No Oppo Supporters 2019 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just a highlights-fest. Good to see which teenagers are running around the nation with enormous talent, but in terms of serving as an indicator of carving out a likely solid-at-least AFL career, these junior leagues serve little purpose.

When I watch them, I'm not looking for the amazing contested mark (ie the King twins) or the supposedly elite kick (ie Lukosius) or the mercurial types (ie Rankine). I'm looking for the kids who look like they belong in traffic, who show good footy smarts, and who show a toughness to put the ball before themselves. They are attributes that are more likely to translate well from junior leagues to the highest level, because they're inherent traits that can't be coached or developed or drilled. You either have them or you don't. That's what led me to rate Worpel very highly in 2017, and Rowbottom very highly last year, and on both occasions when I'd mention their names I was accused of "reaching" from the so-called 'draft experts.'

Look at me ranting again here, just can't stand the draft at times lol
Hi there.
i agree with a lot you have written.My son is currently playing NAB league.Generally they focus on the boys who have stood out from a young age and made state sides early on.If you are injured they just forget about you unless you are one of these well known kids.The coaches are only interested in the few kids that might get drafted really.my son said to me."dad the coaches arent invested in me.they dont rate me.they focus on the private school boys and the highly rated."his self esteem and confidence that he had as a junior has been eroded by these "development" leagues.he had groin injuries the last couple seasons and the club physio and coaches didnt help him at all with his rehab.we had to get a private physio to help.all this was due to overtraining in the clubs pre season.mostly the league focuses on what the boys dont do well than what they do do well.its all a numberd game really and the only losers are the boys a lot of whom come out of the system with less belief and confidence to when they went in.thats my rant.over and out

Hi there.
i agree with a lot you have written.My son is currently playing NAB league.Generally they focus on the boys who have stood out from a young age and made state sides early on.If you are injured they just forget about you unless you are one of these well known kids.The coaches are only interested in the few kids that might get drafted really.my son said to me."dad the coaches arent invested in me.they dont rate me.they focus on the private school boys and the highly rated."his self esteem and confidence that he had as a junior has been eroded by these "development" leagues.he had groin injuries the last couple seasons and the club physio and coaches didnt help him at all with his rehab.we had to get a private physio to help.all this was due to overtraining in the clubs pre season.mostly the league focuses on what the boys dont do well than what they do do well.its all a numberd game really and the only losers are the boys a lot of whom come out of the system with less belief and confidence to when they went in.thats my rant.over and out
So true and for quite a few years in the role I was in I had to look at these kids that were passed over and then return to their own clubs. They build them up and spit them out and don't give a stuff . The private boys are looked after like nothing else.

Hi there.

A really sobering story mm Really hope and trust your lad will find many other things in life beyond footy.

The kids seems little better treated than sheep on container ships

Hi there.

Sorry to hear that, it does seem like the league isn’t as “grassroots” as it likes to think it is. Hope everything works out okay for you and your son and props for your honesty.

I remember footy when I was a kid was fun... It seems more & more I hear how "un-fun" it is becoming at the "grassroots" levels. That's so sad... The first & most important aspect of any game is you play it because you enjoy it I reckon. Everything else is a lower priority.

Offensive ! I find that comment offensive . Night games in Melbourne , we had plenty on a Tuesday night with the night series played at the Lake Oval. Wet days at the Lake , days at Vic Park , Windy Hill etc you wouldn't cope . My Grandmother , Mother went to every South game , no matter where it was.
Why do we brag about so many members when they don't go and by the way Aussie Rules is a Winter sport !
So true. Brought back a few memories with that

Offensive ! I find that comment offensive . Night games in Melbourne , we had plenty on a Tuesday night with the night series played at the Lake Oval. Wet days at the Lake , days at Vic Park , Windy Hill etc you wouldn't cope . My Grandmother , Mother went to every South game , no matter where it was.
Why do we brag about so many members when they don't go and by the way Aussie Rules is a Winter sport !

Kirky has pulled the wrong rein here. Remember going to a game in the Lake Oval in mid 70s. We were playing Melbourne. It rained so hard we could not see to the centre. Not under cover, we were drenched to the last stitch before entering the ground. The pies were cold, but the beer was warm.

Many old Sth supporters would take great exception to your remarks Kirky.

Kirky has pulled the wrong rein here. Remember going to a game in the Lake Oval in mid 70s. We were playing Melbourne. It rained so hard we could not see to the centre. Not under cover, we were drenched to the last stitch before entering the ground. The pies were cold, but the beer was warm.

Many old Sth supporters would take great exception to your remarks Kirky.
Seriously? I don't care in the least, any more than you guys care about us!

You're in Victoria with a tradition of going to the footy. I'm in Sydney with no such tradition, with many more night games that are unfriendly to families, and games that are not aimed at gaining attendance but are aimed at television audiences.

And yet you all bitch about us... how we're fickle, not good enough, not loud enough... Well what we are is not Victorian enough!

Thank god . They have 6 nights in Sydney , we have 5. This shows a precious attitude , no wonder a lot don't go. She has taken it personally when it wasn't directed at loyal one's .

Correct. Kirky is a go to the footy rain, hail or shine, top or bottom of the ladder fan. I consider Kirky to be an honorary Victorian, or more accurately a metaphorical South Melbourne resident!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be , can play
We definite are, it’s why we asked the AFL if he could be taken father/son just in case another club has the opportunity to take him before us.

Worst decision ever by AFL in not including F/S for mid season as he’s still eligible to be taken F/S in the draft later this year.
So: 2018 end of year...eligible
2019 mid season...not eligible
2019 end of year...eligible

WTF and we’re not the only club who’s questioned the rules!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back