Opinion Port Adelaide and their Prison Bars

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a debate thread currently on the FJGD board I am an active member on over the idea of Port Adelaide wearing their PBs for their 150th year in 2020.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/05...son-bar-jumper-for-150th-anniversary-russell/
Allegedly Port Adelaide will not return to their Prison Bar guernsey for their anniversary and may instead don a variant of their very first guernsey back in 1870, despite it only existing for a short period of time.

Was wondering what everybody on the Collingwood board who aren't necessarily into all the jumpers/graphics design stuff I am thought about the situation that has certainly put Port and Collingwood at odds over the years.

Personally, I would have no problem with Port Adelaide being allowed to wear their Prison Bars for Showdowns in any season, though I believe the full-time adoption of the Prison Bars is something the AFL wants to avoid in order to protect the brand Collingwood has already established and maintained.

There's a debate thread currently on the FJGD board I am an active member on over the idea of Port Adelaide wearing their PBs for their 150th year in 2020.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/05...son-bar-jumper-for-150th-anniversary-russell/
Allegedly Port Adelaide will not return to their Prison Bar guernsey for their anniversary and may instead don a variant of their very first guernsey back in 1870, despite it only existing for a short period of time.

Was wondering what everybody on the Collingwood board who aren't necessarily into all the jumpers/graphics design stuff I am thought about the situation that has certainly put Port and Collingwood at odds over the years.

Personally, I would have no problem with Port Adelaide being allowed to wear their Prison Bars for Showdowns in any season, though I believe the full-time adoption of the Prison Bars is something the AFL wants to avoid in order to protect the brand Collingwood has already established and maintained.
As long as Port have a third colour (teal or if they were gutsy their original magenta) involved no issues.

If it’s fully black and white, only in the SANFL.

As far as AFL is concerned they joined with Collingwood being THE ONLY black and white side.

The end.

As long as Port have a third colour (teal or if they were gutsy their original magenta) involved no issues.

If it’s fully black and white, only in the SANFL.

As far as AFL is concerned they joined with Collingwood being THE ONLY black and white side.

The end.
Yep, no other clubs in the comp share all the same shade of colours and design. Some are similar, but they're still distinctive both in shades (dark vs lighter blue) and designs.

Carlton / Geelong / North Melb - navy blue jumper (plus white monogram) / navy blue & white hoops / blue & white stripes​
Adelaide / Brisbane - navy blue, red & yellow hoops / blue, maroon & yellow​
StKilda / Essendon & Collingwood - the saints have a third colour​
I've read arguments that soccer teams in Europe share the same colours in the same comps, but they also play with a round ball and a rectangle pitch - irrelevant in terms of jumpers, but there's a point... just because any another code does something doesn't mean it's good for AFL.

Hmmm lets see...

We had the black and white colors first.

We had the black and white stripes first.

It was a condition to them joining the AFL that they wouldn't wear the black and white stripes.

They can * off.

Congrats to Port Celebrating 150 years in the SANFL.
I would not personally have an issue with them wearing Black and White for one match to celebrate this, but from the sound of things it is Geelong we should be asking.
Blue and White horizontal hoops.

Kind of fitting, Port and prison bars.

I wonder they don’t find that amusing.

I've read arguments that soccer teams in Europe share the same colours in the same comps, but they also play with a round ball and a rectangle pitch - irrelevant in terms of jumpers, but there's a point... just because any another code does something doesn't mean it's good for AFL.
I'm not necessarily familiar with the upbringing of soccer as a sport, but I'd imagine the culture surrounding and development of the sport (no state-level mergers) was different which allowed for similar uniforms. That being said you are totally right about the AFL not needing to adopt stuff from other sports. We already borrow enough.

I find it sad that Port have been in the AFL for a while, but are yet to embrace their colours and jumper - constantly bemoaning that they have to have teal in it. For god sake, embrace who and what you are. You wear teal.

Their latest iteration is probably one of the best Guernseys in the AFL and imo looks better then the prison bar gig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their latest iteration is probably one of the best Guernseys in the AFL and imo looks better then the prison bar gig.
I can only assume you’re referring to their main jumper, not that horrid grey rags thing they wear for some away games?

I'm not necessarily familiar with the upbringing of soccer as a sport, but I'd imagine the culture surrounding and development of the sport (no state-level mergers) was different which allowed for similar uniforms. That being said you are totally right about the AFL not needing to adopt stuff from other sports. We already borrow enough.
Without being a soccer fan I also wonder how much the structure such as promotion & relegation plays a part.

They can wear whatever they like for another 150 years in the SANFL.

Nah. Make them wear teal in the SANFL. Then they'll stop campaigning for it in the AFL, because their whole focus will be on wearing black and white in the SANFL.

It's a strange one.

Port Adelaide Power aren't the Port Adelaide Magpies. They are a separate entity created for the AFL competition with an agreement in place to avoid clashes with an existing entity in Collingwood.

Technically, they are only 22 years old. Not 150. I understand the sentiment, I really do and in the end, given it's only a one off season thing I don't take massive issue with it. As long as they wear their normal strip against us, I don't think it affects us negatively if they were black and white stripes for ONE season under strict conditions.

If anything, it just further enhances us in a way. Gets more people talking about us and keeps Collingwood front of mind as we are the black and white stripes.

Let the babies have their bottle.

It's a strange one.

Port Adelaide Power aren't the Port Adelaide Magpies. They are a separate entity created for the AFL competition with an agreement in place to avoid clashes with an existing entity in Collingwood.

Technically, they are only 22 years old. Not 150. I understand the sentiment, I really do and in the end, given it's only a one off season thing I don't take massive issue with it. As long as they wear their normal strip against us, I don't think it affects us negatively if they were black and white stripes for ONE season under strict conditions.

If anything, it just further enhances us in a way. Gets more people talking about us and keeps Collingwood front of mind as we are the black and white stripes.

Let the babies have their bottle.
Unless we and the AFL are going ti relent permanently, why would they want to wear it for a year? Why would those in charge want to continue to build the resentment that so many of their supporters seem to have for their own jumper? It just makes no sense to me.

Unless we and the AFL are going ti relent permanently, why would they want to wear it for a year? Why would those in charge want to continue to build the resentment that so many of their supporters seem to have for their own jumper? It just makes no sense to me.

The OP gave me the impression that it would be a season long thing as it's their anniversary.

The OP gave me the impression that it would be a season long thing as it's their anniversary.

I know. I'm just saying that Port are probably going to have to wear teal. It's time for them to embrace their jumper, rather than whinging about it. Coaches must struggle giving player rev ups - they can't talk about playing for the jumper, because the whole club seems to resent wearing their jumper. A whole year in another jumper is just going to increase their dislike of their current jumper when the year is over and they have to get back into it. Embrace the teal Port. It's your now and your future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back