Tom Boyd retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Premiership hero! But he has the biggest challenge of his life now. I think football was in the way to overcoming this next hurdle. I don’t know him, obviously, but I’m confident he will victorious again, in the most important game, life. Thanks Tom.

Jeez, sad news. Hope he can get it all together and make a comeback one day.

Just shows, you can have it all and it means nothing if you're suffering from mental health issues. Think about how big those issues must be for a 23 year old to give up footy and the millions that were coming with it. Bloody shattering to be honest.

Forever a premiership champion.

All the best to Tom.
I feel a bit sad that we couldn't help him and provide a workplace that made him want to be there and get better.
Finals series 2016 like no other
Edited to add....I'm sure we tried everything.

Has he been injured or in the VFL this season?

Hope he finds what he’s looking for - his 2016 GF will remain one for the ages.
Both. No preseason due to a back injury, but he's been playing a few weeks of VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the best to Tom.
I feel a bit sad that we couldn't help him and provide a workplace that made him want to be there and get better.
Finals series 2016 like no other

I'm sure the club did everything it could.

Back injuries and mental health. When it comes to tricky and complex issues to deal with, they're right up there.

Sad for Tom as he could have been anything and was for 2 shining weekends in 2016 - I could never think badly of a man who was a major player in delivering what I thought I might never see. I wish him nothing but the best for the future

So we get to go twice in the mid-season draft and have a big carrot to play with come year end

Has Jon Patton been seen in Barker’s Cafe recently or have those rumours of Tim Kelly’s desire to “go west” been misinterpreted?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I must say I’m a bit pissed off at Bevo for turning him into a ruckman. If we played him as a forward as he was recruited for, who knows, he might’ve turned out ok

Shocked, saddened, but we'll always have this.

Add to that a near BOG in a Premiership.

All the best Tommy.

Bring on the draft and trade later this year.

We got some serious cap space.

"Tom Boyd can kick a goal and win the flag and he has done...just...that..." R.Hunt (01/10/16). Gives me shivers every time.

Go well Tommy. We're forever in your debt.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back