• Hardwick

• Schofield

• Buckley

• Montgomery

• Other

• Carr

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

All I'm saying is that Adelaide should be a very attractive destination for an AFL coach. Great place to live, very good schools (free tuition, say no more), the media are marshmallows, both clubs have very slick boards and pay well, you get interstate media every second week and the players like being here. There are very few genuine negatives to coaching in Adelaide.
I get what you mean but if they had a choice, Vic wins hands down, if it's their home state.

One guy I would love to see get an opportunity but I don’t think he is the right fit for us is Brett Ratton always thought he was hard done by at Carlton and I believe he is assistant under Clarko at the moment or was anyway And we have seen what clarkos assistants have done at other clubs when they get an opportunity

But in reality we all know our next coach will be Michael Voss or Alan Richardson

The version I heard about knocking back Chris Scott was he wanted to sack all the assistants and bring in his own crew. Port couldn't afford that so went with Primus.

Scott would have been as hamstrung as Primus when it came to the playing list and resources. We probably would have broken him then too. Now he would have much more autonomy.

I think our next coach will be Monty. Ken will go next year, and Schofield will want more years as an assistant. I think the timing may just be out for Schofield.

Which is a big shame. He'll be our next clarkson

Just out of interest what has Schofield down to warrant such support?

Not for or against, just actually wondering.

His record in the WAFL speaks for itself. And our midfield has been pretty good this year as well.

Normally when you are on the outside you rate line coaches based on how players are performing.

Boak, Rockliff and SPP are in my top 3 in the POTY voting. Boak in the running for the Brownlow, Trengove for Magarey.

Peter Ladhams (under Brogan) has improved massively.

Our forward line is the shits.

Our backline is probably worse than last year.

The version I heard about knocking back Chris Scott was he wanted to sack all the assistants and bring in his own crew. Port couldn't afford that so went with Primus.

Scott would have been as hamstrung as Primus when it came to the playing list and resources. We probably would have broken him then too. Now he would have much more autonomy.
2011 Port coaching gig was almost the definition of poisoned chalice

Wouldn't be surprised if Laidley's computer crashed from getting some sort of Skype virus

Normally when you are on the outside you rate line coaches based on how players are performing.

Boak, Rockliff and SPP are in my top 3 in the POTY voting. Boak in the running for the Brownlow, Trengove for Magarey.

Agree totally. CD was in his ear over 2 years ago. Let's hope head coach was/is in the discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has runs on the board in an inferior league - so does Bassett. Plenty of VFL/SANFL/WAFL coaches don’t translate to higher success, same with line coaches.

The consistency of the midfield has been excellent, regularly matching contested possessions, clearances, one percenters, etc. Boak and Rocky have returned to past form from years gone by. Drew and Amon were initially in great form. Ryder and Lycett’s impact has been substantial. SANFL similar.

I would say the backline has been great considering it’s experience level. The forward line is achieving everything bar kicking goals. It’s locked the ball in brilliantly. Rarely do teams transition from back 50 to a shot on goal. We are creating chances but not capitalising. We also have no CHF, an young key forward, no Robbie Gray, etc, etc. Ebert has played well as a forward, Rozee has been good. To me this suggests our other line coaches are actually doing well also.

I’ve liked Schofield’s chats with the media and the rumour that he found Ken and the players all a bit chummy and gave honest feedback.

Just not sure there is much yet to say he will make the transition to head coach successfully. Or that Bassett, Voss, etc wouldn’t also be good.

He has runs on the board in an inferior league - so does Bassett. Plenty of VFL/SANFL/WAFL coaches don’t translate to higher success, same with line coaches.

The consistency of the midfield has been excellent, regularly matching contested possessions, clearances, one percenters, etc. Boak and Rocky have returned to past form from years gone by. Drew and Amon were initially in great form. Ryder and Lycett’s impact has been substantial. SANFL similar.

I would say the backline has been great considering it’s experience level. The forward line is achieving everything bar kicking goals. It’s locked the ball in brilliantly. Rarely do teams transition from back 50 to a shot on goal. We are creating chances but not capitalising. We also have no CHF, an young key forward, no Robbie Gray, etc, etc. Ebert has played well as a forward, Rozee has been good. To me this suggests our other line coaches are actually doing well also.

I’ve liked Schofield’s chats with the media and the rumour that he found Ken and the players all a bit chummy and gave honest feedback.

