Review Dees v Weagles - the Good, the Bad and the ugly with a cameo appearance from WCE Icon Ben Cousins.

Remove this Banner Ad

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Minus the result, that is the most the Dees have entertained me all year. We keep playing like that and who knows. If we can win two of the next three before the bye (would've thought that impossible before last night) we'll put ourselves in a solid position to make a last ditch effort at finals with a number of players returning in the second half of the season.

This is where I am, and I don’t care if the “we’re already dead and buried” types think it’s hilarious.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
Minus the result, that is the most the Dees have entertained me all year. We keep playing like that and who knows. If we can win two of the next three before the bye (would've thought that impossible before last night) we'll put ourselves in a solid position to make a last ditch effort at finals with a number of players returning in the second half of the season.

Totally agree with that, it does give me hope for the future

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I’m not sure why you’re accepting his mediocrity as ‘very good’. Guess our coaches do the same though, as we’re content to destroy his confidence playing him in the seniors.

A part from his kicking at goal what was mediocre?

17 touches and 2 goal

James_

Senior List
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool
Just going to throw this one out there and I honestly have no proof one way or the other but... you think Gawn might not be that popular down at the club?
I only ask because of the lack of support he received when Port roughed him up at the start of the season and then no one helped him after that flog Vardy was giving it to him last night. Thoughts?

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
So your not aloud to make filthy hore comments in the eagle members area.. i had 1 campaigner tell me over n over they gonna grab my beard n belt me n my mate better not laugh or he'll have both of us. Had another in my face while i was straight faced tryna scare me saying theyve ****ed people up in prison so dont start or ill get the same. Real weird fellas over here

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Preuss has been one of our better forward targets this year

Mmmm, and has been okayish as a ruckman. I'm surprised he's not being played as a forward actually, but I guess Tim Smith's pressure must be considered more valuable.

Point is, we don't need two ruckmen.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Mmmm, and has been okayish as a ruckman. I'm surprised he's not being played as a forward actually, but I guess Tim Smith's pressure must be considered more valuable.

Point is, we don't need two ruckmen.

He did some nice things at times, but I’m not sure I’ll ever forgive him for his hearing issues.

Im not surprised ( i tipped wc, thought they may very well get the job done over there, but be more than happy if we snag a victory out west)
Im not salty or upset, but i do genuinely belive had we had a Full streght side from Back to front we would of won it.
Add Pig, Melk, May, Lever, Hannan (God cant wait for hannan to creat something up forward) AVB, you know our injury report. I feel like the cattle we had out tonight isnt a true reflection of were where at as a club

Agree - very good effort considering the experience and skill we were missing.

We still desperately needed the win, but unfortunately didn’t have composure to execute late.

Great signs from Oliver, TMac and Bray that they are back to their form last year.

Petty was super impressive, Hunt and Petracca showed some spark but Trac needs to be more consistent.

Wagner, Frost & Oscar aren’t up to it - Fritsch isn’t up to it as a defender either.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Definitely the one that got away last night. So many wasted opportunities in front of goal. Gawn was huge again and I loved Hore’s work down back. We’ve certainly found a player there.
Some of the umpiring was horrific. Jetta will certainly be suspended for that dangerous tackle. They was a 2 goal turnaround.
But certainly the best we’ve played all year.

Feb 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Travel being a factor? Respectfully disagree with you on that
We lead at every break, had a lead of what 18 points leading into the final Q. Only we could capitulate that bad, at that time of the game.
I did pick WC, didnt expect us to play as well as we did for the first 3 and bit quarters. Game was lost for us in front of the sticks, petrecca missing a gimme in the first quarter with an oppurtunty to the second goal of the game and Strech missing an absolute soda in the 4th, that would of bought us back to a Kick down. Instead he missed what looked like a 40m drop punt with little pressure and an open paddock in front, for WC to take it down the other end and score a goal
While we should of won , to say only we would capitulate like that is ridiculous. Happens all the time that interstate teams get overrun in the road. I normally don’t question the umpiring but eagles home games at Optus are an outlier. When the games get close they are a huge factor and decisions go the Eagles way. It’s not just last night , it’s every single time.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I just read a comment on another team board that tickled me.

