crows win!

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know where you are coming from, but what if for example GWS desperately wanted pick 1 and were prepared to offer up their 2 x 1st round picks and Himmelberg. It would be really interesting to see what clubs would be prepared to offer to secure it if these 2 kids in Rowell and Anderson are really that good

Edit: GWS are actually a very interesting proposition as they have their academy graduate Green who is expected to go inside the top 5 - now if they had pick 1, they could take a Rowell or Anderson and then use later points to secure green - 2 super midfield recruits to compliment their already talent laden team. It would actually pay them to trade their 2 x 1sts and maybe extra to try and temp us if we get pick 1
Sure, if GWS start drinking now then by the time trade week comes around they have lost their minds ... we should take advantage !!

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

40porpoise

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

I also am afraid of this but every week no matter how close they get they can’t find a way to win. The more close losses they have as well the more it will dent their belief and confidence

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think we will either.

I put Carlton down for 4 wins before the season started, and I think that might end up being about right. That will still be bottom 4 though ... and deliver the best pick we have ever had in our history
Whose else is going to get less than 4 wins?

How sweet is it that Rowell is a Carlton supporter?

Surprisingly, a very good selling point. You need to have some seriously loyalty to stick to Carlton after their last decade and a half, and all that "who you support" affinity dies the moment you are drafted by a club.

Especially when he has a better win rate then Boltons last 40 games at Carlton, he may be truly appreciative that the grass is not always greener.

Apr 1, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Kilkenny Cats, WWT Eagles
Going a bit early mate - Sweet if he has a long and productive AFC career full of Brownlows and Norm Smiths. Less sweet if he requests a trade after a couple years.

Rowell is a gun, and with every draft pick you back the club to retain the player.

If he did want out after 2 years it would come at a hefty price. The guns tend to go for two first rounders, at least one a very early one.

We trade the second of those picks for Carlton's first rounder, and head back to the draft with pick 1 & 2 ;-)

earlsta

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
76ers

This is from a week ago.
Holy ******* shitballs have a look at Rowell's acceleration at 0.13s haha! He goes off the screen.
Even at the start of the video have a look at that burst. Damn....
I don't think AFC will be trading pick 1, they'd be mad to.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rowell is a gun, and with every draft pick you back the club to retain the player.

If he did want out after 2 years it would come at a hefty price. The guns tend to go for two first rounders, at least one a very early one.

We trade the second of those picks for Carlton's first rounder, and head back to the draft with pick 1 & 2 ;-)
I think if we do end up with pick 1 or 2 and Hamish can't be convinced that Rowell or Anderson are truly ok with joining our club, we should trade our pick with the next lowest finish Vic club (aside from Bloos and probably North) for their first round pick and either their 2nd round this year or their round 1 pick next year.

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

Absolutely - agreed thats the approach to take. Just think its a bit premature to rub it in about him being a Carlton supporter.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Crows getting and using pick #1 in a draft is a bucket list item for me ... think it's very unlikely we would ever get another chance at pick #1.

Rowell looks good - his resale should probably hold pretty well at worst case.

Yep. This isn’t the year to get cute. Don’t think trading pick 1 for a player usually ends well. At least in terms of premierships. We need to face facts about the age profile of our list. We are in for short term pain as these top players like Sloane, Eddie, Tex, Talia, Lynch (and the already cooked ones like Sauce, Douglas etc) finish up. It’s the perfect time to grab a pick 1 and develop him in a good team rather than in a team that will get smashed every week like is typically the case.

I like the idea of Anderson cause he is more outside and tall. Feel elite inside players have less hurt factor than elite players that are slightly more outside, but Rowell does look like an absolute beauty too.

Back