Tom Boyd retires

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Unfortunately for some kids they find it hard being in the environment that they AFL is now..it’s not the same fun game they grew up playing, enjoying and loving! I talk to my 3 boys about this all the time. The AFL environment can be the furthest thing from fun and it’s nit for everyone. Good luck to the young man. I hope he gets enjoyment out of whatever he does next and that he is given support and some space to work out what next is

Feb 16, 2010
President of Terror Squad
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Wish him all the best with his life after footy, hopefully he can beat whatever is bothering him mental health wise or learn to live with it at least.

Instrumental in securing the dogs first afl flag and the first one 62 years between drinks, will go down as a bulldogs legend and will never have to buy another beer in his life whenever he's around bulldogs supporters.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It all clicked for him on the one day in his entire career where it mattered most. That's pretty cool.

If he never plays top level footy again, he still got paid craycray money to do what we all dream of: lift a premiership cup.

I suspect we haven't seen the last of him, though.

Still such a young man, the world is his oyster.

Wackajack

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2011
Darwin
AFL Club
Collingwood
I find it hard to believe everyone is just taking this on face value. As if he walked away from 2 million dollars without some pushing or prodding from the club. That's a lot of money to pay someone who can't get on the field.

Why do so many players struggle with their mental health? Do players use mental health to escape criticism for other possible activities they may be involved in? These are genuine questions that should be asked.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
I find it hard to believe everyone is just taking this on face value. As if he walked away from 2 million dollars without some pushing or prodding from the club. That's a lot of money to pay someone who can't get on the field.

Why do so many players struggle with their mental health? Do players use mental health to escape criticism for other possible activities they may be involved in? These are genuine questions that should be asked.

Poor post in my view

Wetdog

I really am Aker.
Jun 23, 2008
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
From memory we gave up Griffin (now retired), pick 6 (Marchbank?) and paid Boyd 4 or 5 million? That’s worth a flag every day of the week. Especially for a club who has won 2 flags in 95 years.

Thanks, Tom. Get better. And you will always one of the bulldog family.

BarryMorgan

Premiership Player
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Imagine how much tin foil $2 million could buy you...

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Danger went to Geelong to win flags, so far not even a GF appearance, but the publicity Geelong get through Danger wouldn’t have them too worried.
We got a Brownlow winner for picks 9 and 26. Nobody is going to knock that back.

I think that the difference between the Danger trade and the Franklin trade is that we still had salary cap space (and the right to keep trading) after the deal was done, and also that we have finally managed to solve the team structure issues that came with the deal.

Franklin, effectively, cost the Swans Malceski and Mumford, due to the salary cap squeeze. I'm not sure whether the subsequent loss of Mitchell could have been related? What seems more evident, though, is that since Tippett left, no other forward seems to have thrived at Sydney apart from Franklin. That could be a talent issue, but it seems that Sydney haven't quite worked out how to integrate the rest of their forward line system with Buddy.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda

Why wouldn’t we take his word for it? He has been pretty up front in the past about his battles with his mental health. He had made a choice that he needs to get out of his current circumstances in order to improve his life. He is obviously valuing that over cash and good on him. I just didn’t like that you automatically assumed anterior motives are at play

Wackajack

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2011
Darwin
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why wouldn’t we take his word for it? He has been pretty up front in the past about his battles with his mental health. He had made a choice that he needs to get out of his current circumstances in order to improve his life. He is obviously valuing that over cash and good on him. I just didn’t like that you automatically assumed anterior motives are at play

Call me a cynic fair enough.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Imagine the sort of professional help $2 millon could buy you for any mental issues you had.

Way to demonstrate your utter lack of knowledge of the subject mate. If your argument was true then wealthy people would not suffer mental health issues. But they do. This is a retirement thread, try to show some class.

Wackajack

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2011
Darwin
AFL Club
Collingwood
Way to demonstrate your utter lack of knowledge of the subject mate. If your argument was true then wealthy people would not suffer mental health issues. But they do. This is a retirement thread, try to show some class.

That's not the argument at all, the argument is that it can buy you better professional help than a salary of $50,000 can. Which is true.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Despite an early retirement he'll go down in history as a key reason why the premiership was won

No he wont. Was ordinary most of the season and just had some good games at the end of the season.

One of the worst trades ever done. Dogs might have multiple flags if they used that money on someone else and traded griffen for picks instead.

Discussing the merits of Boyds GF heroics im a thread about Tom Boyd is the definition of the right time and place. I named.3.of the most dominant GF performances in my life time as examples of better ones. One of them just happened to be a WC player and most pundits would have these 3 in their top 10 if not top 5. I then gave an example of a more contemporary one- widely regarded as among the best performamce in recent times. It happened tp be WC but that wasnt the point.
Fair dinkum some of you blokes are carrying on like this is an obituary.
Its the best for both parties Tom has done what he wants, the dogs get a slush fund to buy in top end talent from a guy who was never going to get back to his 2016 purple patch.
Its a win win and hopefully Tom finds some of the peace he is obvioisly seeking.

This thread was set up to acknowledge a premiership player who is retiring at the age of 23, 23 let that sink in for a minute. A member of a young, rag tag team who did the impossible three years ago and won all four finals as the rank outsider. You crash in and start talking about whose grand final game was better.

Tom Boyd has listened to shite like this all his playing career, he has had trolls on social media telling him he is/was a dud, didn’t deserve the money he was on, focused relentlessly on every mistake he ever made, commentators, fans opposition every ******* day. Please don’t make this another thread like this. He is gone, this will bet he last thread about him, Shuey is still playing, so just just ease up, please.

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
That's not the argument at all, the argument is that it can buy you better professional help than a salary of $50,000 can. Which is true.

Not if it’s the professional footy and all that goes along with it, that is a large driving factor in the depression, it isn’t.

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

It's hard to believe a 23 year old who has already been paid 5 million wouldnt keep doing something that he gets no enjoyment out of resulting in serious effects on both his physical and mental health for a few easy bucks?

GWS dodged a massive bullet.
yea GWS sure dodged a bullet from the guy they blew pick no.1 on and went on to nullify mumford in the 2016 prelim lmfao in a starring performance.

If taking 10 shots to the back of the head in the back barn = dodging a bullet, then GWS sure dodged bullets.

Back