No Oppo Supporters 2019 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boyd was still contracted for another year at GWS and as a result they didn't have to trade him regardless of the godfather contract made by the Bulldogs or not. Hawthorn on the other hand had the option to match our offer for Buddy and that goes with any other FA offer made.

Also GWS were able to get rewarded in draft picks and a player that Hawthorn weren't able to with Buddy.
Fair point. Still frustrating that the Bulldogs were able to pry him from GWS with a godfather deal and don't have to honour it, but it's probably more a case of the AFL not doing enough to protect expansion sides than anything else.

Tippett must of been less willing to take a cut

I saw on twitter (so take it with a grain of salt) Tippett was annoyed with swans handling of injuries etc so was stubborn in negotiation

Sounds believable.

Sounds believable.
Agreed. Hard to judge from the outside looking in, but the fact that Buddy played all of last year, Hanners was played in the ground, and now Heeney is being played on one leg is seriously starting to make me doubt the capability of our medical staff.

If Heeney ends up being cooked at the same age as Hanners I'll be ropeable. For the record, that's only 5 seasons away.

Agreed. Hard to judge from the outside looking in, but the fact that Buddy played all of last year, Hanners was played in the ground, and now Heeney is being played on one leg is seriously starting to make me doubt the capability of our medical staff.

If Heeney ends up being cooked at the same age as Hanners I'll be ropeable. For the record, that's only 5 seasons away.

Agree. Why play a 23 year old who is carrying something and is already arguably our most valuable player? ******* stupid

Agree. Why play a 23 year old who is carrying something and is already arguably our most valuable player? ******* stupid
You'd have thought we'd learn our lesson about playing unfit players from the 2016 GF. Or from how good we were when all our players came back fit after we finally gave them a ******* rest in early 2017. There's something seriously up for it to still be happening now.

Just let the Bulldogs have it on twitter, asked whether Boyd will get a statue next to Scott Jeffrey.

Oh man, that'll show them!

You'd have thought we'd learn our lesson about playing unfit players from the 2016 GF. Or from how good we were when all our players came back fit after we finally gave them a ******* rest in early 2017. There's something seriously up for it to still be happening now.

I think it's just the opposite. There's nothing suspicious about it and the reason is clear as day. Horse doesn't want to lose. Our depth is pretty average atm, and Horse would rather back in an injured Heeney than turn to a Rose or a Bell. Just like last year he preferred Hanners to Robinson, Foote etc.

But even if a half-baked Heeney, or Hanners, or Buddy, is better than the alternative, there is never an excuse to be playing blokes injured.

I think it's just the opposite. There's nothing suspicious about it and the reason is clear as day. Horse doesn't want to lose. Our depth is pretty average atm, and Horse would rather back in an injured Heeney than turn to a Rose or a Bell. Just like last year he preferred Hanners to Robinson, Foote etc.

But even if a half-baked Heeney, or Hanners, or Buddy, is better than the alternative, there is never an excuse to be playing blokes injured.

Yeah that's such a brilliant strategy that in 2020 or the latter part of this year when Heeney physically can't play, and we are without him for a month, we'll wonder why we didn't just give him a week off early in the season.

It's a ******* stupid strategy from him and isn't the way to go.

Yeah that's such a brilliant strategy that in 2020 or the latter part of this year when Heeney physically can't play, and we are without him for a month, we'll wonder why we didn't just give him a week off early in the season.

It's a ******* stupid strategy from him and isn't the way to go.

Don't need to tell me that! I was banging on about it for the last two years with Hanners and all I got was either "he needs to play through it" or "maybe he's not injured at all but just out of form". Well how'd that work out?

Don't need to tell me that! I was banging on about it for the last two years with Hanners and all I got was either "he needs to play through it" or "maybe he's not injured at all but just out of form". Well how'd that work out?

Haha yeah, not having a go at you mate, in case there was any confusion.

Spot on. Not convinced Heeney in his current state offers much more than Rose could anyway, to be honest. Even if he does, I'd take the short-term pain of an inferior Rose for a long-term fitter Heeney.

Spot on. Not convinced Heeney in his current state offers much more than Rose could anyway, to be honest. Even if he does, I'd take the short-term pain of an inferior Rose for a long-term fitter Heeney.

Agree 100%. Especially given it's highly unlikely we'll be making the finals anyway (and risking Heeney just to scrape in for a 7th or 8th spot is not worth it IMO.)

I could tell Heeney was off in the Bombers game when he was going to ground far too easily. Say what you want about Heeney, floats in and out of games too much, tries to play champagne footy, whatever. But one thing he is absolutely the best at in our team is his balance and staying on his feet. He's ridiculously consistent in this area, and to be looking so weak against a team like Esssendon (let's face it, they're not exactly the Brisbane Lions of 2003!) told me he's definitely not right. I thought the same in the two weeks before, but chalked his meagre lack of physicality against the Lions down to the wet weather. Well the other night was perfect footy conditions and he looked stuffed.

Tom Boyd retired before buddy then
So Boyd retired and His 2019 payments will be reduced and contract for 2020 and 2021 will be cancelled

Buddy retires hypothetically and we wear it completely?

Have I missed something

Yeah.
The part about us being an AFL team in the division one VFL Competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree 100%. Especially given it's highly unlikely we'll be making the finals anyway (and risking Heeney just to scrape in for a 7th or 8th spot is not worth it IMO.)

I could tell Heeney was off in the Bombers game when he was going to ground far too easily. Say what you want about Heeney, floats in and out of games too much, tries to play champagne footy, whatever. But one thing he is absolutely the best at in our team is his balance and staying on his feet. He's ridiculously consistent in this area, and to be looking so weak against a team like Esssendon (let's face it, they're not exactly the Brisbane Lions of 2003!) told me he's definitely not right. I thought the same in the two weeks before, but chalked his meagre lack of physicality against the Lions down to the wet weather. Well the other night was perfect footy conditions and he looked stuffed.
Copped a solid knock in the 3rd min or so on ground.
Came up very gingerly...hobbled a bit..and tried to run it off.

Tippett must of been less willing to take a cut

I saw on twitter (so take it with a grain of salt) Tippett was annoyed with swans handling of injuries etc so was stubborn in negotiation

I would say he was less willing to take a cut because he deferred money earned from his 2017/2018 years under his contract to 2019 and 2020 to help us out under the salary cap when we approached him in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back