FTA-TV Survivor 38 'Edge of extinction'

Remove this Banner Ad

So Chris who was voted out a month earlier (and has since been sitting on the beach doing sweet F all with the jury members) and hasn't played the game beats a player, Gavin, who never had one single vote cast against him and managed to be on the right side of the numbers continually deserves it?

Chris did everything right at the end and I commend that but he should not be sole survivor. It's totally bogus!
Gavin did well to win two individual immunity challenges and to be aware enough of the numbers to make it to the end but IMO it's not like he was some super player for never getting a vote against him - part of it is that he wasn't a big enough threat to attract votes. He also voted for someone who wasn't eliminated 3 times plus a tied vote so 'managed to be on the right side of the numbers' is a little hollow achievement to me (plenty of luck and not being a big target as much as social relationships and awareness.)

One problem at the end was that the jury wanted to reward big game play but all the players who made big moves then became targets and didn't survive, except Chris who only had to survive a very short time.

Very telling that neither of the top 2 actually had their 'closest ally' (based on FTC answers) vote for them at FTC. Rick voted for Gavin and Victoria voted for Chris.

Yes I feel they let him back in too late. And then the extra boost of the idol is perhaps too big an advantage to give them as well. It kept Chris in the game this time.

If they came back in at say the final 7/8 for example, then that’s still plenty of game play to navigate to get through. But coming back in at the final 5, with and idol, I’m not so sure.
Agree Chris came back in too late but there were 5 left plus him once he was back so your description of it being final 5 is misleading. Also he didn't just get gifted an idol, he got one that couldn't be used first up and that he had to give half of it to someone with no guarantee of getting it back.

So yet again someone makes the final 3 and gets 0 votes. How do we feel about that?

Should we revert to a final 2 (and an odd number of jury members)?

When did they go from a final 2 to a final 3?

Hmm, frustrating season. Found myself cheering for Gavin like I normally do for good social players. He didn't have a chance though. Such a stacked deck for Chris, whose name just took me literally 30 seconds to remember..that's sad. Getting through that first tribal was impressive, but I can't believe how short sighted Lauren was. The fire move was great too. Do you think he did that on the back of Ghost Island - the last season they'd seen - where Dom didn't do that, which therefore cost him his best chance of winning? (if my memory serves me correctly)

Should have seen it coming, how many times did they show Chris talking about wanting to play the perfect game. Now he's won it with a very imperfect game.

Maybe that's where Chris got his inspiration from but bolded is a little harsh on Dom - even though he didn't give up his immunity to go to fire against Wendall he still had a pretty good chance of winning considering it initially went to a tied vote. Without the producers having done a fire making challenge between them at the reunion we will probably never know whether Dom would have won a fire challenge so don't know if that was a better chance for him.

So yet again someone makes the final 3 and gets 0 votes. How do we feel about that?

Mixed feelings for me. I wouldn't have voted for Julie but she was IMO more deserving then some 3rd placers. Terrible social / emotional game but at least won a couple of individual immunity challenges.

While I’m a fan of s39 theme, because it will be an all new cast and be split randomly. Plus I don’t mind having two people to assist with the game. I just think they’d picked two people that don’t need a bigger ego boost within the game.
Martin Holmes's post below probably answers that, though if the rumours of an All-Winner season for 40 are true, its probably also a case of mythology building for newer viewers.

Martin Holmes @RedmondSurvivor

I can't stop laughing every time I remember that this was the first season where Probst was fully in charge of casting... and he found a way to bring back Rob and built a shrine to him. You just can't make that s**t up.
1f605.png

So people think it’s a great thing for Survivor to have some random barely seen in the whole series apart from being voted out and then reading his own letter to himself wins?

He plays the game for one episode on screen and wins. Who even remembered him?

I tell you who. The jury who he was cuddling up to on the beach for a month whilst others were playing the game Survivor.

