Review Round 9 - Gold Coast @ Port Adelaide

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Wonder who for?
Showers forecast for Sunday. Interesting decision if it sets in.
From the interchange i assume Fiorini is coming in, Day won't come in if King's in, assuming Murdoch isn't being dropped plus McLennen won't also make his debut so one of Brodie, GHS or Joyce will miss out.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Port are missing 8 of their best 10 players? If there was ever a time to strike when a team is vulnerable, this is it!

Wet weather suits our scrappy style of play and I'm starting to become more optimistic about our chances on Sunday.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
How did you know it’s a heel? He hasn’t seemed his usual self for a few weeks now so I’m sort of glad in a way that there is an explanation.
On AFL.com Boddsy, I do agree he hasn’t seen himself lately but I believe the injury was suffered in W.A

EDIT: I see your question has already been answered

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Port are missing 8 of their best 10 players? If there was ever a time to strike when a team is vulnerable, this is it!

Wet weather suits our scrappy style of play and I'm starting to become more optimistic about our chances on Sunday.
Seriously, if we can't beat Port with 8 of their top 10 players missing, then it really is time to wonder about our team structure and some of the players who get automatically picked each week. If it's wet, not sure whether that helps or hinders but guess we'll see soon.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Seriously, if we can't beat Port with 8 of their top 10 players missing, then it really is time to wonder about our team structure and some of the players who get automatically picked each week. If it's wet, not sure whether that helps or hinders but guess we'll see soon.
Good point. A heavily loss in this one would be a wake up call as to how far away we really are from the top 8.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Shocked to see Mclennan in the extended side, hopefully its a sign that he's closer to a debut than I thought!
I really doubt McLennan is playing. With the 2s on a bye this week I think this might be more a chance to show him how the travel interstate works? And he gets to go home tool.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I know the club is desperate to play Ben King, but seems a strange game for him to debut in. It's going to be wet which will make it hard for him. Even harder given the Port defenders are quite good, and it's an away game.

Reminds me when we threw Mac Willis to the wolves in his debut game - played back pocket against Geelong down in Geelong. We lost by near a hundred points. Stuff like that does not help development.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
The notion that Port is missing so many of their best 12 players is a bit of an exaggeration.

I would put these guys in their best 12 that are playing this week:

Boak, Rocky, SPP, Houston, Clurey, Howard, Westhoff.

Their midfield is largely still intact, which is what will get us this week.

I do agree though that this is probably our best chance to get them.

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders

If we get pumped then yeah sure, but seems like a bit of an overreaction considering we are sitting 3-5 and outside of 2 performances that structure has really held up better than expected.
We are a young team travelling to a ground we have never won at before? against a team that has won 9 straight against us, possibly in the wet. And their midfield is still very strong (Lycett, Boak, SPP, Rockliff) which is an area we are still inconsistent in.

If we leave Adelaide Sunday night with a win I’ll be ecstatic.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If we get pumped then yeah sure, but seems like a bit of an overreaction considering we are sitting 3-5 and outside of 2 performances that structure has really held up better than expected.
We are a young team travelling to a ground we have never won at before? against a team that has won 9 straight against us, possibly in the wet. And their midfield is still very strong (Lycett, Boak, SPP, Rockliff) which is an area we are still inconsistent in.

If we leave Adelaide Sunday night with a win I’ll be ecstatic.
I believe we beat Port in Adelaide in 2011 :)

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The notion that Port is missing so many of their best 12 players is a bit of an exaggeration.

I would put these guys in their best 12 that are playing this week:

Boak, Rocky, SPP, Houston, Clurey, Howard, Westhoff.

Their midfield is largely still intact, which is what will get us this week.

I do agree though that this is probably our best chance to get them.
I believe Port is the best team in the league for I50 differential. Our defence could be under even more pressure than usual. 100% chance showers, 2-10mm -> just move ball forward by any way as quickly as possible. Brodie in for me in wet. I would expect King named in starting line-up if he was to debut. No video on Suns site either (yet).

Back