FTA-TV Game of Thrones - season 8

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Ham fisted?
- Ep 5 ballistas were shown again, to be hard to adjust like the battle of the Goldroad. But in Ep4 they were easy to swivel and line up.
- An entire fleet were hidden behind a rock. Or appaered out of nowhere. Dany was looking in the direction of the first bolt that hit Rhaegal, at least one of the ships in the fleet should been visible given that it is implied Euron killed Rhaegal.
- Dragon abilities have been adjusted to fit the scenario. Drogon vs boats part one and part two are completely inconsistant. Dragons in the Battle of Goldroad vs the Battle of Winterfell have completely different impact.

Basically D&D changed the rules of the world to suit the event they had to make happen; Rhaegal needed to die so Jon would be on the ground when attacking King's Landing.

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
inadvertently setting off a cascade of wildfire
This is another annoyance of mine - there's been literally no consequence to Cersei destroying the Sept of Baelor, wiping out most of the Westeros' main religious leaders. Imagine if the Italian Prime Minister blew up St Peter's Basilica with several hundred people in attendance?

- Ep 5 ballistas were shown again, to be hard to adjust like the battle of the Goldroad. But in Ep4 they were easy to swivel and line up.
- An entire fleet were hidden behind a rock. Or appaered out of nowhere. Dany was looking in the direction of the first bolt that hit Rhaegal, at least one of the ships in the fleet should been visible given that it is implied Euron killed Rhaegal.
- Dragon abilities have been adjusted to fit the scenario. Drogon vs boats part one and part two are completely inconsistant. Dragons in the Battle of Goldroad vs the Battle of Winterfell have completely different impact.

Basically D&D changed the rules of the world to suit the event they had to make happen; Rhaegal needed to die so Jon would be on the ground when attacking King's Landing.
Were they easy to swivel in ep 4?

This is another annoyance of mine - there's been literally no consequence to Cersei destroying the Sept of Baelor, wiping out most of the Westeros' main religious leaders. Imagine if the Italian Prime Minister blew up St Peter's Basilica with several hundred people in attendance?
I agree for the most part, however;
a) Cersei could deny responsibility
b) Italian PM isn’t a dictator/monarch
c) Faith of the Seven is largely a Westerosi/Andals thing, whereas Christianity is worldwide
d) Greater potential for condemnation from without of Italian government for killing innocents en masse in Europe than of Westerosi killing their own as the dominant military force in the region

I got the impression Dany was rather clueless as to how to attack them. Clearly they can’t shoot directly up, so bombing down from above as Aegon I did on Balerion would have worked like a charm. Instead, she flew Drogon right at them in a rage without opening fire. Good way to get him killed, in fact.

I got the impression Dany was rather clueless as to how to attack them. Clearly they can’t shoot directly up, so bombing down from above as Aegon I did on Balerion would have worked like a charm. Instead, she flew Drogon right at them in a rage without opening fire. Good way to get him killed, in fact.
Which she corrected the next time she faced them.

I don't think they ever showed the ballistas as easy to swivel in ep.4. The first volley that hit the dragon we don't see them lining up but the show inferred that the dragons had just flown into their line of site. After that, Dany and Drogon fly straight at Euron and his ships and then retreats straight back from where she came when they start firing at her.

She was taken by surprise.

In the second battle she took them by surprise. Came in steeply from up high with the sun behind her. When attacking the walls Drogon was seen dodging several bolts before suddenly flying straight up and frying them from above before they could re-load.

I have no idea what you mean by the dragons have different impact? one was in an open field and the next battle was over sea and land.

There were many different plot points that they could have used to have Jon on the ground rather than riding Rhaegal. I think the major plot point was to give the impression that ballistas gave Cercei a chance in the battle. It also served as a lesson for Dany.

She didn’t adjust at the time and destroy the entire Iron Fleet, she flew Drogon at the fleet and did not attack with “dracarys”, leaving her remaining dragon, her life and her quest for the Iron Throne in peril.

