Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Jul 20, 2018
A win is he’s worth a high first rounder and the most we give up is a second

Hypothetically

If we trade down our first.... for 2 x seconds?

Plus our existing second...

Plus a high first / second for Langdon IF he decides to leave

Could be similar to the eagles stack of seconds they went to the draft with a few years back. Ohh and we will have Henry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
North Beach. AIK Stockholm
Interesting. Not sure I am happy with us carrying out underhanded tactics if true.

If he is worthy of a top 10 pick then just do what the other academy's do and trade out our first for value.

Can’t agree with Freo strategy if there is truth to all this.
The way the WAFL clubs pay for development is by producing draft talent- if an AFL club leans on a smaller club to ‘hide’ a player that is pretty low.
In the case of Jason Carter - who knows, he was projecting to be a pick anywhere from 20 -60 .... Freo got him for nothing, he was taken to Peel essentially a year early to be developed - all to the detriment of his WAFL club.

I want Freo to get a great player but not at the expense of the WAFL clubs - we have first dibs priority and a we get a discount- isn’t that enough without screwing our feeder talent resources???

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Spoke to someone down at Claremont today

Keps is also a coach down there

Freo and the club are constantly fighting as FFC are wanting Liam to play colts only, and play intermittently, or only a few quarters - with the obvious intent to hide him

FWIW - keps and my mate thinks he could / should be top 10 pick

He has definitely been playing less time than he can, and multiple watchers have commented that the inexplicable periods/quarters where he doesn't play appears to be related to him being very deliberately managed, but I had thpught that that was maybe a conflict between WAFL and PSA rather than Freo and WAFL?

I just can't imagine that the club is going to be able to hide him; he will play U18s and the state team will expect him to play a part. Most of the vic watchers on the draft threads have now seen the online footage and have him in the top 30-40 players and real recruiters will have seen more - the only thing they will be doing by trying to hide him is waste valuable opportunities to hone his craft.

He has definitely been playing less time than he can, and multiple watchers have commented that the inexplicable periods/quarters where he doesn't play appears to be related to him being very deliberately managed, but I had thpught that that was maybe a conflict between WAFL and PSA rather than Freo and WAFL?

I just can't imagine that the club is going to be able to hide him; he will play U18s and the state team will expect him to play a part. Most of the vic watchers on the draft threads have now seen the online footage and have him in the top 30-40 players and real recruiters will have seen more - the only thing they will be doing by trying to hide him is waste valuable opportunities to hone his craft.
Not gonna lie, happy the two guys that have seen him just the once instantly put him 30 odd on their draft thread.

If its true, Freo must think we have a gun in the making and they are doing whatever they can to cheapen that price. Mah gawd I cant wait for the Champs to start and we can watch him in full

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
Spoke to someone down at Claremont today

Keps is also a coach down there

Freo and the club are constantly fighting as FFC are wanting Liam to play colts only, and play intermittently, or only a few quarters - with the obvious intent to hide him

FWIW - keps and my mate thinks he could / should be top 10 pick

His knee has been bandaged heavily in the last few games I’ve seen..

I certainly don’t want to see a long term injury for short term gain.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Can’t agree with Freo strategy if there is truth to all this.
The way the WAFL clubs pay for development is by producing draft talent- if an AFL club leans on a smaller club to ‘hide’ a player that is pretty low.

The WAFC gets that money now as part of the arrangement of them funding the colts comp.

His knee has been bandaged heavily in the last few games I’ve seen..

I certainly don’t want to see a long term injury for short term gain.
I was about to mention this.

Rest him as much as required to keep him safe, play him as much as he can to develop as much as possible.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Having said that, Carter is dominating for Peel and we got him as a Cat B rookie...
I can't say that I am unhappy with them having some input to how the players are used at a lower level. FFC has a totally different agenda to what their wafl club does, but I doubt if we would sacrifice an NGA member's development in order to get a draft day discount.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I know a WC recruiting spotter. There's no hiding the NGA guys, at least from WC.
Do you think Rookie list was fair value for Carter?

By the way, I don't think Carter was "hidden" per se. It is more that clubs are not going to bid fair value for Academy kids. I think they will only ever bid when that player represents a significant bargain.

Those kids have already spent 3 years aligned to a club where they have built relationships, and have their immediate future planned out. Often they are coming from marginalised sections of the community and have family/social support around them. Just as we would be unlikely to up-root some Sudanese kid on a Melbourne club's Academy and relocate him to Perth, most club's won't do it with our Academy kids.

Nov 28, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
none
For what it’s worth, I’ve seen Liam Henry a couple of years ago playing a bit of muck around backyard basketball. I was awestruck with what he could do with the ball in his hand. I’ve got the feeling he could be a once in a generational type player. I think we may have struck gold with Liam.

For what it’s worth, I’ve seen Liam Henry a couple of years ago playing a bit of muck around backyard basketball. I was awestruck with what he could do with the ball in his hand. I’ve got the feeling he could be a once in a generational type player. I think we may have struck gold with Liam.
1558055737819.png

If Liam is a generational player I hope he doesn't show it until the end of the second season at Fremantle so nobody changes the rules on us.

Maybe cat-fish for a year after we draft him as well so we can get through the draft with Western and the Walker twins.

Zurgblade

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I didn't ask about Carter.

He was nothing but praise for Henry. We didn't discuss where he might go, it's not his place to say either.

I've seen a number of scouts watching games lately and they all seem to be taking pages of notes. Are they generally assigned one player to watch or do they take notes on many players?

What are the main characteristics they report on?

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

Academy players get a triple discount.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Academy players get a triple discount.
I think they do, and think our guys perhaps even more so (bidding on aligned player from Tasmania going to a Victorian club is pretty different from bidding on Carter to move interstate imo).
  • the AFL discount
  • the "don't want to bid on a player, because after the bid is matched it sends the message to the player you end up picking that they aren't your first choice" discount
  • the "we put more time into scouting players not part of NGAs because they are realistic options for us" discount
I do think clubs should bid if a player represents great value though. And in that vein, I also think that sometimes clubs should strategically bid if they are sure the bid will be matched.

Back