Review Pies 112-71 Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

The guy standing next to me at the G was stressing big-time. Told him the boys will stand when it matters. For me, this game was never in doubt because:

a. This team knows how to win, even when they made us look slow I knew the boys would bounce back. This group of young men has gelled.
b. I doubted St Kilda's ability to apply that pressure for 4 quarters.

and most importantly...

c. We're farkin awesome.

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ha, ha, brilliant. We were sitting in M25 and the standing room ferals up the back started chanting “nah, nah,nah, nah ... nah, nah, nah, nah .... hey, hey goodbye” at the Saints supporters getting up and leaving after stevo’S barrel. It was gold
That’s not the best part. In the second quarter he leant out of the box and screamed out “bring back Stevie Baker”. Haha few too many ham and pineapple’s by that stage me thinks. :moustache:

Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cox, DeGoo, Adams, Sier, Moore and Billy - each and every one supposedly critical to our 2019 chances out with Checkers copping a couple of head knocks and Langers out for the last half almost.

So a lot of the cream missing from the mix but we still rise to the occasion, some of you on here will never acknowledge the power and relentlessness of this group but I guarantee you all the other senior coaches and 90% of the media are very much aware of it.

It is partly the playing list but mostly the system that is the key to this team - lose a player, simples, just plug another of the multi positional trained soldiers in and continue on.

We proved it last year and are doing so again this year but even better yet some of you will not relent.

If I hear one more time about how much this team is overrated, or this midfield is overrated I'm going to lose it big time.

Those of you who keep trotting out that absolute and utter trash have no idea.
Relax mate. It was a great win, enjoy it.

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
Massive last term on the back of some individual brilliance of Sidebottom, Stephenson and Grundy.
We won pretty much every key contest that had to be won in the last.

Ben Reid - everyone thought he would be out after this week but he has now played 2 of the 3 games exceptionally well.
Has kicked 4 goals across all 3- and had direct goal assist in another 2 or 3.

16 disposals today- 5 contested marks (7 in total) and 3 goals especially when things looked grim up until 3qtr time....
To put into perspective Cox has kicked 9 goals in 6 games for the season...

I'd make Cox return via the VFL.

Reid stays in.

Last edited:
Great last qtr. And again, when we do turn it on, we destroy sides.
We used to be out of the gates, for 2 weeks in a row we save the best for last.
If only we can do it consistently.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Massive last term on the back of some individual brilliance of Sidebottom, Stephenson and Grundy.

Ben Reid - everyone thought he would be out after this week but he has now played 2 of the 3 games exceptionally well.
Has kicked 7 goals across all 3- and had direct goal assist in another 2 or 3.

16 disposals today- 5 contested marks (7 in total) and 3 goals especially when things looked grim up until 3qtr time....

Reid stays in.

Where’d you get the 7 from? Reid’s kicked 4. I’d bring Cox back through the twos as well though because three talls is going to be really tough without a serious injection of pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Great last qtr. And again, when we do turn it on, we destroy sides.
We used to be out of the gates, for 2 weeks in a row we save the best for last.
If only we can do it consistently.
We are doing it consistently - consistently enough to win games comfortably without exhausting bodies which leaves them wide open to fatigue related injuries.

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
Where’d you get the 7 from? Reid’s kicked 4. I’d bring Cox back through the twos as well though because three talls is going to be really tough without a serious injection of pace.

Apologies...4.
I was thinking 4.1 instead of 1.4 against Port.

Nonetheless, he gives us a different look as he can mark in various ways and spots on ground.

Jafo

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Happy we’re still moving the cogs to the machine that we keep winning some way. Even with some decent outs.

Maybe still scared from last year’s GF but still not yet convinced we’re the team to beat.

Would love to see the day return when we’re the most hated team as well as most loved. Striking fear into any team we meet.

Been awhile since we had a dominant era like Lions, Cats and Hawks of recent. I want that.

We are doing it consistently - consistently enough to win games comfortably without exhausting bodies which leaves them wide open to fatigue related injuries.
True we are racking up points and even % while only shifting into high gear a qtr per match. To beat the WCE and Geelongs of this comp, it takes 4 qtrs.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know it’s reflected in our percentage, and I know we started to do it regularly last year, but it’s worth emphasising - we have kicked over 100 points in 5 of our 9 games to date; and in 4 of our last 5.

That’s an outstanding effort, but also what we should be doing against some of these lesser sides. More so where the consensus seems to be that the 6-6-6 rule is impacting on high scores.
And we keep winning the 1st quater

Finn Jim

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

Has kicked 4 goals across all 3- and had direct goal assist in another 2 or 3.

Reid stays in.

That's gonna be a headache for selection. Both seem to be very streaky players with the potential to either kick 3 with 5+ marks, or have 2 disposals for the match and not feature. Reid has more athleticism around the loose ball, Cox draws more attention from the defense (and height, duh). The trick would be making sure the one who is in form on the day is the one who is in the side. For now I agree that Cox should go to the VFL, if nothing else to get back into match condition, but going forward this will be a continuing discussion possibly into September. They are effectively the same player on the stat sheet.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
True we are racking up points and even % while only shifting into high gear a qtr per match. To beat the WCE and Geelongs of this comp, it takes 4 qtrs.
Sure it does but until we meet them it's hopefully a non issue and even when we do it may not be as crucial as you think to take the points.

The home and away season (that is effectively a complete misnomer now) is just the staging area for the assault on the finals so enough wins and percentage to finish top 4 is the first and main goal.

Secondary goal is to finish there with enough fit and form players to complete the assault.

Managing player and team list loads is the best way to achieve that.

Last season opened my eyes enough to see that winning is the key and winning big is great but it can have a cost - both to the team and the young men who will be forced to live with the long term effects of the injuries they incur during their careers.

Best way of increasing injuries is to run players into the ground with exhaustion in search of percentage.

A balanced quest of winning by enough and giving the playing list ACHIEVABLE long term benchmarks should ensure a healthy balanced list.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
One soldier goes down another soldier steps up.

Win. Rack up the four points.

Keep going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back