Mid season draft

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
Got a feeling we'll participate in this thing. No idea how though.

I can see us adding another 19/20 year old to our list who we almost picked up last year and is playing well this year.
Can see this possibly happening, we have a history of uncovering diamonds in the rough. Those who think we are going to bring someone in through the mid season draft who positively impact this season - tell em they're dreaming.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can see this possibly happening, we have a history of uncovering diamonds in the rough. Those who think we are going to bring someone in through the mid season draft who positively impact this season - tell em they're dreaming.
I just hope if we do bring someone in they're here next season even if it is on a standard rookie contract.

As you say they can't be expected to make much of an impact.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can see Kersten going to the LTI list
I can't tbh unless his foot is properly ****ed.

We may as well delist him now if he goes on the LTI. Can't see him agreeing to it unless there's quite literally no chance of him playing anyway and can't see the club doing it without his agreeing.

maccamk

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
- If an inactive, injured player is fit to play before the season ends, a club can apply to return that player to the primary list in place of another long-term injured player

In theory we could put Sandi and Kersten on the list and bring them back as other player injuries arise over the season

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
- If an inactive, injured player is fit to play before the season ends, a club can apply to return that player to the primary list in place of another long-term injured player

In theory we could put Sandi and Kersten on the list and bring them back as other player injuries arise over the season

I was the one who pointed this out to this board whenever it was.

A long term injury last year was defined as eight weeks. From Round 10 that’s Round 18 and returning in Round 19.

If Kersten is any chance of playing within eight weeks of the MSD I can’t see him accepting his fate of being delisted at year’s end. If he’s out until Round 19 his AFL career is good as over.

Sandilands I can see happening.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rosco was beaming on TV that Sandilands is back running and looking forward to getting him back later in the year. Unless he has a mishap in the next two weeks he is no chance. Bennell is closing in on a return. The only hope is Kersten and that would depend on unfavourable diagnosis or further surgery. This comment “Weber said that defender Shane Kersten’s progress will be monitored due to challenges after foot surgery” makes me think he will monitored over the next couple of weeks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
I know Daly Andrews exceptionally well and he’s the ultimate professional for his age - he is quoted as saying he would live in Perth if given the opportunity (grew up an Eagles supporter) and there’s no go home factor with him at all. He’s an absolute work horse who gives 110% to footy and training and lifestyle. He’s an incredibly likeable bloke and he’ll have no troubles fitting in at an AFL club. If your club selects him, they’ll have themselves a gem. I’ll probably make the trip over to watch his debut if it comes wherever it is.

And to the fella who asked about the pronunciation, yes it’s pronounced as ‘daily’.

longsuffreosupp

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2002
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not sure why we would delist Kersten, unless another club is interested. Would be pretty good cover forward or back, and would be able to put him on a cheapish retainer.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know Daly Andrews exceptionally well and he’s the ultimate professional for his age - he is quoted as saying he would live in Perth if given the opportunity (grew up an Eagles supporter) and there’s no go home factor with him at all. He’s an absolute work horse who gives 110% to footy and training and lifestyle. He’s an incredibly likeable bloke and he’ll have no troubles fitting in at an AFL club. If your club selects him, they’ll have themselves a gem. I’ll probably make the trip over to watch his debut if it comes wherever it is.

And to the fella who asked about the pronunciation, yes it’s pronounced as ‘daily’.

You're his manager, his mum or his alias. I'm not sure which yet.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not sure why we would delist Kersten, unless another club is interested. Would be pretty good cover forward or back, and would be able to put him on a cheapish retainer.

Don’t need to delist him. If his foot injury will prevent him playing again this season you move him to the LT injury list. That opens up a spot for the mid season draft and then at the end of the year we get the best of both worlds. That is we have first dibs to re-sign the player selected at the mid-season draft and we can resign Kersten provided he makes a full recovery.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

I see him as about as likely to get delisted as Harley Bennell atm tbh.

He’s not 100% gone but if he doesn’t show anything by year’s end he is. We’re cutting at least 5-6 players at year’s end imo and a 26 year old who hadn’t played a game would be a bloody easy target.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I am not a huge Kersten fan, but assuming he can get past his injuries, I am a fan of this kind of contract for him. If he has a great professional attitude and can always be available to play a role when required, then I think it could be good value, especially if we find ourselves in finals contention.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

what's his/your skills, quickness and decision making like?

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
I am not a huge Kersten fan, but assuming he can get past his injuries, I am a fan of this kind of contract for him. If he has a great professional attitude and can always be available to play a role when required, then I think it could be good value, especially if we find ourselves in finals contention.

