Autopsy Round 9, 2019: Collingwood v St.Kilda *Bruce 100th, Savage 150th, Young debut*

Remove this Banner Ad

i think that's probably why they're rucking him, to get him into the contest. then they play him as a forward who pushes up high. problem is blake isn't performing to his role. maybe he's just not the player we have seen glimpses of. i dunno why but he reminds me a bit of a laid back version of jack watts.
Not only that, he is just not an inside mid.. He needs space to be effective.. he played as a roaming half back/wing player in the juniors, can carry the ball and long kick to 50.. but that’s the thing, he maybe built like Sydney’s Josh Kennedy, but you can’t teach an outside player to play inside mid half way through his career.. to start, he does not have the concentration level, competitiveness; intensity; game sense and in-close clean handball skills of an elite inside mid, he can step through traffic when he has some space to work with, but in a congestion of 6-7 players, he is not as effective..

Went today.

Competitive for 3 quarters but terrible goal kicking.
Lost it in the 2nd as had most of the of ball yet couldn't score.

Good to see Young get a go.

Nothing is going up change until we see two.more elite mids. Simples.

Structures are good IMO. Entire are rubbish because of ordinary players.

Put some silk in there and will look a different team.

Got smashed in the trade thread but the club should and will make some hard calls.

The silence around Acres is as loud as his absence in the game. And many more like him.

There will be gradual improvement, but in the end their class won them the game... Class that we don't have.

i think we just need to be a bit more hard line in our assessment. i think we tend to let it go on longer than it should as club. i think because we are mindful of the past and the instability the club had. so everything drifts out. i think we need to reign that in a bit. i'm not talking about sacking everyone here. i'm talking about hold everything up to a standard and being prepared to make change when it doesn't meet that standard. not be afraid to make change because we are scared the change might be worse than what we already have. if we do nothing we will continue to be a middle of the ladder club. falling between the bottom 6 and the 9th.

so i think we need to back our selves in to move the pieces. rather than letting everything go on. we do that across all areas then we would see the senior coach moved on. we would see players like blake acres moved on. i also think we would tap finnis on the shoulder and say, mate you've had 5 full seasons to get this club to playing finals. like the senior coach you've had more support than any other CEO that came before you. you have a better stadium deal. you have more AFL funding. you have stabilised the business, brought in sponsors and delivered a fantastic outcome at moorabbin but the onfield and the whole reason we are here hasn't happened, so we are going to bring in someone who has a greater ability in improving the football club as a whole, rather than pieces of it.

and you know what, here's the thing. i'm yet to see this club turn into a horrendous pile of crap because of a change we made. if fans don't walk out after last on mass. then it aint going to happen if finnis and richo are moved on. nor acres and so on. if the worst we've done is netters appointing richo and pelchen, yet we are still not bottom of the ladder year after year, then i doubt other changes will put us in a worse position.

what i do know though, is if we back in the same again, we are only going to get the same results.

Sorry what does the membership department have to do with anything?

I like your posts mate as much as you probably don't believe me but c'mon, it's obvious what the issues are. We are horrible at entry and score. It's not some issue that also permeates through the entire football club. If we get to years end and we have bottled it he will go. I'm not an advocate for Richo but keep that for the Richo thread. We fell asleep in the last quarter and that's it. Thankfully we have a much easier stretch to end the year.

5 why's.

why is the entry and score still horrible... it's not a new problem. its been there for multiple seasons.

I didnt really expect them to beat Collingwood , we tried hard up till the last change but then class took over . There was a reason that they finished where they did last year and we finished where we did . I still think we are on the right track for the future . We just cant cover the players we have out . The players who have come into the side have done well this season but they got found out a bit in the last quarter by a better team .

Don’t Panic !!
We lack genuine class. Great triers but a few too many GOPs. We have potential stars, but we're not there yet. Get to work, Gubby.

*interesting fact: Alec Guinness is an anagram of genuine class.

That's Richo third from the right and the one just left of centre looks like you.have you had something done to your black dots? Looks good.
Too drunk to understand that but OK

Harvey, Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Goddard, Ball, Jones, Thompson, Black, Powell, Baker....

We had all those midfielders at the SAME TIME!! And here I am just hoping for just two of these guys right now. Chalk and cheese.
Ahh.. the good old times when we more than hold our own in the midfield and have Harvey/Hays/Dal Santo/Goddard/Montagna hitting our forwards inside 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeh because i so said that... mate don't whinge at others when they post like this when you've literally done the exact same thing here.
Sorry you're right. In future I'll want the entire club sacked because of a loss. Not spin. Sorry about whinging.

Ahh.. the good old times when we actually controls the midfield..

it's not going to be fixed any time soon. we are literally talking about a complete rebuild of the midfield. i think what we have identified through this entire exercise is that it's easier to rebuild your spine than it is to rebuild your midfield.

which goes against the grain of what people having been banging on about since day 1 of the rebuild. "you need to rebuild your spine, it takes longer."... yet we found the replacements for our KPF and KPD relatively quick. even with injuries we've found serviceable replacements. we found carlisle, brown, bruce, membrey, roberton, marshall quicker than it's taken us to find 1 inside mid. then injuries hit and we've found marsh and wilkie in 1 season mind you.

we desperately need an inside mid and we can't find one.

Feel sorry for the guys not getting the reward for effort in conversion. The inability to put on scoreboard pressure totally killed us.
Look like a bunch of honest battlers without the class to win the big games.

We can't expect to win many games when we can't score more than 80 points, our defence isn't that good.

I'm wondering if it's a club or AFL record of some sort....that's the 4th week in a row that we've kicked 10 goals.

Until we can somehow kick more goals we aint going anywhere.

VDS66 raised the issue a few weeks back and said his alarm bells were ringing.....as were mine.....that our wins consisted of low goal scoring and just falling over the line(Melb game excepted)

Harvey, Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Goddard, Ball, Jones, Thompson, Black, Powell, Baker....

We had all those midfielders at the SAME TIME!! And here I am just hoping for just two of these guys right now. Chalk and cheese.
Therein lies at least part of the answer.

I'm wondering if it's a club or AFL record of some sort....that's the 4th week in a row that we've kicked 10 goals.

Until we can somehow kick more goals we aint going anywhere.

VDS66 raised the issue a few weeks back and said his alarm bells were ringing.....as were mine.....that our wins consisted of low goal scoring and just falling over the line(Melb game excepted)

he was on the money

Remove this Banner Ad

Back