News 2019 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WE can!
As fans of the club are we not all hoping for team success? Not for some slow burning high draft pick to get more than his worth
Just because he can!
Club doesn't have to pay it if they don't think he is worth it

It could be Coniglio money.

Some players are happy to be paid a modest amount for team success. Others just want all the money to themselves.

If he really demands 900k or leaves I’d be showing him the door.

isn't that what happened with goddard, and later later on we were gnashing our teeth.?

Club doesn't have to pay it if they don't think he is worth it
Exactly! Which will be an interesting exercise in itself!
Will the club follow the successful model of the clubs that encourage their stars to maybe take a wee less than is avail
On the open market to keep a young squad together on their road to success!

Or will the club bend over like it nearly always has and once again let the tail wag the dog?

Quick Edit With Goddard i personally consider it on a completely different basis because of his proven deeds for the club!
This is not the same in JB's case!

Billings had a good year in 2017 when he was - surprise, surprise - coming out of contract. He was very good, but not brilliant. He hadn't done a hell of a lot before hand other than a glimpse here and there, and in 2018 he was a mess. This year, in what is another contract year, he's turning it on again. I reckon we should offer him one year contracts on 750 grand, going up incrementally on a year by year performance based basis. He'll eventually get his 900K and us poor suffering bastards might finally get the gun player we all so desperately need and deserve.

Billings had a good year in 2017 when he was - surprise, surprise - coming out of contract. He was very good, but not brilliant. He hadn't done a hell of a lot before hand other than a glimpse here and there, and in 2018 he was a mess. This year, in what is another contract year, he's turning it on again. I reckon we should offer him one year contracts on 750 grand, going up incrementally on a year by year performance based basis. He'll eventually get his 900K and us poor suffering bastards might finally get the gun player we all so desperately need and deserve.

Kosi was the same, in his contract year he was pretty good, but after, not so good

Tom Morris said Billings is continuing to delay contract negotiations and some clubs may feel he could be convinced to leave. Morris believes Billings is more likely to stay at St Kilda but it’s not as clear cut as it seemed 3-4 weeks ago.

Apparently his Manager is holding out for a $900,000 pa contract. Morris also said Essendon are keen to deal with Billings.

ROFL LMAO

is he for real?

Essendon can't afford $900,000 plus. Connors is trying his usual ****.

oh yeah they can because they're paying a bunch of these blokes outside the cap. i mean look at the dylan shiel deal. they publicly admitted to him being paid outside the cap

Some players are happy to be paid a modest amount for team success. Others just want all the money to themselves.

i'd walk away tbh at 900k. something stinks.

I doubt he is holding the club to ransom. Club probably offers 700k, Conners makes public 900k and they settle in the middle at 800k.

They money needs to go somewhere. Dave's contract will be over (which has a large chunk), Robbo is looking likely to retire and he is on around 700k. Plus the potential of Stuv leaving, who is on around 900k.

It's not going to stop us getting anyone by paying our best performing player a decent chunk.

I’ll have to remind everyone, again, that this is likely a misconception.

Given our struggles to meet the cap minimum, and the desire to open up maximum cap space for Free Agents when we were supposed to be challenging, the likelihood of Armitage’s, Stuv’s et al’s contracts *not* being frontloaded is next to 0. As such, they’d most likely be on peanuts, so the retirement/trading of any of these players will probably have little effect on our salary cap position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'd walk away tbh at 900k. something stinks.

Same.

If Billings was at, say, GWS, I’d be hesitant (but accepting) to pay $900K to poach him, given that premium associated with enticing a player across, as well as the “St Kilda tax” for not being a big club, and being unsuccessful of late. I’d expect that this offer would be made on the expectation of 500-600K from his current club.

Since, in that scenario, Billings being offered 500-600K is to stay at a challenging side, I’d happily add 100K, or so. In other words, the most I’d pay him is $700K. He’s a good outside midfielder with only a third of a season of proper form. $900K would be an acceptable price if he either had a longer history of form, and/or was hitting the scoreboard regularly.

