Review Dees v Weagles - the Good, the Bad and the ugly with a cameo appearance from WCE Icon Ben Cousins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Only thing that really bothered me was the missed chances at goal. Which ultimately lost the game for them. But when the team plays like this then this is the team I want to watch.

I would like to see them switch Garlett into the midfield for bursts. I think they did that in the third quarter with some real impact. There is a forward line in this team I think. The coaches have just got to work it out.

The make up of the back line is going to be a severe headache later this year.

Only thing that really bothered me was the missed chances at goal. Which ultimately lost the game for them. But when the team plays like this then this is the team I want to watch.

I would like to see them switch Garlett into the midfield for bursts. I think they did that in the third quarter with some real impact. There is a forward line in this team I think. The coaches have just got to work it out.

The make up of the back line is going to be a severe headache later this year.
Unlike the prelim we can actually review the tape from tonight and learn a lot. Hopefully that one really stings, must feel like s**t to travel and put in the effort and play better football but lose because you can't execute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with schmuttt, Petracca was a liability and has been all season, he needs to be dropped.

Good: played our brand. McDonald, Gawn, Salem, Jones, Hore (Lever mach 2)
Bad: Petracca, Gartlett, Frost, Viney, Bray shaw, bandwagon channel 7 commentators
Ugly: umpiring in last quarter, our kicking for goal, delivery into forward 50 (AGAIN! Is our team full of idiots who don't listen or is it the coaches?)

Is it absolutely necessary to close the GDT 7 seconds after the game has finished?

Good
At least we played some decent football for more than 5 minutes tonight. Some genuinely good passages of play against a decent team.
Hunt, Salem, Hore, Harmes, Gawn, Frost (despite standard horror mistake) were good.
Baker showed a bit, enough to wonder why Stretch has been getting a game ahead of him.
TMac was moving and contesting well, finally.

Bad
Kicking... we keep giving the ball away for fun.
The umpiring - yada yada no point complaining about the umps. No, they made some absolute howlers. We butchered plenty of chances, but they also played their part in the result.
4th quarter - some players might have run out of legs, but once the Weagles got a roll on we didn't put up much resistance.

Ugly
Garlett, Trac, TMac - just wasting chances left, right and centre. Could have been 8 goals ahead at half time.
Stretch's delivery - awful, particularly when you don't have much else to offer as an AFL player.
Fritsch's delivery - awful, gone from one of our best users to one of our worst tonight.
Tim Smith - hears imaginary whistles.
We just keep dumping it long into the forward line, no matter the result. Hurn, McGovern and Cole 32 marks between them.

What poor execution. Should have been a 6-8 goal win, ends up a 3 goal loss.

Still, some promising signs and hopefully this helps build some confidence.

Good:
- Gawn continuing to improve in the ruck and coordinate with the mids;
- McDonald starting to get some marks and movement (straighten that kicking please);
- Harmes continuing to lift;
- Frost tackle on Petrucelle;
- Perhaps some life still in this twitching corpse, despite the massive injury list.

Bad:
- Petracca: his stupidly high ball drop needs to be fixed, as does his butter fingers. Should have had 4-5 goals, wasted opportunity to tear the game apart;
- Salem: garbage tonight, lot of frees given away;
- Viney: getting some movement back but continues to sell teammates into trouble with his crummy handpasses;
- Nibbler: for such a fit bloke, has rubbish agility to go with his atrocious decision making. Or maybe WC has offered him a contract for 2020 already and he is kicking the ball to them;
- Jones had a lot of fizzers tonight...ugh.

Ugly:
- Tim Smith's zombie stance...what the hell was that? Crowd was not even that loud, guy stood there like a mute;
- Flying Ryan posterising Gawn for mark of the year;
- Frost fumbling around the goals and the Eagles opponent toe-poking a goal;
- Disgusting kicking for goal;
- Fritsch has gone to poo...guy's kicking was incredible last year, he must be hanging out with Nibbler too much;
- That sick feeling late in the 3rd quarter that Meth Coke would steal this one...like the first two Geelong matches in 2018;
- No one smashing the Eagles after all the Eagles gave Gawn lip after Ryan's mark.

The team need to watch videos of Hurn and Willie Rioli's kicking technique the whole week.

Last edited:
Hopefully that one really stings, must feel like **** to travel and put in the effort and play better football but lose because you can't execute.
Nothing really stings. We’ve done this time and again with nothing learnt. We exist, therefore we are.

What did he do well aside from his first goal?

Handball for Hunt's goal was good. He was like a lonely fat kid on a seesaw constantly swinging from one end to the other in terms of his effectiveness all night. About the only good kick Garlett had for the game (other than his set shot from 40) was butter-fingered by Petracca, plus he missed about 3 or 4 decent chances. He did some good things and he did a lot of bad things. Tend to agree with schmuttt that a lot of mistakes he's making just shouldn't be acceptable for an AFL player. Just knew he was going to butcher that shot from 25 metres out when he's looking to hand it off to someone. They're not new problems, either. What is Trac doing at training? What are the coaches doing?

Last edited:
Fugly - Garlett. GTFO at years end. No longer offers anything.

Still knows how to run into an open 50 and get on the end of someone else's good work.

I agree with schmuttt, Petracca was a liability and has been all season, he needs to be dropped.

Good: played our brand. McDonald, Gawn, Salem, Jones, Hore (Lever mach 2)
Bad: Petracca, Gartlett, Frost, Viney, Bray shaw, bandwagon channel 7 commentators
Ugly: umpiring in last quarter, our kicking for goal, delivery into forward 50 (AGAIN! Is our team full of idiots who don't listen or is it the coaches?)

Jones? He was bloody atrocious, fumbled, turned it over, got caught

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back