Betting Websites - Free And Bonus Betting Offers

Feb 18, 2008
Nowra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Odds boost would avoid the legislation, possibly loyalty programs. LPs would be a grey area based on this guideline

"The operators will also be prohibited from providing so-called "free bets" to customers on the condition that the winnings cannot be withdrawn and must be used to continue betting. "

You can redeem your points for free bets but then the turnover conditions kick in, so not really sure as it's essentially the customers choice to take the free bet for points

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
Would be happy if all bonus bets/free bets were banned if it left the corporates with price as their main way to be competitive in the market place.

Bonus bets/money back/deposit matches only encourages recreational punters to bet on races they wouldnt have, and usually bet more than they otherwise would. Corporates offer customers more than they should knowing that they will be able to find another Corp to give them what they want.

Most corporates and punters would be better off long term if the $100’s+million burnt in the industry each year went towards lower % markets.

The UK experience suggests that won't happen - the pricing will remain terrible.

Taking away these offers is unambiguously terrible for punters across the board and actually makes most people WORSE off - not that the legislators would have a clue in this area.

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
The UK experience suggests that won't happen - the pricing will remain terrible.

Taking away these offers is unambiguously terrible for punters across the board and actually makes most people WORSE off - not that the legislators would have a clue in this area.
Bonus bets/offers/promos don’t help punters though. You only get them if you’re losing long term and are purely designed to give punters false hope that they are doing better than they are in reality. Corporates may be able to hide behind the POC tax as a reason for leaving prices high, but it will only take one to lower to set the chain in motion.

These laws aren’t as big a change as the headline suggests, but it is coming, along with changes to min bet laws.

The industry can’t sustain the path it’s currently on, which is terrible considering it’s consistent growth. Many predict in 10 years we’ll be left with only Sportsbet and TAB. Punters truly would be screwed then.

Bonus bets/offers/promos don’t help punters though. You only get them if you’re losing long term and are purely designed to give punters false hope that they are doing better than they are in reality. Corporates may be able to hide behind the POC tax as a reason for leaving prices high, but it will only take one to lower to set the chain in motion.

They do help punters - let's face it 99% of punters are losers and these things help them to lose less quickly than they otherwise would.

The corps are a classic oligopoly set up - they aren't going to cheat on each other to gain market share. The UK has had this system in place for years and it hasn't happened.

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
They do help punters - let's face it 99% of punters are losers and these things help them to lose less quickly than they otherwise would.

The corps are a classic oligopoly set up - they aren't going to cheat on each other to gain market share. The UK has had this system in place for years and it hasn't happened.
You’re right, and they do help some to lose less, but some also lose more, especially on deposit matches. They deposit more than they would just to get the maximum ‘matched bonus’.

I think they absolutely will, and already are putting the squeeze on each other here. TAB has pushed hard for the POC tax as it affects the online corps more than them, and Sportsbet continue to push promotions and offers (the election last week an example) that they know the other corps will have to try and match, knowing that all the others can’t afford to with such a smaller turnover.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I heard on the news here that in the state government budget that they would be introducing a point of consumption tax on gambling in Tasmania. Not sure of the details but can't be good news. The Feds take away their GST so they dip into the pockets of the racing industry instead.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Just saw an ad from pointsbet about paying out on first 2 goals scored. Anyone used this? Are they good to deal with or dodgy?

First two goals scored doesn’t happen as often as you’d think. It was only 1-2 times a round for the first 4 rounds before I gave up on seeing if it was actually worth it.

Apr 16, 2007
Warragul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
First two goals scored doesn’t happen as often as you’d think. It was only 1-2 times a round for the first 4 rounds before I gave up on seeing if it was actually worth it.

Ive got no doubt that it would be easy to make profit with this promotion I guess Im asking if they ban you very quickly or if you can get a good run at it??

Feb 18, 2008
Nowra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ive got no doubt that it would be easy to make profit with this promotion I guess Im asking if they ban you very quickly or if you can get a good run at it??

I guess it depends, but can only speak for my experience.

- They cold called me to join with a 2K matched deposit bonus. So I joined on a Friday.
- Had some trots bets Fri night, and a couple at the Valley. No promos
- Had 20 or so bets Sat on all Metro and some Prov races. Average bets size $100
- 6 of the bets (Syd / Melb metro) had some lame M/B 2nd promo. Wasn't betting for the promo, was betting because they were Syd / Melb metro . The promo just happened to be on those races. No promos won. No arbing, straight punting.
- Got a message mid afternoon Sat to say promos now cancelled for excessive use. 6 of 30 bets had promos and none won.
- Called them Monday and asked why excessive and to review. They said go away, decision stands.
- Turned over rest of cash required and withdrew to never return.

Back