Tom Boyd retires

Should count towards Bulldogs salary cap for remainder of contract

Why?

The contract has been amended by mutual agreement.

The bulldogs should only declare what they pay - not what they could have paid.

It would be like a clubs with players on $200k who get a mid year payrise due to re-contracting only having to declare $200k in the cap.

If they paid him out the $2m - then sure.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
explain how

So clubs can now throw massive $$$ to get a player to them and then mid contract tear it up and use the money elsewhere. I thought new rules were bought in after the Buddy deal to stop this stuff. And then you add in backloaded contracts and so on. There is now way this should be allowed.

May have been asked already
Is the last 2 years part of salary cap even though not paid ?
Swans would have same issue if Buddy retires early
No, because Boyd was a trade not a FA signing.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Can you just not? No one really cares about this right now
I understand it might be a bit emotional for you mate but the guy has only retired, not bloody died!
He made the best decision for himself and hopefully he is happy with it.
In case you hadn't noticed, threads on big footy do tend to go on tangents.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
He's already stepped away from the game once. I just think he's done with the game and doesn't enjoy playing it any more. But can see the merit in your suggestion as well.

I don't really think there's a wrong answer to the way he's handled this situation.

An anecdote, Boyd moved into my old street last year. it's a pretty decent street to live on but he looked anything like a young bloke cashed up and having the time of his life. Always looked the opposite. I hope things take a turn for the better with him and that GF was a ripping game that will live on forever.

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
Hang on, retire now gets delisted, the dogs all of sudden have millions in the cap to do what they want. What if he does a Mal Michael, Mummy, or J Marsh and comes back next year. If the dogs are allowed to spend like drunken sailors is criminal. Boyd's money should be factored into their salary cap for the duration of what his contract should of been or neutralized if he comes back in the foreseeable future. Somehow this is not a open and shut case, the usual suspects will be looking on with interest.
Would expect part of the agreement would prevent him playing AFL for any side for the next 2 years.

So clubs can now throw massive $$$ to get a player to them and then mid contract tear it up and use the money elsewhere. I thought new rules were bought in after the Buddy deal to stop this stuff. And then you add in backloaded contracts and so on. There is now way this should be allowed.
Clubs cannot. Both parties have to agree to it if the player was traded in.

Trades and Free Agency signings are treated differently.

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Those final two years of his contract should count against the Bulldogs. They used that length of tenure to rip him out of a club early, they should now have to wear the consequences.

This should serve as a warning for clubs that want to dangle these uncommercial godfather style deals. They got a flag so it’s been a good investment but they should not get any relief because it’s ended early.

Pretty sure Swans had to pay Tippett against the cap beyond retirement.
That's because Tippett didn't agree to not get paid

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
No, because Boyd was a trade not a FA signing.

What a lot of rubbish, he was a contracted player who has not fulfilled the length of his contract. That ridiculous uncommercial deal was used to prize him out of a fledgling club. The discussions on that deal were going on for months before that trade period. They got their man, he got them a flag but now he’s gone. Tough t***ies, pay the price.

Is that right? Lets take a look at the responses to your statement here and see if your weight of numbers do add up:
Against...

For... *crickets.

No one is arguing he didnt play a ripper of a game, and many believe he should have been awarded the Norm smith medal but please, one of the GFs best ever? I dont think so matey. He played a great game, took 8 marks and 3 goals as a key forward (stats arent the be all and end all I know). Consider the following:

89 GF Dunstall kicked 8 and GAblett kicked 9 goals in the losing side and won the NSM.
1980 GF Kevin Bartlett Kicked 7 goals and took 9 marks from the midfield (NSM)
1992 Peter Matera kicked 5 goals from a wing (NSM) Peter Sumich also kicked 6 in the same game.

There are many more- most would agree Shueys performance in last years GF was one of the best in the AFL era.

Your numbers dont stack up, but I guess if you have been following footy for such a short time, you could be forgiven for thinking no one before 2016 had done much.

Not the time, and not the place. If you want to talk up West Coasts premiership do it on your own board.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Why? If he is off the list and they aren’t paying him a cent moving forward after this season, who cares?

Every other club who operates under the same salary cap. This was the most talked about contract in years. A kid who had played 1 season being offered a million bucks a year and demanding a trade mid contract. You make a dud investment, you have to cop the loss.

Those final two years of his contract should count against the Bulldogs. They used that length of tenure to rip him out of a club early, they should now have to wear the consequences.

We didn’t rip him out of a club. He was contracted and a trade and GWS had every right and capability to say no. He also cost the Bulldogs their best player and a top 10 pick.

It’s not like he was a free agent being enticed for piss poor compensation

What a lot of rubbish, he was a contracted player who has not fulfilled the length of his contract. That ridiculous uncommercial deal was used to prize him out of a fledgling club. The discussions on that deal were going on for months before that trade period. They got their man, he got them a flag but now he’s gone. Tough t***ies, pay the price.
It's a mutual decision, and not without precedent.

Tom and his manager Liam Pickering met with the Club this morning and reached a friendly resolution of all contractual matters. That resolution included that Tom’s payment in 2019 be reduced and that payments previously agreed for 2020 and 2021 be cancelled.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-05-16/tom-boyd-announces-afl-retirement

Every other club who operates under the same salary cap. This was the most talked about contract in years. A kid who had played 1 season being offered a million bucks a year and demanding a trade mid contract. You make a dud investment, you have to cop the loss.

Why? He’s not getting paid. It’s not like free agency where I agree it should count.

Hahndozer

Team Captain
May 4, 2008
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

This should serve as a warning for clubs that want to dangle these uncommercial godfather style deals. They got a flag so it’s been a good investment but they should not get any relief because it’s ended early.

Pretty sure Swans had to pay Tippett against the cap beyond retirement.

Apples and oranges.

Tippett's money only counted because he made the Swans continue to pay after he was finished.

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Why are you not getting this? We paid for him using a player and a pick. We have already paid the price.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond

So if Toby Greene wanted to walk away from the Giants you'd be happy to keep him on the books until 2024?

Well the general consensus here is that it was one of the best Grand Final performances ever so I guess weight of numbers is stacked against you hey?
Who is "here"? Are YOU the general consensus? The Bulldogs board? BigFooty? He had a good game, but three goals and 14 disposals isn't up there with the great GF performances.

Back