2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think 🤔 Jarrod Brander was another one that GWS lost access to due to him moving? Or was that someone else?

Spargo and Brander got lost due to GWS losing the Murray region.

Todd Marshall was ruled ineligible but that was because he'd played soccer and signed up to the academy in his draft year.

EDIT: Todd Marshall did winter cricket tours (not soccer) so didn't play footy for a couple of years.

Marshall got lost by GWS because of incorrect documentation lodged (according to the official AFL line). Plenty of academy kids have been eligible after only signing up to the academy late in the piece, including their draft year, though Matt Kennedy is the only one that jumps to mind as actually being drafted.

Marshall got lost by GWS because of incorrect documentation lodged (according to the official AFL line). Plenty of academy kids have been eligible after only signing up to the academy late in the piece, including their draft year, though Matt Kennedy is the only one that jumps to mind as actually being drafted.

Harris Andrews was only in our academy for a year IIRC

Right so in reality it was the AFL making the rules up as they went along.

If you have some time to spare, watch some of the run and carry of #1 for the Northern Knights, Lachlan Potter. Has Petruccelle like speed and Lewy Taylor like evasiveness from half back.

It looks like the Tigers have jagged a couple of bargains in Sydney Stack and Shai Bolton, I'd love a player like these 2 in this years draft, speed to burn, x factor and they know how to use it.

Maybe Kiedean Coleman is this guy?

It looks like the Tigers have jagged a couple of bargains in Sydney Stack and Shai Bolton, I'd love a player like these 2 in this years draft, speed to burn, x factor and they know how to use it.

Definitely agree that Stack was a bargain but I reckon Bolton was about right in terms of a draft pick in the context of his draft cohort. That 2016 draft is shaping to be an absolute beauty. Not only are there large numbers of draftees getting games but they look like critical pieces in their sides already. The top 30 looks particularly even and strong. In that context, anyone with a top 30 pick in 2016 had a pretty decent chance of picking up a good player.

Richmond’s drafting looks pretty good these days but it looks to me like their player development and welfare is first class. That potentially allows them to take guys that other clubs have question marks on, which leads to “bargains”.

Bolton and Stack don't have very similar games.

He's small, real small, like 171cm tall, but Kysaiah Pickett from SA has that x-factor.

Two players who I like, and both will probably be gone before our first pick;

Sam Flanders from Gippsland Power, sort of a combination of Ben Ainsworth and Cam Rayner. Is a small forward and inside mid. He's strong over the ball, has a good leap and is a strong mark, and can burst from stoppages, more so with power than with speed. Has to work on his endurance to play more midfield minutes, but is ahead of Rayner in terms of endurance.

Cameron Taheny from Norwood, SA. Is a small/medium forward, has played halfback and is developing as an outside mid with a focus his defensive game. Is a very good leap and mark and has some genuine x factor in the forward 50.

Feel like we really need to try get a top 3 mid in this draft (not sure how we could manage that), Besides Berry and Mccluggage we lack young mids with star potential. Teams like Carlton, Bulldogs, Fremantle and melbourne all have 3+ young mids with star potential something we lack and is a worrying sign imo.

Feel like we really need to try get a top 3 mid in this draft (not sure how we could manage that), Besides Berry and Mccluggage we lack young mids with star potential. Teams like Carlton, Bulldogs, Fremantle and melbourne all have 3+ young mids with star potential something we lack and is a worrying sign imo.

Who are the 3+ young mid stars at Carlton and Freo? I'll give you Cripps and Walsh for Carlton but SPS, Dow, Fisher and O'Brien are all question marks. Freo's young mid brigade is even more of a question mark as Brayshaw has been pretty average in his second year. Melbourne maybe qualifies if Viney counts but he's 25 already.

Obviously more quality mids are always useful but I'm not sure we are worse off than some of those clubs. I'm more worried we don't have the depth to go with the clubs that have experienced and deep midfields.

With some luck we may get that mid with the Collingwood pick. Berry was pick 16. Also there is Ely who could be anything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure I agree with that. When we brought Berry and McCluggage into the club, we didn’t really have much option but to expose them to senior footy in a sink or swim kinda approach. We’re now in a much better position to develop guys over a longer period and in less critical roles.

A guy like Bailey should have fans salivating at what he might become. He won’t be a flanker for much longer. And we’ve got two big bodied mids drafted in the first round (Starc and Smith) who haven’t been given an extended run at senior level. We also have a supremely talented number one draft pick who may or may not play midfield.

Just because they aren’t getting regular senior games in prime midfield roles, doesn’t mean the talent isn’t there.

Having said that, I’m a big believer that any time you go to the draft you should look closely at the best midfield available at your pick. Midfielders are not only critical, they also tend to be flexible enough to play other roles if required.

But I reckon the list managers are doing a great job in picking up talented, long term pieces of the puzzle, both through trade and draft. I’m really comfortable with the balance of our list.

Who are the 3+ young mid stars at Carlton and Freo? Melbourne maybe qualifies if Viney counts but he's 25 already.

Obviously more quality mids are always useful.
Carlton have Cripps, Walsh, Fisher, SPS
Freo probably don't have have stars but they do have quality young mids like Brayshaw, Cerra, Langdon and Blakely
Melbourne have Oliver, Brayshaw, Harmes and even petracca

This probably won't be a issue as one of the young mids in the neafl or even Bailey or Rayner will step up to be star mids in the future.

