2020 celebrations

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Just wondering whether the Club may interview past greats and post them on the website next year.

maybe one per week over the whole year.

I came up with a quick list of potential interviewees - many of them greats, some larrikins we loved, some a bit of both!

Sadly many who would have made fascinating targets to talk to are no longer with us (Big Bob, Fos, Davey Boyd, Light, Bob Quinn, and so forth). We should make those that are still with us a priority to gat their thoughts, anecdotes, funny stories, highlight, inspirational times and what the Club means to them in manageable 30 minute one-on-ones with Danial Norton, Timmy G, Bazza Curtin, etc before they too depart us.

Of course some you could talk to for hours!!!!!

Off the top of my head I came up with:

Abernathy
Greg Anderson
R Ebert - for himself and all his family
Chicken Hayes
Greg Boyd - for Dave, Russell and himself
Craig Bradley
Peter Burgoyne - for himself, his bro and dad
Jack Cahill - for him and Darrell
Mark & Steve Williams - for themselves and the whole family
Warren Tredrea - for himself and dad
Greg Phillips
Martin Leslie
Darren Smith
Bucky Cunningham
Timmy G
Mark Clayton - for himself and Bob
Bomber Clifford
Gavin Wanganeen
Andrew Obst - for himselt, Ken, Peter and Trevor
Roger Delaney
Paul Norhteast
Tim Evans
Scott Hodges
George Fiacchi
Steven Carter
Eric Freeman
David Grainger
Ian Hannaford
Geof Motley
Peter Woite
David Hutton
Greg Boulton
Peter Mead
Kym Kinnear
Brian Leys
Jeff Potter
Rohan Smith
Paul Rizonico
Michael Wilson
Ron Elleway
Roger James
Byron Pickett
Bob Philp
Chad and Kane Cornes
Bruce Nyland
Steve Summeron
Jeremy Clayton

Reckon it would be great listening !!!!!!

Just wondering whether the Club may interview past greats and post them on the website next year.

maybe one per week over the whole year.

I came up with a quick list of potential interviewees - many of them greats, some larrikins we loved, some a bit of both!

Sadly many who would have made fascinating targets to talk to are no longer with us (Big Bob, Fos, Davey Boyd, Light, Bob Quinn, and so forth). We should make those that are still with us a priority to gat their thoughts, anecdotes, funny stories, highlight, inspirational times and what the Club means to them in manageable 30 minute one-on-ones with Danial Norton, Timmy G, Bazza Curtin, etc before they too depart us.

Of course some you could talk to for hours!!!!!

Off the top of my head I came up with:

Abernathy
Greg Anderson
R Ebert - for himself and all his family
Chicken Hayes
Greg Boyd - for Dave, Russell and himself
Craig Bradley
Peter Burgoyne - for himself, his bro and dad
Jack Cahill - for him and Darrell
Mark & Steve Williams - for themselves and the whole family
Warren Tredrea - for himself and dad
Greg Phillips
Martin Leslie
Darren Smith
Bucky Cunningham
Timmy G
Mark Clayton - for himself and Bob
Bomber Clifford
Gavin Wanganeen
Andrew Obst - for himselt, Ken, Peter and Trevor
Roger Delaney
Paul Norhteast
Tim Evans
Scott Hodges
George Fiacchi
Steven Carter
Eric Freeman
David Grainger
Ian Hannaford
Geof Motley
Peter Woite
David Hutton
Greg Boulton
Peter Mead
Kym Kinnear
Brian Leys
Jeff Potter
Rohan Smith
Paul Rizonico
Michael Wilson
Ron Elleway
Roger James
Byron Pickett
Bob Philp
Chad and Kane Cornes
Bruce Nyland
Steve Summeron
Jeremy Clayton

Reckon it would be great listening !!!!!!
Thats quite a list! Bucky James and Wilson I would love to listen to.

I'd start with the guys who played in the 1950's before they drop off the perch. I think only a dozen players of the 50 odd ho played in at least one of the 7 premiership are left. I don't think any player who played seniors in the 1940's is alive, but if so, get to him ASAP. Same with anyone who played juniors and got to play reserves in the 1940's. It would be interesting listening to them as the club went through a bit of turmoil the 2 years before Fos got there in 1950.

KT revealed a few things in the video below but being a lazy bastard will cut and paste what the Tsier wrote rather than type it up myself

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/ad00f94b9d51d20b1675e557f2c4699f
It comes as chief executive Keith Thomas has revealed a range of initiatives for next year’s celebrations of the club’s heritage, which include:

DESIGNING a commemorative logo, which honours both the Magpies and the Power

RELEASING a documentary

ISSUING a leather-bound book chronicling the history of the club

APPLYING to play a home anniversary game on May 24, exactly 150 years since the club first took on the “Young Australians” at Glanville, and

REDEVELOPING the Port Club, turning it into an interactive museum that will allow visitors to immerse themselves into the history of the club.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/ad00f94b9d51d20b1675e557f2c4699f

Logo

The first issue was to come up with a logo that reflected both the SANFL and AFL history of Port Adelaide.

“Most significantly is we’re going to build a commemorative logo,” Thomas told the club’s website. “Now that may not sound like a lot but when you think of the club since 1997 when we came into the AFL it really has been presented as two different identities — the Magpies and the Power.

“We’ve had some monumental struggles since 1997 to bring the club back together. “We think the 150th year will be a great opportunity to actually present the club, via a commemorative logo, as one again for the first time since we’ve been in the AFL. “We think that’s a really significant moment.”

Port Club / Museum

And the board had approved an upgrade of the Port Club to celebrate the history of Port Adelaide.

“That’s going to be a very, very special day for us,” Thomas said. “And the board has approved the redevelopment of the Port Club into a really modern bistro-type space where we can actually pay homage to the history of Port Adelaide.

“It will be very much a historical immersion into the club. “It will be something not only for Port Adelaide people but football followers around Australia will love to come and see.”

DESIGNING a commemorative logo, which honours both the Magpies and the Power
This will be interesting. I'm hoping the logo is something in black and white that includes the words "Port Adelaide" or "PAFC".

The clubs logos need to be unified soon I reckon.

New logo … needs to be modern to appease kids but also traditional to match our club's age as well. Quite tricky I think. The Power logo is good and let's not forget that it was also designed with our history in mind, and it is liked by kids, but it doesn't strike me as a logo of a traditional club. I've always had a battle with it because I like it but it is too modern. It will be interesting what they come up with and whether it will be for the long-term or just the year.

For those past greats that are no longer with us, they could still have interviews of them from the past, and they could interview the current family members who may have good memories to share.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

APPLYING to play a home anniversary game on May 24, exactly 150 years since the club first took on the “Young Australians” at Glanville
Here is where the blue-white-hoop guernsey comes in. It makes sense.

Great concep of what hoops may look like if we wear it on may 24...
It does look good, indeed!

All I know is that it's going to cost a bloody fortune!

I am guessing at least 3 special guernseys, hopefully framed. Just to start!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back