• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Who is the greatest indigenous player to have played our unique game of Oz Rules?

Adam Goodes:....372 Games, 464 Goals.....17 seasons from 1999-2015....2x Brownlow Medalist in 2003 & 2006, 3x B&F....2x Premiership player & Captain in 2012....Sydney games record holder.

Likely the most decorated Indigenous player of them all, who could play almost anywhere, due in no small part to his size 191cm, weight 100kgs & fitness....At the peak of his career, likely the premier utility in the competition....His 464 goals is testament to just how damaging & versatile a player he was, given he also played on the ball for a fair chunk of his career.

Lance 'Buddy' Franklin....295 Games, 928 Goals
....15 Seasons from 2005-2019....4x Coleman Medalist in 2008, 11, 14 & 17; 1x B&F at Hawthorn in 2008...2x Premiership Player....11 Times Leading club goalkicker.

Seems destined to break the 300 game, 1000 goal barrier, in which Gordon Coventry alone currently resides....A unique player & talent of freakish athletic abilities at 199cms....Noted for his 65meter raking left-foot goals off an acute angle.....There has simply never been another player like him.

Andrew McLeod....340 Games, 275 Goals.
...16 Seasons from 1995-2010....2x Norm Smith Medalist in 1997 & 1998, 3x B&F in 1997, 2001 & 2007.....2x Premiership player....Adelaide games record holder.

Versatile running machine either off half back, the wing, the middle of the ground or forward of the ball....Highly skilled footballer with superb high-end skills.

Gavin Wanganeen….300 Games, 202 Goals
....16 Seasons from 1991-2006....Brownlow Medalist in 1993, 1x B&F in 2003 at Port Adelaide....First ever Port Adelaide Captain.

The Indian Rubber-Man was as courageous a player as you could ever see, with football smarts & vision on the field almost unrivalled….Used that ability to outpoint bigger & stronger opponents time after time, both in the air & on the ground....His 200 Goals for essentially a career back-pocket surprised me.

Shaun 'Silk' Burgoyne….362 Games, 283 Goals
....18 Seasons from 2002-2019....4x Premiership Player & played in 6 Grand Finals.

Probably the clutch player of the past decade in his ability to step up in big moments in big games on the biggest stage of them all....A Ferrari with silky smooth skills & abilities to match....Not as highly decorated as the other players nominated here, but his longevity & unmatched Finals record puts him comfortably in this company.

Graham 'Polly' Farmer....101 Games, 65 Goals
....6 seasons from 1962-1967....2x B&F in his first 2 years & Captain from 1965-1967....Premiership player & clear Norm Smith inner in the 1963 Grand Final.

Most of Polly's reputation was earned playing over in W/A, but he merely cemented it with his 6 seasons here in Victoria with the Cats; Where his ruck supremacy, tap-Work & exquisite 40 meter hand-balls, took the game by storm....The Cats were never out of the Top 4 while he was there.

Peter Matera....253 Games, 217 Goals
....13 Seasons from 1990-2002....1x Norm Smith Medalist in 1992, 1x B&F in 1997....Dual Premierships in 1992 & 1994.

Lightning fast electric running machine, with phenomenal agility & a booming 60 meter kick....Matera single-handedly cut the Cats to ribbons in the 1992 Grand Final, with the most dominant half of football I have ever witnessed by a wingman, in kicking 5 goals....I'd rate him up there just behind Greig & Flower.

• Banned
Cable is in this top group.

At least above Matera, Burgoyne & Wanganeen.

Perhaps....But he didn't play enough football here in Victoria, although his handballing was certainly elite & he played in North's Golden Era….He never really did enough to stand out from the other mid-field guns of his era to my recollection.

He was definitely a trail-blazer though.

Maybe if you could provide some of his W/A stats.

Perhaps....But he didn't play enough football here in Victoria, although his handballing was certainly elite & he played in North's Golden Era….He never really did enough to stand out from the other mid-field guns of his era to my recollection.

He was definitely a trail-blazer though.

Maybe if you could provide some of his W/A stats.

Ok, maybe you need to change the title of the tread :-

“ Greatest indigenous player to have played VFL / AFL “

For the greatest indigenous players to have played the game, Cable as I said is above those chaps.

Won’t even start on M Rioli & TI.

• Banned
Ok, maybe you need to change the title of the tread :-

“ Greatest indigenous player to have played VFL / AFL “

For the greatest indigenous players to have played the game, Cable as I said is above those chaps.

Won’t even start on M Rioli & TI.

O.K masai, I've added both Cable & M.Rioli to the poll at your insistence....As to this TI fella...?

Last edited:
Goodes the best I've seen. Polly and Cable have fantastic reputations too, so will place votes on them too.

Would be interested to see an all time indigenous 22. Unsure who the key defenders would be though.

Goodes the best I've seen. Polly and Cable have fantastic reputations too, so will place votes on them too.

Would be interested to see an all time indigenous 22. Unsure who the key defenders would be though

Check my current thread on the 'Lists' board....Gary Malarkey & Patrick Ryder are the key defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back