Tom Boyd retires

Remove this Banner Ad

The brightest stars burn so fast and strong... they burn for half as long.

Massive no.1 draft pick, gets taken from the New super team franchise and bought for $1m to a club with little success and money and in the midst of massive turmoil as the great white hope to bring us that impossible flag. Plays a Pivatol role in a prelim final against that very super team franchise to get his new mob into a Grand Final, and plays a BOG performance to win one of the most insane Finals stories ever and breaks a 62 year draught to become a premiership player at age 20. retires at 23.

He did it all, and we Bulldogs will never forget and love him forever. Worth every last cent of that million, and he isn't even going to take it all in the end.

Wish you all the best in the future Big Tom, take the world off your shoulders and find love and joy in the simple things.

Absolutely gutted to see him go.

Forever a bulldog premiership hero. That 2016 side feels like a lifetime ago.

On the plus side... probably too soon... the warchest has now grown substantially.

Just heard the news and haven't read any posts here yet.

I just wish Tom's future is bright and happy. IMO he was worth every bloody cent for his 2016 finals and GF performance. I hope he cherishes his achievement too.

Thanks Toydy! :hearteyes::tearsofjoy:

Hope the media are also happy. So many pathetic articles highlighting his contract numbers and questioning whether or not he is good enough. Just let the bloody young kid play and enjoy it.

And the social media trolls who have hassled him for years, I hope they have the decency to feel ashamed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s sad to see any player forced into retirement at the age of 23.

He will always hold a special place for all of us bulldogs for the role he played in the 2016 finals campaign especially the preliminary and grand finals.

Forever a bulldogs immortal.

Sad to think what could have been, but couldn't piece it all together for a long career..

Only really played 2 outstanding games for the club. The 2016 prelim and the Grand Final. Luckily for us it resulted in a premiership..

Not surprised and wish him all the very best . Who knows he may very well make a return one day . All the very best Tom and thanks for that wonderfull 2016

Very sad to hear this, he seemed like he was tracking well. So thankful he played so well in the Grand Final, best of luck for the future Tom!

For those saying this opens up cap space I'm not sure it's as clear cut as that. I'm not sure on the rules myself and I know the club specifies we don't have to pay the rest of his contract but I heard talk that we can't allocate the excess money to other players. We simply play 2020 and 2021 with a diminished salary cap equivalent to the amount we would have been paying Boyd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back