Chris shouldn’t have even had the opportunity to make it back in at the end imo. Once Devens made it back into the game everyone left over should have been sent packing and then they start again from merge. Everyone should have had only one shot to get back in but in reality Reem, Chris and Aubrey had two (Wendy and Keith as well had they not quit).

Agree Chris came back in too late but there were 5 left plus him once he was back so your description of it being final 5 is misleading. Also he didn't just get gifted an idol, he got one that couldn't be used first up and that he had to give half of it to someone with no guarantee of getting it back.

My mistake, final 6 I meant. Not 5.

I still feel that was too late in the picture, and the added bonus of the idol is a bit too much. Being back in the game and having that opportunity after being voted out should be reward enough for me.

I think the fact there is consistently a 0 vote placer in the final 3 is actually an argument FOR keeping the final 3, and really why the final 3 was brought in. They don't want the 0 vote placer being part of a final 2. The way it used to be, the final 3 immunity winner would normal vote out the second best player. Having three increases the chances of having two strong vote getters in the final, instead of a 9 (or 13 or whatever) -0 whitewash. The fire at final four is another way they are trying to keep the strongest players in the final tribal.

So people think it’s a great thing for Survivor to have some random barely seen in the whole series apart from being voted out and then reading his own letter to himself wins?

He plays the game for one episode on screen and wins. Who even remembered him?

I tell you who. The jury who he was cuddling up to on the beach for a month whilst others were playing the game Survivor.

Yeah the main problem I had with the EoE twist was the fact that the majority of the jury was from EoE, so its pretty easy for them to band together and make a pact that if any of them get to final 3, vote for them. They either needed to stop EoE post merge, or at least reduce the jury somehow.

here's an idea - 20 players whose parents are dead, that have no siblings, no partner and no kids

just one season without a sob story please

Can I apply - one parent dead (the other is still alive @ 82yo), no kids, no wife, brother and sister I rarely see.

Have a Survivor buff from this US season.

here's an idea - 20 players whose parents are dead, that have no siblings, no partner and no kids

Because these guys being human is so ******* annoying

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe that's where Chris got his inspiration from but bolded is a little harsh on Dom - even though he didn't give up his immunity to go to fire against Wendall he still had a pretty good chance of winning considering it initially went to a tied vote. Without the producers having done a fire making challenge between them at the reunion we will probably never know whether Dom would have won a fire challenge so don't know if that was a better chance for him.
Didn't mean any disrespect to Dom, if he'd lost at fire we'd have been saying that it was a bad move. But I just meant that if he had beaten Wendell at fire, it would have been his *best* chance at winning, as he would have beaten Laurel and whoever else in a landslide. By going up against Wendell he had a very good chance and I still wanted him to win, but it wasn't his best chance.

Can I apply - one parent dead (the other is still alive @ 82yo), no kids, no wife, brother and sister I rarely see.

Have a Survivor buff from this US season.

NO. NO. NO. Me first! Both my parents are dead. I have no kids, no wife. I no longer communicate with three of my siblings who I will never see again. (I do have another brother, but he's now a Trump Republican so I'm disowning him.) I also have no friends and I'm old, so I won't have another chance.

I have a buff from Survivor: Thailand from 2002. And most importantly: I HAVE AN AUTOGRAPHED PIC OF THE SURVIVOR GODDESS SUE HAWK!!!!!

My only drawback is that I'd have to use my walker on the island to get around. Oh yeah, I don't swim and I do take steroids. For my heart. That should be OK, don't ya think? :think:

Yeah the main problem I had with the EoE twist was the fact that the majority of the jury was from EoE, so its pretty easy for them to band together and make a pact that if any of them get to final 3, vote for them. They either needed to stop EoE post merge, or at least reduce the jury somehow.

The easy thing to do would have been to kick everyone out of EoE when Devins came back, then start again from the remaining contestants if need be. No way players should have had TWO chances to make it back. I have yet to see a good explanation on any forum for players being on the jury having spent a month with the winner and 0 days with the other final 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back