She didn’t adjust at the time and destroy the entire Iron Fleet, she flew Drogon at the fleet and did not attack with “dracarys”, leaving her remaining dragon, her life and her quest for the Iron Throne in peril.
I think you have to realise she was taken completely by surprise, her dragon (child) had just been killed before her eyes and she was reacting with anger before coming to her senses.

No, because she was upset at the death of one of her children and against overwhelming odds. Given the following days/weeks, and time to plan, she was fine when she flew against them again.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

- We never saw them swivel in ep 4.
- Exactly 11 boats were hidden behind a huge land formation. Dany was looking in that direction the shot prior, we have no idea where she was looking in the shot where the first bolt hits. Not that it matters much - even if she was looking that way, the huge dragon between her and Euron would obscure a fair bit of vision.
- Yeah, it does feel inconsistent. Not a biggie for me though - she was clearly rattled in ep 4, ep 5 she was prepared an altered her tactics accordingly (dive bomb straight down, using the sun, getting in close quickly)

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
There's several shots of Euron in ep 4 moving the ballista around. In ep 5 there is a specific show showing how hard it is for Euron to move.

Which she corrected the next time she faced them.
Yet they still showed the first bolt whooshing past her in Ep5 before she opens fire.

No, because she was upset at the death of one of her children and against overwhelming odds. Given the following days/weeks, and time to plan, she was fine when she flew against them again.
Aside from coming from the clouds on the initial run the angle of attack for subsequent runs is the same as previous episode (and in past dragon attacks). Basically, ep 4 ballistas were way more effective before the mods nerfed them in ep 5.

I get all that. I just wouldn’t put her on the Tywin Lannister level of tactician. She was taken by surprise but she’s seen these things before on the battle of the Goldroad. Her first move should be to fly up and out of range... that’s just taking care of Drogon. Then decide at a safe distance whether to employ a divebomb strategy, which should have been discussed long ago after Goldroad, or live to fight another day which frankly still condemns her ships and sucks balls as leadership goes.

If you’re going to fly angry at entire fleet of ships which just took out one of your “children”, give your remaining “child”, on which you are currently perched, some cover and spout fire. Dragonfire should incinerate a bolt anyway.

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Eh? There's no movement whatsover depicted at 0.46 (slight tilt up with noticeable effort from Euron a few seconds after) and at 1.45 its a down the barrel shot of Dany'd fleet being lined up really slowly.
Which is a still a whole lot more than the 'turn around!' in ep 5. I've also gotta stop watching that clip because it's riddled with continuity errors around the position of Euron.

I just noticed a nice detail - the ship ballistas have tentacles, whereas the land one have lion's heads.

There's several shots of Euron in ep 4 moving the ballista around. In ep 5 there is a specific show showing how hard it is for Euron to move.

Yet they still showed the first bolt whooshing past her in Ep5 before she opens fire.

Aside from coming from the clouds on the initial run the angle of attack for subsequent runs is the same as previous episode (and in past dragon attacks). Basically, ep 4 ballistas were way more effective before the mods nerfed them in ep 5.

Exactly, it whooshed past because her tactic was successful. It's not like they made them impossible to fire.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Which is a still a whole lot more than the 'turn around!' in ep 5. I've also gotta stop watching that clip because it's riddled with continuity errors around the position of Euron.

I just noticed a nice detail - the ship ballistas have tentacles, whereas the land one have lion's heads.

Meh, I reckon the ballista movement we were shown in both eps is fairly equivalent - slow and laborious both times. And of course they were yelling turn around in ep 5, Drogon came from behind them and was close vs in front of them and retreating in ep 4.

Lettuce by cereal, I love the show, even with the faults... but they are clear faults.

They way Rhaegal died was **** and lazy; it doesn't need to be defended, it sucked - but whatever, just try and enjoy the show as best as you can.

Agree insofar as 3 direct hits at that range is pretty whack, but its the only real issue I have with it. For everything else there's a fairly plausible scenario if you think it through.

Last edited:
The Qyburn giving Cersei increasingly bad news shot the exact same way every time scenes with Cersei getting progressively more distressed was almost comedic in a way.

So true. It reminded me of the humour C Hemsworth has nailed with Thor or what they tried with Hux in The Las Jedi.

Back