Oppo Camp General AFL Discussion - Opposition posters welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like Essendon have finally got on the front foot and demanded some answers.

good on them.

I know we give them a bit of stick for a wide range of things, but they have every right to ask for some clarity on the Rampe goal post climbing decision.

Never thought I’d say this but I’m with the bombers on this one. Completely unacceptable. And the AFL can * off with this “practical umpiring” bullshit they never do it any other time

Nothing wrong with having an opinion...we all have them...it's always nice to come across an intelligent and well thought out opinion...it's a treat!
Especially a well constructed opinion that is informative and changes your perception about the game...more of it i say!
I adored reading Martin Flanagan pieces of Journalism on the AFL game...
But this current level of moronic blabber...looking at you SEN and Co...Lloyd from the bumbers...you have to sort through the chaff to get some gems..
When you sort through the chaff you end up with bulltish

I don’t care if a Richmond player wins or the rising star or not, what I care about is that the rising star competition doesn’t seem to be adjudicated properly.
What it appears to be is the the results are contrived, I’m sure the sponsor is liking the positive publicity, being a shareholder I might send NAB an email given all the positive press they have received recently.

Some interesting issues and some exploiting of rules by a club..............

1. Rising star Nomination....

To me this was pre-determined this week, there was 90-100 minutes from the completion of the NM/Gee game to the start of the Fre/Rich game. Plenty of time for Johnson to either get home to watch or organise someone else too. No excuse to not view our game unless the nomination was already decided and there was no need to view our game.

2. 6-6-6 exploitation....

Essendon well done and the look on Wankley's face as he furiously scribbled down some notes while Kingy explained told it all. Essendon were 5 pts down and needing a goal. They removed a player from the defence and instead ran that player off the bench where he would be all alone and in space on the wing, it didn't work out but it was clever and i applaud it. Another loop hole exploited by the coaches in these not well thought out rules.

3. Rampe re both issues....

A) The AFL can't issue him with please explain or a fine if they ticked off on it, simply a case of ' we stuffed up but will punish the player '
B) Rampe's comments to the umpire, C'mon AFL really, 10K fine with 5K suspended, heat of the moment comment by a player who had just been pinged for HTB. Again the AFL wanting to be seen as all PC, terrible fine and if i was Rampe i would refuse to pay it.

What will the AFL do if an AFLW player tells a female umpire to speak up because she sounds like a shy little boy.

To me this was pre-determined this week, there was 90-100 minutes from the completion of the NM/Gee game to the start of the Fre/Rich game. Plenty of time for Johnson to either get home to watch or organise someone else too. No excuse to not view our game unless the nomination was already decided and there was no need to view our game.

Essendon well done and the look on Wankley's face as he furiously scribbled down some notes while Kingy explained told it all. Essendon were 5 pts down and needing a goal. They removed a player from the defence and instead ran that player off the bench where he would be all alone and in space on the wing, it didn't work out but it was clever and i applaud it. Another loop hole exploited by the coaches in these not well thought out rules.

A) The AFL can't issue him with please explain or a fine if they ticked off on it, simply a case of ' we stuffed up but will punish the player '
B) Rampe's comments to the umpire, C'mon AFL really, 10K fine with 5K suspended, heat of the moment comment by a player who had just been pinged for HTB. Again the AFL wanting to be seen as all PC, terrible fine and if i was Rampe i would refuse to pay it.

What will the AFL do if an AFLW player tells a female umpire to speak up because she sounds like a shy little boy.

I thought the King and Whateley exchange was funny. Kingy started out saying how smart it was but must have seen Whateley getting all twitchy and all of a sudden it became an issue the AFL has to look into.

In answer to
1. Brad was at fox sports watching the game, he is paid to do that and award votes.he lied when he said I saw the other games live.

2. 666 essendon obviously didn’t have the required players in the required positions, should have had a free or a warning, every other game umpires delay bouncing and warn or in our case pay a free against.
King is a moron saying it was good coaching, wankley was taking notes because you can bet your house on it that next club to try will be penalised.

Remember he is the oracle of Australian rules, he played kick to kick in the backyard with a plastic ball when he was 6.

3 you didn’t tank , but here’s a fine, you didn’t tank but we suspend the coach, you dint take peds but here a fine.
Every time it’s gone out of the AFL s hand in punishments or otherwise the AFL has lost, remember the w8nd6 hill brawl GR was deregistered until threats of legal action.
Essendon players found not guilty of PEDs subsequently suspended by overruling body.

And Gilligan sprouts attendances are up, ( free tickets to gws any cold goats supporters) Ratingsare up yet Friday night games out rated by better homes and gardens And current affair , but Gilligan says trust me.

