Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Scrap the MRO, go back to a tribunal which comprises of at least 30 rotating ex-players who adjudicate in groups of 3 and we will start to get outcomes that take into account the fabric of the game.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Then Brownlow Medalists might get weeks.. the AFL wont like that I’m afraid..

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Scrap the MRO, go back to a tribunal which comprises of at least 30 rotating ex-players who adjudicate in groups of 3 and we will start to get outcomes that take into account the fabric of the game.

That'll be a partial solution but there is still the issue of umpires and MRO applying their good bloke or the star of the game discretion, so superstars like Nate and GAJ will still never face the tribunal whereas the likes of Durds will still be on trial.

And how about that garbage where Rampe was fined after the AFL Muppets "signed off" that it was OK for him to climb the post. What's the rule? It was a free kick or 50m penalty. No discretion allowed by umpires. No fine for the player though, simply because the umpires failed to apply a rule that almost certainly turned the result of the match.

In this case, why was the umpire not fined?

That'll be a partial solution but there is still the issue of umpires and MRO applying their good bloke or the star of the game discretion, so superstars like Nate and GAJ will still never face the tribunal whereas the likes of Durds will still be on trial.

And how about that garbage where Rampe was fined after the AFL Muppets "signed off" that it was OK for him to climb the post. What's the rule? It was a free kick or 50m penalty. No discretion allowed by umpires. No fine for the player though, simply because the umpires failed to apply a rule that almost certainly turned the result of the match.

In this case, why was the umpire not fined?
When did the AFL “sign off” it was ok to climb the post?

Tiberius

Generational Talent
Sep 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I try my best to be level headed and to look at things without emotional or personal biases clouding my judgement. I believe that people fly off the handle and make all kinds of irrational accusations in the heat of the moment. I try to see the best in people and organisations.
But try as I might, I can't for one second believe that if the Durdin and Ablett situations had been reversed the penalties would have been the same. Durdin would have been suspended for what Ablett did, and Ablett would have got off for what Durdin did.
In short, a middle aged man has lost his faith in the AFL, and if they aren't concerned they should be.
Although they'd probably just claim that I haven't lost faith, I only think I have but I'm wrong.

I try my best to be level headed and to look at things without emotional or personal biases clouding my judgement. I believe that people fly off the handle and make all kinds of irrational accusations in the heat of the moment. I try to see the best in people and organisations.
But try as I might, I can't for one second believe that if the Durdin and Ablett situations had been reversed the penalties would have been the same. Durdin would have been suspended for what Ablett did, and Ablett would have got off for what Durdin did.
In short, a middle aged man has lost his faith in the AFL, and if they aren't concerned they should be.
Although they'd probably just claim that I haven't lost faith, I only think I have but I'm wrong.

Mate, you've held out for far longer than most of us.

WayneShimmiesTheBush

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The 'Gil years' will go down as the most farcical in the history of the game. What a useless bunch of imbeciles we have running the game.

i think you are being a little harsh on imbeciles around the world. they don't deserve to be compared to Gil and his army of halfwits. Apologies to any halfwits I may have offended.

SonofSamsquanch

Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When did the AFL “sign off” it was ok to climb the post?
IMG_3257.PNG

Tiberius

Generational Talent
Sep 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
All of which begs the question of when is it "pragmatic" to pay the free kick. So it's a free kick according to the rules, but it was apparently "common sense" not to pay it in this instance. So when do you pay it? To me common sense suggests that when a player is having a shot for goal after the siren to win the match is the time this rule needs to be enforced most strictly.

SonofSamsquanch

Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
All of which begs the question of when is it "pragmatic" to pay the free kick. So it's a free kick according to the rules, but it was apparently "common sense" not to pay it in this instance. So when do you pay it? To me common sense suggests that when a player is having a shot for goal after the siren to win the match is the time this rule needs to be enforced most strictly.
Dead right.

Funny thing is that the goal post rule is one of the most clear cut rules in the book. Others, like in the back/HTB, deliberate OOB, Crow_throw, Bulldog_drop or Ben Brown marks may be so confusing that the ump can get away with paying it to either team and still be correct according to the AFL, or the roar of the crowd. But this one shows that the AFL are (at least publically) OK with a wrong umpiring decision that was not made under pressure turning the result of a game.

LOL.

'Technically a free kick....context....ball hadn't been kicked....'

THE campaigner CLIMBED THE GOAL POST YOU ******* PONCE.

When Taz remonstrated with GAJ for his elbow on Sammy he grabbed his jumper.

Technically a free kick....context...ball hasn’t been kicked.

The guy TACKLED HIM WITHOUT THE BALL

The umpire shows some common sense and you guys still spit the dummy. FMD

What part of that says it’s ok to climb the post? Every single line of what you quoted says it’s not ok to climb the post.

Fair point. However, the fact is that he was still on the post as the ball was kicked - and it was shaking - so Gil and others' feeble justification of the umpire's gutless non-decision doesn't stack up.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's funny that it happened to *, but I reckon if it happened to us, I'd be as furious as Robbo was the other night on AFL360 (probably not as drunk at my workplace, but still furious).

Fair point. However, the fact is that he was still on the post as the ball was kicked - and it was shaking - so Gil and others' feeble justification of the umpire's gutless non-decision doesn't stack up.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's funny that it happened to *, but I reckon if it happened to us, I'd be as furious as Robbo was the other night on AFL360 (probably not as drunk at my workplace, but still furious).
I don’t think it was a deliberate attempt to shake the post. Sure, his deliberate action caused the post to shake but at the time the ump made the call he was just being a nuffty and handled it in the right way. To me this is just the footy media wanting a big story to talk about so they’ve blown it out of all proportion.

The guy was being a dick, the ump said stop being a dick and nothing about the game was affected.

But yeah, love seeing * fans sooking about it.

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don’t think it was a deliberate attempt to shake the post. Sure, his deliberate action caused the post to shake but at the time the ump made the call he was just being a nuffty and handled it in the right way. To me this is just the footy media wanting a big story to talk about so they’ve blown it out of all proportion.

The guy was being a dick, the ump said stop being a dick and nothing about the game was affected.

But yeah, love seeing * fans sooking about it.

That's not what the rules say. If that happened to us you'd be filthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back