Just not sure there is much yet to say he will make the transition to head coach successfully. Or that Bassett, Voss, etc wouldn’t also be good.
I know of Schofields success in the WAFL but unaware of his game style. I do know from seeing several Norwood games under Bassett that it's an awful brand of football to watch.

Agree RossFC would be the worst style to watch, would be worse than ross lyon

Is montgomery a realistic chance? seems to always be overlooked but when he talks it makes sense.

Either way im happy to have Schoey or Monty take the reins and the sooner the better

2011 Port coaching gig was almost the definition of poisoned chalice

Wouldn't be surprised if Laidley's computer crashed from getting some sort of Skype virus

Primus wasn't a senior coach but he had the most thankless job going. He made the hard decisions to push through young players and see how they coped. He put a few noses out of joint and broke a few long-standing friendships.

I'm glad he has made some sort of peace with the club.

Backlines of teams are the area most affected by the new 6-6-6 rules. Our back line only looked so good under Bassett as it was overloaded. We still overload it, but can't at centre bounces, so we're playing more mids and there's that time for them to get back (if required).

Otherwise agreed that mid's and rucks are up, forwards are poor and Hinkley and Voss (as senior assistant), still go back to the short, shorter!, SHORTEST!!, bomb it in as not enough tall targets as option 1 whenever anything other than perfect circumstances occur.

Promoting assistant coaches to senior coaches from within is very uncommon in AFL football. If you don't count the succession plans with Buckley, Cameron, Goodwin and Longmire, Primus is the only senior coach in the last 12 years to be promoted from within (and that was only because of our perilous financial position at the time). It's basically not even a thing these days for a failed coaching regime to produce a new senior coach from within itself.

Promoting assistant coaches to senior coaches from within is very uncommon in AFL football. If you don't count the succession plans with Buckley, Cameron, Goodwin and Longmire, Primus is the only senior coach in the last 12 years to be promoted from within (and that was only because of our perilous financial position at the time). It's basically not even a thing these days for a failed coaching regime to produce a new senior coach from within itself.

You didn't get the memo about the Schofield succession plan?

God I'm sick of this 'aww gee Primus wasn't a good coach but at least he pushed through the young blokes' narrative. Look at how many games the likes of Matt Thomas, Tom Logan, Brett Ebert and Paul Stewart were given during his tenure and then tell me more about all the young blokes he played.

That's a little contradictory though, isn't it? You could easily claim that Cameron and Goodwin in particular are key cases of promoting an assistant to senior coach from a failed coaching regime.

Buckley was the only real succession plan - ie where it was announced well in advance that he WOULD be next senior coach. That wasn't the case with Cameron, Longmire or Primus. There was strong talk about Goodwin taking over but that was never a formal announcement like with Buckley.

God I'm sick of this 'aww gee Primus wasn't a good coach but at least he pushed through the young blokes' narrative. Look at how many games the likes of Matt Thomas, Tom Logan, Brett Ebert and Paul Stewart were given during his tenure and then tell me more about all the young blokes he played.
When the options were players like Danny Butcher, Mitch Curnow, Cam Hitchcock, Jarrad Irons, et al. it's pretty easy to see how your aforementioned were best 22 locks.

There were plenty of players rotated through the squad but playing your entire rookie list over - at the very least mildly competent - mature-aged AFL players is clearly not beneficial to player development.

That's a little contradictory though, isn't it? You could easily claim that Cameron and Goodwin in particular are key cases of promoting an assistant to senior coach from a failed coaching regime.

Buckley was the only real succession plan - ie where it was announced well in advance that he WOULD be next senior coach. That wasn't the case with Cameron, Longmire or Primus. There was strong talk about Goodwin taking over but that was never a formal announcement like with Buckley.

Sheedy only ever planned to coach at GWS for a year or two before handing over. Originally it was going to be a handover to Choco but it ended up being Cameron. In fact, Cameron knocked back the Port job to take the succession plan at GWS.

Roos started coaching Melbourne on the condition that there would be a succession plan after either 2 or 3 years. Goodwin was anointed as Roos' successor after about a year IIRC.

Longmire was more informal but it was also a very successful club and a bloodless handover.

None of this is happening at Port. It's also important to note that in all 4 succession plans (including Buckley), it was a premiership coach handing over to a mentored assistant. Ken is not a premiership coach - he's just a garden variety failed coach.

Back