Not sure I agree with that. When we brought Berry and McCluggage into the club, we didn’t really have much option but to expose them to senior footy in a sink or swim kinda approach. We’re now in a much better position to develop guys over a longer period and in less critical roles.

A guy like Bailey should have fans salivating at what he might become. He won’t be a flanker for much longer. And we’ve got two big bodied mids drafted in the first round (Starc and Smith) who haven’t been given an extended run at senior level. We also have a supremely talented number one draft pick who may or may not play midfield.

Just because they aren’t getting regular senior games in prime midfield roles, doesn’t mean the talent isn’t there.

Having said that, I’m a big believer that any time you go to the draft you should look closely at the best midfield available at your pick. Midfielders are not only critical, they also tend to be flexible enough to play other roles if required.

But I reckon the list managers are doing a great job in picking up talented, long term pieces of the puzzle, both through trade and draft. I’m really comfortable with the balance of our list.
Yeah fair response, i rate Bailey extremely highly has great speed and takes the game on hopefully he returns and plays out the season strongly.

I've been reading up on midfielders Noah Anderson and Matthew Rowell, they are extremely highly rated as the likely top 2 selections this year, I'd give up Collingwood's first this year(15-18?) and our 1st next year for a top 2 selection this year.

Although if they are that good it would be unlikely that a team would give it up, one of them looking like it'll be Adelaide.

I've had similar discussions elsewhere, where we've looked at our midfield, and at the moment you would say on exposed form we only have two probable A grade mids in McCluggage and JBerry. I almost included Tom Cutler, but he's needs an automatic selection under Fagan before we can discuss whether he's potentially A grade or not.

I very much want to see Zac Bailey back in the midfield rotation, but it might take him another season or two to get there, depending on needs elsewhere on the field. And I rate TBerry up there with Zac Bailey on potential.

I'm still up in the air on Starcevich, Ely Smith and Tom Joyce for different reasons. Of the three, I think Joyce has the potential to become a key midfielder going forward.

This is looking like a very short draft with very few KPP's likely to be picked in the first round or top 25.

The highest rated (top 10) by draft watchers is Will Gould from South Australia. He was a bottom age All Australian at last years U18 Championships, is 191cm and is viewed as a 3rd tall very similar to Shannon Hurn at the Eagles.

After Gould there is no consensus on who the next best KPP is, or if there's another viewed as a potential first round selection.

Potential first rounders.
Josh Worrell, 193cm KPD from Sandringham is next highest rated KPP by most draft watchers, in the 15 to 20 range.
Luke Jackson, 198cm Ruckman from East Fremantle is talked about as a potentially in the 15 to 25 range.
Charlie Dean, 194cm KPF from Sandringham is considered the best KPF, and talked about in the 20 to 30 range.
Nick Bryan, 202cm Ruck from Oakleigh Chargers. Has a wide variability on potential range, 20/25 to 40.

Sam De Koning, 200cm KPD/KPF from Dandenong Stingrays, appears to be in the 25 to 35 range. De Koning has mostly been played as a Key Defender, however I had a discussion with some one last week, and it was their belief that he's possibly a better forward, and if De Koning gets played forward more, especially during the U18 Championships, he could potentially move up draft boards. The same discussion has just started on the draft forum today.

Not only are there looking like very few top end KPP's, there are a lot of shorter mids in this years draft. If you look at Draft Central's top 20, there are 5 mids in the 176cm to 178cm range.

I'm really not liking the Collingwood pick if they make the finals. Hopefully there are a couple of draft "bolters" that climb up the draft boards from or after the U18 Championships, or a couple of the talls come on and really develop during the second half of the season and a couple of clubs "reach" for talls at their first pick, because they'll be gone by their next pick.

I've had similar discussions elsewhere, where we've looked at our midfield, and at the moment you would say on exposed form we only have two probable A grade mids in McCluggage and JBerry. I almost included Tom Cutler, but he's needs an automatic selection under Fagan before we can discuss whether he's potentially A grade or not.

I very much want to see Zac Bailey back in the midfield rotation, but it might take him another season or two to get there, depending on needs elsewhere on the field. And I rate TBerry up there with Zac Bailey on potential.

I'm still up in the air on Starcevich, Ely Smith and Tom Joyce for different reasons. Of the three, I think Joyce has the potential to become a key midfielder going forward.

Couldn't agree with you anymore on Cutler always thought he had All Australian potential but it seems Fagan isn't a fan and prefers to look at his flaws more than his upside and what he brings to the team unlike what he does with Rayner and Witherden.

Yeah I've got a good feeling about Joyce as well hopefully he can turn into another Lachie Neale.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-17/plug-and-play-meet-the-top10-mids-ripe-for-the-picking

Luke Meadows – Box Hill (VFL)
24yo, 186cm, 85kg
Was strongly considered by Hawthorn during the pre-season supplemental period and played in an AFL intraclub match before the Hawks decided to take beanpole ruckman Ned Reeves. Moved from West Perth to Box Hill this season in an attempt to give him the best chance to earn a berth on an AFL list. Also attracted interest from Carlton and Brisbane at the end of last season.
If we end up with an opening for the mid season draft Meadows may be on our radar? If not and he doesn't get picked up elsewhere, one to track as a potential recruit at the end of this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back