“Sam Frost plays footy like a spooked horse”

I find this offensive. Horses are noted for their calm and placid demeanour and are very...ahhhhhhhhhh a shiny thing! A SHiNY THING!!!!!!!

Ill.just keep running now dont mind me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
Just watching the game again, thought smith shows a lot of potential. If he had of held on to one or two more would have been a fantastic game

Hard to tell what baker can do off the back of that

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
I didn’t see the song but did they really sing “ We’re the Eagles, Melbourne are ****” as is being reported ?
Who the players? Surely not?? They scraped over the line with help from our shocking goal kicking and umpiring help and they sing that? If they did then they have no reality of how bad they actually played.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Personally I reckon frost has become untenable. I know he has some good attributes and does some sexy things, but he just makes too many horrible blunders. And his blunders are often followed directly by oppo goals.

I know they’re different players, but soon as Lever is fit, Frost out and Lever in.

Way off base. Frost was the number 1 intercept defender in the AFL the last month, he's almost single handedly shored up our defence since he's found form. So what if he had some bad kicks, he's not the only one
He nullified Darling while Kennedy smacked Omac

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Annnnd the overreaction has begun. Baker already declared a good kick by some after 6 kicks in his career.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
As for the game, we defender stoically, pressured in the midfield and created chances. I was annoyed we lost but it was a good effort and I enjoyed the footy for the first time this season.

Stretch should never play again. He sucks.

Annnnd the overreaction has begun. Baker already declared a good kick by some after 6 kicks in his career.
If you're referring to my comment (can't see any others) I said 'better than expected'. I expected him to be a hack kick. Was surprised to see he actually had some accuracy and depth to them.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
The good:

First 3 quarters

The bad;

Execution infront of goal
The last quarter

Ugly;
Lewis Jetta in MRO trouble but was paid a free kick for his dangerous tackle

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
If you're referring to my comment (can't see any others) I said 'better than expected'. I expected him to be a hack kick. Was surprised to see he actually had some accuracy and depth to them.

Pretty sure somewhere I said he was giving us distribution we hadn’t had all season. Think it was at the end of the first half in the GDT. Didn’t see much of it after the first quarter but I’ll stand by that.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
As for the game, we defender stoically, pressured in the midfield and created chances. I was annoyed we lost but it was a good effort and I enjoyed the footy for the first time this season.

Stretch should never play again. He sucks.

I’m glad you enjoyed the game! About time.

Agree with you on frost, unfortunately most of us supporters are guilty for remembering the one mistake over the previous 10 good things they’ve done

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Diametrically opposing game styles between the two teams. Had we converted our set shots and not not kicked so many inside 50's directly to Hurn and McGovern our game plan and effort would have won out.

Marks: WC 116 - M 75
Kick to handball ratio: 1.8 - 1.26

Shows a stark difference. We won contested possession +17, clearances +4 and we had 11 marks inside 50 to compared with their 8, as well as 4 more scoring shots.

It falls falls down when you compare conversion:

WC 65% - M 37.5%

And rebound 50's

WC 50 - M 33

Hard to tell on TV if its the forwards not leading properly or the mids not kicking it to the right spots. There was less long bombs in the first 3 quarters than usual this season, but a lot of kicks to 40 m that hit WC defenders lace out (Jones the absolute king of this).

We have improved defensive running, contested work and ground ball defence, but we are still getting cut up when we turn it over kicking it directly to other teams dangerous half backs. If we score on those plays we also drastically decrease the amount of times that oppo score on us. This needs to be our number 1 priority.

Way off base. Frost was the number 1 intercept defender in the AFL the last month, he's almost single handedly shored up our defence since he's found form. So what if he had some bad kicks, he's not the only one
He nullified Darling while Kennedy smacked Omac
Can’t tell if srs, you for real? If true, I might need to reconsider, but I just want to put him through a mincer so often, and those moments stick with me more than his flashy bursts (which usually end in a costly turnover anyway).

However, if he truely is somehow ranked highly in some valuable stat, I would reconsider. Although, I’d like to see how often those intercepts ended up in a favourable outcome for us, factoring the next 30 seconds each time, because see above...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back