Line my pockets you people from the weeds.

I thought the King and Whateley exchange was funny. Kingy started out saying how smart it was but must have seen Whateley getting all twitchy and all of a sudden it became an issue the AFL has to look into.
I hate 6-6-6, it's stupid and not needed. Any club exploiting it will get a tick of approval from me.

In answer to

2. 666 essendon obviously didn’t have the required players in the required positions, should have had a free or a warning, every other game umpires delay bouncing and warn or in our case pay a free against.
King is a moron saying it was good coaching, wankley was taking notes because you can bet your house on it that next club to try will be penalised.
No warning given because Essendon did not have more than the required six in any of the three areas, no rule that says you must have 18 on the field at all times, you can have under but you can't have over.

Tom Boyd from the bulldogs has decided to retire as he continues to battle physical injury and mental health.

That finals series he had in 2016 was amazing. He carried the Bulldogs and stepped up big time.

Hopefully life after football is good to him and he can get himself right again.

Tom Boyd from the bulldogs has decided to retire as he continues to battle physical injury and mental health.

That finals series he had in 2016 was amazing. He carried the Bulldogs and stepped up big time.

Hopefully life after football is good to him and he can get himself right again.

Most Dogs fans seem like he was money well spent, given he helped deliver them a flag, something most of them never thought they would see. Does suck that he has to retire so early though.

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse..

Now we have a Rising star selector admitting he didn't even watch our game last week.

How many other games aren't watched ?

It's a disgrace to be honest. How can you make an accurate selection from a bunch of young guys if you haven't observed all of their performances! :shrug:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a disgrace to be honest. How can you make a accurate selection from a bunch of young guys if you haven't observed all of their performances! :shrug:

Like everything else related to the AFL , it’s compromised, Barry Hall was sacked for less

Gotta feel for him. What a prick of a disease. I hope he goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point entirely....i am the same...but if the AFL do have awards then do them properly...have a watcher at the games!
Those awards at least expose the footy oppo public to players they may not be aware of whether Tiger or Oppo...that's a good thing for the game!
If your not fair dinkum about implementing them...scrap them altogether, it's a sham otherwise!
This, exactly! I don't get all fluffed about these types of awards, but it's not good if players are being nominated based on the fact that the selectors didn't see the other guys playing! Dodgy as!

It would be interesting to see if there was a criteria, or if the AFL just gives the selectors free reign to chose whoever they want! If the former, why aren't they watching other players games? If the latter (which seems more realistic under the circumstances), then something needs to be done about it!

Most Dogs fans seem like he was money well spent, given he helped deliver them a flag, something most of them never thought they would see. Does suck that he has to retire so early though.

Retiring early sucks true, but I could put up with the suckiness if I had 4.5 million bucks too

This, exactly! I don't get all fluffed about these types of awards, but it's not good if players are being nominated based on the fact that the selectors didn't see the other guys playing! Dodgy as!

It would be interesting to see if there was a criteria, or if the AFL just gives the selectors free reign to chose whoever they want! If the former, why aren't they watching other players games? If the latter (which seems more realistic under the circumstances), then something needs to be done about it!

They have betting markets on it, would suck if you placed your hard earned on a player that wasnt considered because brad jofhnson didn’t watch the game, where’s gaming Victoria? Sounds to me like a sting

Don't get me started on Barry Halls sacking....100% NOT LEGAL!

Don't get me wrong, his comments were disgusting, but an apology should have sufficed! He should of fought it tooth and nail!

Why Wernt the other two muppets sanctioned?

Why Wernt the other two muppets sanctioned?
I get what your saying, but I think (from what I heard of the conversation) that only what Barry said was over the line.

But seriously, how can a person be sacked immediately for making a flippant comment! If that happened in a normal workplace, Fairwork would get involved.

Then there's the matter of the total and completely unreasonable backlash on his wife and children from the general public! DISGRACEFUL! A bunch of hypocrites they are!

Okay....rant over! :tearsofjoy:

Retiring early sucks true, but I could put up with the suckiness if I had 4.5 million bucks too

I bet my balls if Boyd had a choice between a crippling mental illness or $4.5 mill in the bank, i know which he’d take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely. If it happened to Richmond, I'd be wanting answers too.
12 years on we still talk about the Dreamtime Richo "hands in the back" free kick and 50m penalty.* That was a result of frustration at a rule change.
I actually can't even begin to imagine how I'd feel losing a game like Essendon did. The one thing the AFL MUST do now is clarify it beyond any doubt. You either can or can't climb a post when someone is having a shot at goal.

*(well, those of us that still can't get over it still talk about it :think:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back