Let's let jb walk and then when he stars with another club you can all crap on about how dumb the club is.

If the club reckons he's worth $900k then they will pay it.

You're all happy to throw squillions at Kelly and Co, but when one of our best players wants a pay rise he's only playing well for his contract or holding the club to ransom.

FMD.

Last edited:
Let's let jb walk and then when he stars with another club you can all crap on about how dumb the club is.

You're all happy to throw squillions at Kelly and Co, but when one of our best players wants a Patrice he's only playing well for his contract or holding the club to ransom.

FMD.

He's is asking to be paid the sort of money top 20 players in the AFL get. Not far off Buddy and Boyd money for a guy who's ben very good this season but is no match winner yet. He's ben pretty well compensated to this point but still wants to be the top paid player at the club. There is a little bit of Luke Ball about it. Connors is an absolute dick, I reckon part of the issues Boyd had were exacerbated by the pressure the enormous money put on him. If he'd moved for less or stayed he probably would have had a long career and made more long term. That kind of "pay me or I'll walk" attitude is still a hard pill to swallow for most Aussie rules fans.

The term used my the media is "potentially up to 900k" which means, he isn't going to get 900k but that's where Conners wants to negotiate down from.

It will be around the 750-800k mark, which considering the salary cap increases that mean there will be at least 5-6 players at each club earning that money each year, it's not unreasonable and won't stop us from luring any big name players with a big contract.

The term used my the media is "potentially up to 900k" which means, he isn't going to get 900k but that's where Conners wants to negotiate down from.

It will be around the 750-800k mark, which considering the salary cap increases that mean there will be at least 5-6 players at each club earning that money each year, it's not unreasonable and won't stop us from luring any big name players with a big contract.

700k then chuck the bonuses on top of that is he hits where we think he can hit

You're all happy to throw squillions at Kelly and Co, but when one of our best players wants a Patrice he's only playing well for his contract or holding the club to ransom.

FMD.
Who is you all?
Haven't you been big on player loyalty and not ever letting someone hold the club to ransom by overinflating themselves before?
As we have so often done!
Sure we want our players well looked after which has also def not taken place far too often as well in the past!

But ultimately realistic evaluation and a nod to the body of work need to considered! He is not coming from a position of strength in that regard!
And i'm pretty sure the club have been very good to him so far, together with the high investment and faith the club has placed in him
Considering all that he and his manager need to be conscious of the Owing the club factor if you like! Which i'm hopeful Jack is!
As for his manager, well that's another story and a crappy one at that!

Come on, that’s drawing a pretty long bow. Pretty sure he is coming off a modest contract.

Connors may ask $900k, but at the end of the day they’ll meet somewhere in the middle. JB will also understand that in order to get success at the club they are going to need money to chase a big fish.

He’ll sign and it will be a fairly significant amount ( top 3 player for us this season) in line with players signing new contracts.

Think we are all getting a little hysterical over this.

Who is you all?
Haven't you been big on player loyalty and not ever letting someone hold the club to ransom by overinflating themselves before?
As we have so often done!
Sure we want our players well looked after which has also def not taken place far too often as well in the past!

But ultimately realistic evaluation and a nod to the body of work need to considered! He is not coming from a position of strength in that regard!
And i'm pretty sure the club have been very good to him so far, together with the high investment and faith the club has placed in him
Considering all that he and his manager need to be conscious of the Owing the club factor if you like! Which i'm hopeful Jack is!
As for his manager, well that's another story and a crappy one at that!
"you" as in posters who are constantly bagging the club for making stupid decisions about trades and drafting.

900k is fair imo

He's one of our best three players.

Is he holding our club to ransom, is he?

What a load of rubbish.

One minute people are stressing about losing him, now people are potting him because he's trying to maximise his income.

Pathetic actually.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back