I’d extend his contract 12 months, minimum wage, assuming he accepts long term injury list for mid season draft. He has the potential to be an excellent defender.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’d extend his contract 12 months, minimum wage, assuming he accepts long term injury list for mid season draft. He has the potential to be an excellent defender.

I don’t think he’s hopeless. I just think he’s undersized as a key defender and we have 4-5 younger and better options to play a third tall role.

Not fussed if we keep him. I just think that a 26 year old who’ll play **** all games this year is the sort of guy who’s usually just about a certainty to be delisted. Really there’s Sandilands and Ballantyne who are gone and Bennell who everyone is assuming is gone. Jones and Meek look rubbish but I doubt the club delists both. If we re-sign Langdon and Tucker and keep our contracted players it’s going to be a bit of a squeeze for list spots.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
I really feel we need to bring in 1 or 2 players through the mid season draft. Our depth is poor, and adding 2 players who are in our best 25 and can put pressure on people for their spot, and let us rest players would help.

I don't see anyone in the WAFL who deserves a spot, and adding a few more midfielders to help out in Peel would help out there as well and make our players look better.

Puregold

All Australian
Jul 29, 2009
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
I don’t think he’s hopeless. I just think he’s undersized as a key defender and we have 4-5 younger and better options to play a third tall role.

Not fussed if we keep him. I just think that a 26 year old who’ll play **** all games this year is the sort of guy who’s usually just about a certainty to be delisted. Really there’s Sandilands and Ballantyne who are gone and Bennell who everyone is assuming is gone. Jones and Meek look rubbish but I doubt the club delists both. If we re-sign Langdon and Tucker and keep our contracted players it’s going to be a bit of a squeeze for list spots.
Not that big a squeeze
Sandi and Ballas gone
Jones or Meek probably too.
Bennell and Kersten next cabs of the rank.
Only Nyhuis pushing for promotion.
Will lose someone to trade - Langdon, and Darcy have legitimate reasons to want a trade. And we may want to try get something for Tucker or Cox

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Not that big a squeeze
Sandi and Ballas gone
Jones or Meek probably too.
Bennell and Kersten next cabs of the rank.
Only Nyhuis pushing for promotion.
Will lose someone to trade - Langdon, and Darcy have legitimate reasons to want a trade. And we may want to try get something for Tucker or Cox

I see 5 players gone, plus maybe Bennell and Hughes
Then you add Darcy, Cox and if Langdon, Tucker or ... choose to leave we could still turn over 7 plus players.
We only have 6 on the injury list, but no one pushing for a spot in the best 22.

Retire
Aaron Sandilands
1 Hayden Ballantyne

Delist
40 Scott Jones
30 Lloyd Meek
22 Shane Kersten

Wait and see
15 Ethan Hughes
13 Harley Bennell
32 Stephen Hill - he will stay on our list, but his fitness will have an impact on the contract we offer.

Don't know enough about these players, but could be under threat.
24 Tom North
45 Tobe Watson

43 Ryan Nyhuis
23 Cameron McCarthy
2 Griffin Logue
16 David Mundy
35 Jason Carter
26 Ed Langdon
19 Connor Blakely
18 Darcy Tucker

Trade or Keep
Darcy and Cox

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m not sure he’s quite up to AFL potential but I love the look of Will Murphy who’s now at Aspley. Tough, strong, quick and clever. Just what we need in our forward line.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I see 5 players gone, plus maybe Bennell and Hughes
Then you add Darcy, Cox and if Langdon, Tucker or ... choose to leave we could still turn over 7 plus players.
We only have 6 on the injury list, but no one pushing for a spot in the best 22.

Retire
Aaron Sandilands
1 Hayden Ballantyne

Delist
40 Scott Jones
30 Lloyd Meek
22 Shane Kersten

Wait and see
15 Ethan Hughes
13 Harley Bennell
32 Stephen Hill - he will stay on our list, but his fitness will have an impact on the contract we offer.

Don't know enough about these players, but could be under threat.
24 Tom North
45 Tobe Watson

43 Ryan Nyhuis
23 Cameron McCarthy
2 Griffin Logue
16 David Mundy
35 Jason Carter
26 Ed Langdon
19 Connor Blakely
18 Darcy Tucker

Trade or Keep
Darcy and Cox
Hughes is holding down a spot in the 22, so not sure why the club wouldn't be giving him another year.

Ausbenito

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't see anyone in the WAFL who deserves a spot, and adding a few more midfielders to help out in Peel would help out there as well and make our players look better.
Marlon Pickett is a far superior player to a number of players on our list Kersten , Hughes, Nyhuis just at a quick look.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Marlon Pickett is a far superior player to a number of players on our list Kersten , Hughes, Nyhuis just at a quick look.
Marlion played poorly in last years finals. I think that's why he ended up being overlooked.

Back