Oppo Camp Tom Boyd retires

Some folks might wonder how this affects our mid season draft position? After all, it’s the mid-season draft that would be behind the timing of the announcement.

(Answer: it doesn’t - WB already had a pick in the first round)
The OP is a cautionary tale about clubs offering big contracts to young players. How do we know that this is the cause of Boyd’s mental health issues?

Apparently he forfeited 2 million dollars still on his contract.

Probably shows how serious his depression is, literally walked away from millions to escape Footy.
I can understand it.
Just because you are very good at something doesn't mean you love it, or even like it.
All the best to him, I hope he thrives after this huge decision.

Aussie pie

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
76ers
I worked in a school in west Footscray full of doggies supporters and the thought about Boyd and his worth was. Well worth the price even if he never played another game after the GF. Gotta agree with that.

At least they are about the Pies.
That’s a bit rich coming from you with your annual ‘Invasion Day’ threads...

The OP is a cautionary tale about clubs offering big contracts to young players. How do we know that this is the cause of Boyd’s mental health issues?
We don’t, and I specifically avoided saying it was the cause, if you’d bothered to actually read it properly.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
I note on AFL360 that the Boyd contract is apparently finished. So no more player payments to be in the Dogs cap.
Can I ask why, if Buddy retired tomorrow, his payments would still be in the Swans cap? Because the Swans were told that they would not be free of that impost even if he quit before the contract expired.
What is the difference?

That’s a bit rich coming from you with your annual ‘Invasion Day’ threads...
If people want to discuss Boyd then good on them. Your assumption in the OP is tenuous at best.

We don’t, and I specifically avoided saying it was the cause, if you’d bothered to actually read it properly.
“There were plenty who said that the pressure of expectation that comes with such a contract would get to him, and now it’s come to fruition.”

I note on AFL360 that the Boyd contract is apparently finished. So no more player payments to be in the Dogs cap.
Can I ask why, if Buddy retired tomorrow, his payments would still be in the Swans cap? Because the Swans were told that they would not be free of that impost even if he quit before the contract expired.
What is the difference?

Maybe retiring is one thing, and forfeiting any claim to $millions is another?

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
What is the difference?
Boyd transferred as a trade.

Franklin was traded under restricted free agency.
Because, Hawthorn was entitled to match the swans offer all of the contract must be included at all times.
Otherwise Hawthorn would be disadvantaged if there was changes later.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Boyd transferred as a trade.

Franklin was traded under restricted free agency.
Because, Hawthorn was entitled to match the swans offer all of the contract must be included at all times.
Otherwise Hawthorn would be disadvantaged if there was changes later.
Cheers.
Thought it was just the AFL being petty as Buddy didn’t end up at the Giants, as they believed he would.

"...
Tom Boyd leaves the game millions of dollars lighter than he might have, but without the onerous burden and invasive pressures that were triggered, in no small part, by the gargantuan contract that he signed when he became a Bulldog in October 2014.

Boyd's five-and-a-half year career was one of the game's most significant, given that it encompassed three major happenings in the AFL - the advent of long-term mega deals, the mental health pressures on modern players via relentless media and social media scrutiny and, finally, the unimaginable, glorious 2016 premiership of the Bulldogs...."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...oyd-s-unfulfilled-career-20190516-p51o7m.html

It's documented that he willingly walked away from millions in order to escape the scrutiny and expectation. We are all burdened by perceived or real expectation at some point.

"...
Tom Boyd leaves the game millions of dollars lighter than he might have, but without the onerous burden and invasive pressures that were triggered, in no small part, by the gargantuan contract that he signed when he became a Bulldog in October 2014.

Boyd's five-and-a-half year career was one of the game's most significant, given that it encompassed three major happenings in the AFL - the advent of long-term mega deals, the mental health pressures on modern players via relentless media and social media scrutiny and, finally, the unimaginable, glorious 2016 premiership of the Bulldogs...."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...oyd-s-unfulfilled-career-20190516-p51o7m.html

It's documented that he willingly walked away from millions in order to escape the scrutiny and expectation. We are all burdened by perceived or real expectation at some point.
Any quotes from Boyd?

Actual quote from Boyd - "My decision to retire now is a reflection of issues I've had over the past five years both with physical injury and with mental health, and they have now accumulated to a point where I just don’t have the desire to play or the enjoyment of the game I used to have," Boyd said in a statement.

Any quotes from Boyd?

No mate, so this could all be rampant speculation; I strongly suspect there's truth to it.

What's important? That Boyd gets well and recovers fully to live a healthy and happy life.:thumbsu::rainbow:

No mate, so this could all be rampant speculation; I strongly suspect there's truth to it.

What's important? That Boyd gets well and recovers fully to live a healthy and happy life.:thumbsu::rainbow:
Could be, who knows?

Actual quote from Boyd - "My decision to retire now is a reflection of issues I've had over the past five years both with physical injury and with mental health, and they have now accumulated to a point where I just don’t have the desire to play or the enjoyment of the game I used to have," Boyd said in a statement.

That doesn't dispute the assertion that his massive contract was a factor that led to this, does it?

That doesn't dispute the assertion that his massive contract was a factor that led to this, does it?
The part about issues over 5 years suggests it was a pre-existing condition

If people want to discuss Boyd then good on them. Your assumption in the OP is tenuous at best.
Did I hit a nerve? Sorry that mental health isn’t as important to you as something that happened over a century ago that can’t be changed.
“There were plenty who said that the pressure of expectation that comes with such a contract would get to him, and now it’s come to fruition.”
Theres nothing there that implied his contract was the root cause of his mental health issues. Just an acknowledgement that people predicted the expectation that comes with a giant unjustified contract could put significant pressure on him. Do you think that the scrutiny he was constantly under played no part in this? Even if it’s not the root cause it definitely wouldn’t have helped.

Back